Fuel filter replaced but van won’t start [Resolved]

cy294

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Morning all. Just changed the fuel filter this morning after reading all the threads on here.

However, I don't have VCDS and wasn't able to fill the new filter before fitting it back in.

Tried the turning of the key several times. It started and then cut out. So I have tried turning the key on and off again and opening the drivers door several times. Tried starting and no luck, and I've repeated this about 3 times and the engine just turns over.

Help!!!!!

How long did you crank it for?
It will eventually start. Just be careful not to overheat the starter motor. Leave it time to cool down between tries.

I
How long did you crank it for?
It will eventually start. Just be careful not to overheat the starter motor. Leave it time to cool down between tries.
I left crank for 3 seconds. I've repeated the cycling of the key approx 10 times on 3 separate occasions and cracked about 3 times too for approx 3 secs.

Worried now I've gone and ruined the engine.

Cycle the ignition 20 or 30 times so you can hear the tank pump running and stopping, then crank it in bursts to stop cooking the starter. It will start once the air is purged.

Cycle the ignition 20 or 30 times so you can hear the tank pump running and stopping, then crank it in bursts to stop cooking the starter. It will start once the air is purged.
I'll give it a whirl, but absolutely pooping my pants I've messed it up.

+

+

No. Turning ignition on does not turn on pump in the fuel tank. Cranking the engine starts the pump.

Thanks for all the replies. Still no joy unfortunately.

I've taken all the leads off that are attached to the fuel filter to see of there was an air and reattached them.

Fuel seems to be in the filter, but it just won't start. Cracked it but it won't fire. Wondering now if I have to bleed the system or just get VCDS or equivalent. OMG

It could take 2 or 3mins of cranking before it starts. But do it in 5-10second bursts so that you don't overheat the starter motor. Keep an eye on how hot the starter gets and give it 10-15mins to cool when required.

Vcds and obd11 can run the lift pumps.

Not sure about Carista.

Can't you call VW assist if your in 3 or 5 year warranty?

Or just call AA out? If your a member..... Or just call and join.?

Prob cheaper than buying vcds?..... If it's just for a fuel prime?

Also look at the map.

Maybe a local T6F vcds user near you.

Might do it for beer tokens.

Even with priming by cycling the ignition, my old 2.5 T5 took a long time cranking to get it running. Once the high pressure system has air in it, it will take a while to clear, and no amount of priming with the tank pump will clear it.
What's happened here, is the low pressure system wasn't primed properly, and now air has entered the high pressure system, you'll just have to keep cranking until it clears.

Even with priming by cycling the ignition, my old 2.5 T5 took a long time cranking to get it running. Once the high pressure system has air in it, it will take a while to clear, and no amount of priming with the tank pump will clear it.
What's happened here, is the low pressure system wasn't primed properly, and now air has entered the high pressure system, you'll just have to keep cranking until it clears.
I'll give it another go tomorrow and see what happens. I'll post an update.

How long have you cranked it for already? It'll take a bit before it will start. Maybe 15-20 tries of 10sec each.
If you have a battery charger it'd be worth doing 5 more cranks now (10seconds long with 10secs rest between each crank to let the starter cool) and then putting the battery on charge. And then trying again this evening.

Thanks for the info @paddy26. I've had to leave it for now, but will try what you and others have suggested. Appreciate your help and also others. I'll keep you posted.

Update - it works! I ended taking out the fuel filter to check there was diesel in there, which there was. I reattached the hose lines and cranked it as per @paddy2 suggested and it fired up.

Then left it run for a few minutes and all is good. But I will in the future be looking at a non VCDS diagnostic machine (DIY mechanic on other cars) that has the function to prime the filter.

So, thank you all who replied and thanks for giving me the confidence to just peservere a few more times, as it was stressing me out.

Stay safe everyone :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back