Fuel Flap Cover No Longer Sitting Flush

MikeMc88

2018 Highline
T6 Pro
I filled up my tank a few days ago and stupidly left the flap open when I drove off. My brother got out of the passenger side and walked straight into the flap. This is what it looks like now.

20190729_064005.jpg

I lost the spring so I purchased a new 1 thinking that would solve the problem, but I fitted it and the fuel flap is still not sitting right. May have possibly bent something but I cant see what.

20190729_064021.jpg

Has anybody else had this problem and if so, how did you fix it?

Last edited:
@DaveF Tried WD40 last night and unfortunately still the same. I thought it would be a simple fix but it looks like a trip to the garage.

Mine was proud as well, asked the VW dealer to check it when it was I for a service and they wanted £180 to fit and spray a new one. WD40 fixed it for me!

I have just spoke to VW and they have got me booked in for next Tuesday to have a look at it. He said he cant guarantee without seeing it first but they may be able to do it under warranty. Cant see it happening but 1 can hope :rolleyes: I will keep trying the wd40 and hopefully I can sort it out myself.

I have been out to have another look at it and I noticed this part looks like it is bent. Can someone confirm this is supposed be that way or have I found my potential problem.

Is anybody close to their van who could maybe take a pic of the fuel flap open and post it here so I can see exactly what it should look like please. It would be very much appreciated.
20190730_102346[1].jpg

The metal spring that I have replaced is quite loose also. The original one looked more curved. Do I need to bent the little metal piece around too tighten it up?

@mmi Thank you that is perfect. It looks like mine is slightly bent in comparison. I will see if I can straighten it out.

Thanks for the clip pic also, I make sure that is bent around the hinge pin.

Reactions: mmi
Difficult to explain in words but from your picture there are two bars (left and right) which are pivoted in the middle of your picture. Looking at the pivot it's centre line in not perpendicular to the lay of the bars. You can see the fold down at the left hand end of the right bar which is supposed to stop the flap opening too far has rode up under the force thus twisting the pivot line.
As it is shown in the picture the faces of the bars are parallel where they meet at the pivot pin but not in line with the lay of the bars. When the flap Is closed over, the right side bar will rotate to the left and will try to twist the pivot. Thus getting stiff.
I would try gripping the pivot top and bottom with some grips and twist it anticlockwise slightly until the pivot looks vertical. (Right angles to the lay of the bars)
Hope that makes sense and helps.

I have tried to bend it back into position but had no luck. I did manage to get it sitting a little more flush but not much. I booked it in to lookers and they wont do it under warranty. So it looks like £172 (including parts and labour) to replace the fuel flap.

I have tried to bend it back into position but had no luck. I did manage to get it sitting a little more flush but not much. I booked it in to lookers and they wont do it under warranty. So it looks like £172 (including parts and labour) to replace the fuel flap.

Hi MikeMc I goofed up whilst fitting my swivel seat plate and put a lovely scratch in the paint work of mine, spoke to a couple of local companies and they suggested a new flap would be similar price to getting a repair. How much did your new one end up costing you and did you get it from a main dealer ?

@MikeMc88 cheers ! nothing like the feeling of putting a dent in the wallet over stupid mistakes. Right I'm off to practice my keepie-ups in the greenhouse......

@MikeMc88 Mine is the same now too, 66 plate.
Not sure I'll be getting Lookers to do anything with mine, will try the WD40 approach.
Third time I've tried to get my swivel seat plastic trim correctly sorted, loosing confidence.

Back