Front strut removal T30 HL

Monkster1

Paramedic
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all, Information needed please.

I'm hopefully going to be fitting a full B12 kit in the coming weeks and shodding my LR Discovery 511's which were moth-balled 4 years ago. I need a bit of clarification please on front strut removal. Mines a MY18 102 Highline Day van conversion. I've had Mcphearson struts out to replace springs on a few cars over the years thanks to the UK's abundance of speed bumps so I'm happy to crack on when the time's right. All the threads are greased and prepped ready.

My main query, even after watching loads of YouTube videos is - do I have to disconnect the drive shafts and bottom ball joints or (like I've managed before) just release the pinch bolts and slide the struts up and out?

I just want to be prepared for the worst as it were so the van isn't laid up whilst I'm waiting on parts / tools. To me the current strut length looks a bit tight so a bit of experienced advice would be invaluable.

Secondly, being a tight Yorkshire bloke, can I retro fit the H&R ARBs and new drop links in a few months when the van pot allows?

Thanks

ARBs, yes you can retro fit at a later date no problem.

From experience, it's MUCH easier to drop the ball joint and driveshaft to facilitate replacement.

You might want to remove the caliper and disc as well so the hub is lighter for when it comes to rebuilding.

Hi all, Information needed please.

I'm hopefully going to be fitting a full B12 kit in the coming weeks and shodding my LR Discovery 511's which were moth-balled 4 years ago. I need a bit of clarification please on front strut removal. Mines a MY18 102 Highline Day van conversion. I've had Mcphearson struts out to replace springs on a few cars over the years thanks to the UK's abundance of speed bumps so I'm happy to crack on when the time's right. All the threads are greased and prepped ready.

My main query, even after watching loads of YouTube videos is - do I have to disconnect the drive shafts and bottom ball joints or (like I've managed before) just release the pinch bolts and slide the struts up and out?

I just want to be prepared for the worst as it were so the van isn't laid up whilst I'm waiting on parts / tools. To me the current strut length looks a bit tight so a bit of experienced advice would be invaluable.

Secondly, being a tight Yorkshire bloke, can I retro fit the H&R ARBs and new drop links in a few months when the van pot allows?

Thanks
Hi,

You won't get the strut out just by loosening the clamp bolts, there just isn't enough room. You've watched many videos already by the sound of it, but this one from Autodoc isn't a bad one for showing a sensible way of doing it.

Cheers.

Chris.

Hi,

You won't get the strut out just by loosening the clamp bolts, there just isn't enough room. You've watched many videos already by the sound of it, but this one from Autodoc isn't a bad one for showing a sensible way of doing it.

Cheers.

Chris.

Thanks Chris. Yes saw this one (silent movie) and thought as much. The one from Dan Chambers was similar although he was doing a few deletes at the same time whereas I'm staying pretty basic. :thumbsup:

Back