What's This On My Van?

Tonio

Hi there,

I've just bought a T6 campervan and joined the forum. I've not even had a chance to go away yet but looking forward to doing so in the next couple of weeks. I'm sure I'll have loads of questions over the coming months and this forum looks like a good place to post them or find answers, but for the moment... I have a black plastic box (about 75mm square) showing through the lower grill below the VW logo and above the number plate. I assume it is part of the van rather than the conversion but don't know what it does. (or is it a blank whee an optional extra fits). Can anybody tell me please?

IMG_0336.JPG

It’s the forward looking radar for the emergency city braking and the ACC if fitted.

Cheers Salty,

I didn't really pay too much attention to van 'features' other than the ones I specifically wanted. I'll dig around and see if I can tell if I have them. It certainly looks like more than a blank, so I am assuming I have at least on of the two. I don't think I'll be trying a practical test of the emergency breaking though!!!

Cheers Salty,

I didn't really pay too much attention to van 'features' other than the ones I specifically wanted. I'll dig around and see if I can tell if I have them. It certainly looks like more than a blank, so I am assuming I have at least on of the two. I don't think I'll be trying a practical test of the emergency breaking though!!!
If you have ACC, you will have buttons on the left hand side of the steering wheel to control it. I think emergency city braking is standard now, depending on MY.

You’ll have city braking as standard. If you have ACC too you’ll have this button on your steering wheel

92BAC56D-59E9-4865-B4F5-A702A31C63A8.jpeg

That's that one sorted then, thanks. Definitely not got those buttons and I don't recall ACC when I was driving it home from the showroom.

New to transporters, and just wondering what the function of this is?

6E5A71E1-A5B2-4CBC-BCD3-1AE755AFFB13.jpeg
2D24605F-72DD-407E-8B8D-59F8383A5ADC.jpeg

Something electrical. I figured out that much.

According to the connector number it’s radar, collision avoidance I guess.

Last edited:
Front radar detector
It’s used for city braking as standard and if your van has auto cruise control that uses it too

I don’t think my van has cruise control, And a cover would make it look neater.
Auto braking? Where would I find a willing volunteer to test if that works...

“just stand there..... it’ll stop. I’m sure”

Not at home at the moment to look but I dug this pic out and zoomed in so it's v blurry but it definitely has a cover on itIMG_2037.PNG

It’s for the collision braking and adaptive cruise control. It should have a cover on it like thsi

49758270-281D-4FE0-8086-DC6994505D8F.jpeg

Auto braking? Where would I find a willing volunteer to test if that works...

“just stand there..... it’ll stop. I’m sure”
Just take your foot off the accelerator as you approach a vehicle in front of you turning left, expecting to time it to perfection so as he turns off the main carriageway you can start to accelerate again. Your van will then say “STOP” very suddenly and scare the S*** out of you as it brakes for you, because it can’t see the indicator flashing, just a vehicle rapidly approaching from the front ;). It is however reassuring to know it does work.

The less stressful way to see if it is working is to just drive too closely to the vehicle in front of you on the motorway and it will show you a nice symbol on your instrument panel to highlight that you are too close.

Yes!!
Just take your foot off the accelerator as you approach a vehicle in front of you turning left, expecting to time it to perfection so as he turns off the main carriageway you can start to accelerate again. Your van will then say “STOP” very suddenly and scare the S*** out of you as it brakes for you, because it can’t see the indicator flashing, just a vehicle rapidly approaching from the front ;). It is however reassuring to know it does work.

The less stressful way to see if it is working is to just drive too closely to the vehicle in front of you on the motorway and it will show you a nice symbol on your instrument panel to highlight that you are too close.
that is so true! I’ve seen them turning just about to go round them and you get this BEEP and suddenly the van slams on the brakes and brake peddle disappears! Then I find somewhere to change my boxers :D
I had it today where a bush was sticking out and it all of a sudden slammed the brakes on.. looked like a right lunatic van jerking all over the place

Back