Front Grille chrome removal

MRA15

Looking for some advice regarding front grill. Recently purchased t6 high line black edition.

The front grill is a bit to bling (chrome) for my liking. The badge I have found is an easy fix but the front grill also has a chrome strip. Is the clipped on or stuck on ? How can I go about removing this without having to drop the whole bumper. I just want black grill but don’t really want to drop whole front end off.

Thanks in advance

The strips should be glued on and you shouldn't need to remove the whole bumper to gt it out.

Standard factory for I believe. So this is in fact glued on rather than clipped ? How best to remove in that case ? Cheers

C9224781-1A09-409D-801E-8AB4CE291B3A.jpeg

Standard factory for I believe. So this is in fact glued on rather than clipped ? How best to remove in that case ? Cheers

View attachment 86714
That chrome trim is clipped on and is removable without taking the bumper and grill off. They aren’t always easy though and the clips can be stubborn so you need to be patient to avoid breaking anything. Use some plastic trim tools and be careful. It is easier with the grill off so you can work from behind too, but it’s bumper off to get the grill off.

Bear in mind that under that trim isn’t simply a matching piece of grill to the rest, there are slots for the clips to locate into and it won’t look very tidy. It’s more common to have that trim painted, or wrap it in some vinyl to get the best match you can.

That chrome trim is clipped on and is removable without taking the bumper and grill off. They aren’t always easy though and the clips can be stubborn so you need to be patient to avoid breaking anything. It is easier with the grill off so you can work from behind too, but it’s bumper off to get the grill off. Use some plastic trim tools and be careful.

Bear in mind that under that trim isn’t simply a matching piece of grill to the rest, there are slots for the clips to locate into and it won’t look very tidy. It’s more common to have that trim painted, or wrap it in some vinyl to get the best match you can.
That’s great Thankyou ChrisR

In the next few days I will be fitting my newly sprayed highline front bumper, gloss black grills etc.. unfortunately i have broken a few of the little clip in tabs on the back of the chrome badge, i dont think it will properly clip in place securely now. I was thinking of using a bit of "sticks like s**t" to bond it on ?? Any other ideas please ???

That chrome trim is clipped on and is removable without taking the bumper and grill off. They aren’t always easy though and the clips can be stubborn so you need to be patient to avoid breaking anything. Use some plastic trim tools and be careful. It is easier with the grill off so you can work from behind too, but it’s bumper off to get the grill off.

Is there a specific trick to getting these bits of trim off? The badge has come off no bother with a bit of welly and a trim tool but I'm just not having any joy in removing the chrome trim strips.

I'm trying to find more detailed pictures of the clips themselves to see which way they are orientated - the right most clip on the top trim has burst so I don't want to just fire in with more muscle. Do I need to get in behind it with a trim tool then use something slimmer like a credit card to push the clip down?

This is the back of my Caravelle grille if that's any help.

IMG_20210512_174941.jpg

Yes, the top is on the right. I'm not sure why, but the picture got cropped and rotated.

Bear in mind that this is a Caravelle grill, so has gloss black strips as well, but the principle of how they fit is the same.

Yes, the top is on the right. I'm not sure why, but the picture got cropped and rotated.

Bear in mind that this is a Caravelle grill, so has gloss black strips as well, but the principle of how they fit is the same.

Nice one! Gives me a bit more info to tackle it this evening, thanks!

Is there a specific trick to getting these bits of trim off? The badge has come off no bother with a bit of welly and a trim tool but I'm just not having any joy in removing the chrome trim strips.

I'm trying to find more detailed pictures of the clips themselves to see which way they are orientated - the right most clip on the top trim has burst so I don't want to just fire in with more muscle. Do I need to get in behind it with a trim tool then use something slimmer like a credit card to push the clip down?
The photos that @dubber36 has shared is a great example of why it’s much easier with the grill off the van. For working with the grill on the van, the technique you’ve described is correct if you can get behind the strip at each clip location and lift the clip.

Got them off earlier this evening, cleaned and prepped for spraying tomorrow :thumbsup:

Once you know where each of the clips are and which ones either clipped on or clipped into, it's straight forward enough to work your way along from the outside in.

Got them off earlier this evening, cleaned and prepped for spraying tomorrow :thumbsup:

Once you know where each of the clips are and which ones either clipped on or clipped into, it's straight forward enough to work your way along from the outside in.
I was tempted to do this with the Caravelle but after braking some of the clips from the front badge with impatient force I decided that I would get a local company to wrap in situ. Nice cheap and quick job with lots of colour options. Cost £40. just thought I would mention this as an alternative and not suggesting it’s the only or right way

I was tempted to do this with the Caravelle but after braking some of the clips from the front badge with impatient force I decided that I would get a local company to wrap in situ. Nice cheap and quick job with lots of colour options. Cost £40. just thought I would mention this as an alternative and not suggesting it’s the only or right way
£40 is a fair price, has cost me nearly as much in liquid Vinyl. If that was the one thing i wanted to paint/wrap then it would definitely be an option for sure.

Back