Front Parking Camera.... Aftermarket Retrofit

Mikeylar

Hi.
Does anyone have any experience of retrofitting a front parking Camera and feeding it to the existing head unit that the factory fitted rear camera goes to?
I'm asking whether this is a feasible option rather than about the actual practicality of doing it as I'm OK with that sort of thing. I thought that if you could have a camera on the front of the van and a button on the dash to switch it on when needed would be a good alternative to aftermarket sensors. Any thoughts greatly appreciated
Cheers
2018 T6 Highline T30 150bhp

Hi.
Does anyone have any experience of retrofitting a front parking Camera and feeding it to the existing head unit that the factory fitted rear camera goes to?
I'm asking whether this is a feasible option rather than about the actual practicality of doing it as I'm OK with that sort of thing. I thought that if you could have a camera on the front of the van and a button on the dash to switch it on when needed would be a good alternative to aftermarket sensors. Any thoughts greatly appreciated
Cheers
I've tried to do this. With the VW headunit I tried (330+) it wasn't feasible, the camera screen would only come alive when told by the CANbus that reverse was selected, meaning you can never get the front one to show. The only solution I found was an aftermarket monitor. I don't know if all VW headunits will behave the same, but I would guess so. No issue with an aftermarket headunit with a manually selectable AV input. My experiments in these threads. If you find a way round it please let me know as I'm still keen to get it working
360 camera
Rcd330+

Last edited:
Hi.
Cheers
Off course this can be done with factory head unit. I am going to retrofit front camera to my Discover Media unit soon:whistle:

Hardware wise you just need the following:
1 off camera(front, non mirror view)
1 off ordinary automotive relay(5 PIN)

That's it, no messing :whistle:

The whole trick is about modifing the coding and adaptions to trigger infotainment camera input to come on by pressing console parking sensors activation switch.
And then cut existing reversing camera signal feed and run it through the N/O contacts of the relay.
Front camera needs to be connected to the infotainment unit via N/C contacts and relay coil gets trigger from reversing lights.;)
Very simple.:)
And no worries relay on the video line won't cause any interferences.:cool:

Ah, so easy, ok, understod, that i can do with RNS510, too,
But. The Lines that are been inserted into the picture by the RNS510. arent they bending the wrong way when using for front ?

Ah, so easy, ok, understod, that i can do with RNS510, too,
But. The Lines that are been inserted into the picture by the RNS510. arent they bending the wrong way when using for front ?
I have limited experience with RNS510 but I am pretty sure that directional lines are produced by the parktronic or camera control unit. Happy to be corrected.:cool:
And as you know type of the video input taken by the head unit(RGB - 4 wires, CVBS - 2 wires) needs to be taken into consideration too when selecting the front camera.;)

Reactions: mmi
Brigade do very good cameras, most trucks and commercials run them, even good at night reversing, I had one on the roof of my Mercedes Benz Sprinter and it worked faultless, with their monitor you could run multiple cameras

I have limited experience with RNS510 but I am pretty sure that directional lines are produced by the parktronic or camera control unit. Happy to be corrected.:cool:
My Bad, you are right.
Since the Camera itself does not have the SteeringWheel information (because it is not connected to the Can Bus), than the Radio or the PLA Modul (camera signal is wiered throught the PLA) will do the "Directional Lines"
Googleing aout the PLA Modul i found "Trajektorienmodul" as description, So it is likely that the PLA is doing the "Directional Lines"

Still same problem, if using the already availabe PLA Modul, the Lines will be wrong, ore not ? Is there a Signal to tell the PLA that this is Front-Camera ?

Edit, that was for T5.2 with RNS510
Looking into T6 wiering i see that Video Signal (FBAS) is going directly from Camera to DM.
And Camera still is not connected to canbus.
So only DM can Overlay the "Directional Lines"

Edit again:
Now i read on ebay that there are Cameras which add the "Directional Lines"
Hm but how do they know the SteeringAngle ?

Someone with Knowlage here ?

Last edited:
T6 doesnt have moving direction lines they are static and the static lines are generated by the camera

My Bad, you are right.
Since the Camera itself does not have the SteeringWheel information (because it is not connected to the Can Bus), than the Radio or the PLA Modul (camera signal is wiered throught the PLA) will do the "Directional Lines"
Googleing aout the PLA Modul i found "Trajektorienmodul" as description, So it is likely that the PLA is doing the "Directional Lines"

Still same problem, if using the already availabe PLA Modul, the Lines will be wrong, ore not ? Is there a Signal to tell the PLA that this is Front-Camera ?

Edit, that was for T5.2 with RNS510
Looking into T6 wiering i see that Video Signal (FBAS) is going directly from Camera to DM.
And Camera still is not connected to canbus.
So only DM can Overlay the "Directional Lines"

Edit again:
Now i read on ebay that there are Cameras which add the "Directional Lines"
Hm but how do they know the SteeringAngle ?

Someone with Knowlage here ?
Just watch the video again and you will see that static and directional lines are "associated" with reversing camera only.
There is no lines when front camera is active. It would be cool to have them as well but that is definitely quite challenging task.
But having said so there are some (inexpensive) cameras that I have used in the past with built in "sort of gyroscope" that drives dynamics lines and it works kind of okay.

The first T6 204 I test drove had moving guide lines when reversing

I know you can retrofit a 'highline' camera from a toureg or similar that has the steering angle sensor interface to add the moving guidelines but im not aware of this ever being standard on a T6

Brigade do very good cameras, most trucks and commercials run them, even good at night reversing, I had one on the roof of my Mercedes Benz Sprinter and it worked faultless, with their monitor you could run multiple cameras
It is so funny that you have mentioned this company. I know exact Korean company that used to be their supplier for ages, maybe still is. I even met the Korean managment;). Very interesting people and extraordinary experience. And yes they do good quality stuff :thumbsup:.

Reactions: mmi
I just use my EYES they don't need any added connections or controls. But I do see better with my specs on!

When I drive the car in my avatar such luxuries that you all describe are just a dream (it's got 6v electrics for a start).

I am still wondering where I should locate my from camera:unsure:
What do you think gents?
4__34514.1539688358.1280.1280.JPG

Back