Front-end styling confusion ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bav

Explore, discover, enjoy, repeat...
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I'm probably overthinking things (it has been known :rolleyes:), but, as per the title, I've got myself confused regarding front-end styling options.

Firstly, terminology - what's the difference between a spoiler, a splitter and a chin? Add "splitter spoilers" and "spoiler splitters" into the mix and my woolly grasp on the differences just becomes a confused muddle.

Secondly, construction materials - what are the pros & cons of fibreglass, PU and ABS? The prices imply fibreglass is the least desirable option, though I'm not clear why, or what the advantages are of the more expensive options.

Can anyone help clear my fog of confusion and provide sage insight?

TIA

Last edited:
I'm surprised there haven't been more replies to this so thought I'd kick things off with my limited knowledge.

From a engineering and aerodynamic point of view a spoiler and splitter serve different functions but on a lumpy T6 front end, it'll be more about aesthetics. You could probably define it as a spoiler sitting more above the bottom of the bumper changing the appearance, whereas the splitter sits on the underside of the bumper making it look lower. But no doubt you've seen products that straddle these definitions and someone will be along in a minute telling me to shut up and provide the correct answer. :slow rofl:

As for materials, I believe the fiberglass products are brittle and crack easily, whereas PU is more flexible and better at handling stone chips. As for ABS, I'll be honest and admit I haven't heard of it outside of braking systems. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: Bav
Firstly, terminology - what's the difference between a spoiler, a splitter and a chin? Add "splitter spoilers" and "spoiler splitters" into the mix and my woolly grasp on the differences just becomes a confused muddle.
I think it’s a marketing ploy to get people to buy one of each and then realise there isn't enough space on the van.
IMO it’s like putting a pig in a miniskirt, it’s a van and it isn’t going any faster.

@CAB

I think it’s a marketing ploy to get people to buy one of each and then realise there isn't enough space on the van.
IMO it’s like putting a pig in a miniskirt, it’s a van and it isn’t going any faster.
Not seeking or expecting a performance gain, just looking to personalise my van and improve its looks.

Thanks for your response @Mule. Perhaps the measure of a really dumb question is how few people can be bothered to answer it! :D

I guess terminology isn't that important, as long as I'm happy with the end result. The reason I asked was to avoid looking like a complete bell-end by asking for, say, a splitter to be fitted, only to be told "you can't fit a splitter to a bumper, you need to fit a splitter to a spoiler", or something similar.

Re materials, the [very] expensive ABT body-kits are made of ABS, so I assumed it has advantages over PU. Maybe this isn't so and ABT charge more just because they are ABT and they can? Having now done some superficial google research, it appears PU is a thermoplastic and ABS is a thermoset - though which of those is advantageous for a spoiler/splitter/chin/splitter spoiler/spoiler splitter is still no clearer to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess terminology isn't that important, as long as I'm happy with the end result. The reason I asked was to avoid looking like a complete bell-end by asking for, say, a splitter to be fitted, only to be told "you can't fit a splitter to a bumper, you need to fit a splitter to a spoiler", or something similar.

Have a look through the pages in the link, it will show you what fits to what, so all you need to do is decide what you like, then buy it.

@Bav

Some handy explanations here. However when it comes to our vans with the aerodynamics of a house brick, its makes naff all difference. but, big but, they look cool so as @dubber36 says forget the function and just pick the one you think looks the coolest!

@Bav
My working experience of using PU and ABS in the marine environment is that ABS is far stronger and doesn’t flex which maybe a big advantage if it’s painted as it won’t crack.
I’d forget GRP, the paint will eventually fail. Think Reliant Robin!

@Bav

Some handy explanations here. However when it comes to our vans with the aerodynamics of a house brick, its makes naff all difference. but, big but, they look cool so as @dubber36 says forget the function and just pick the one you think looks the coolest!
Useful link that, thanks. As you say, only doing it for the looks - it's the go-faster stripe I'm depending on for the performance boost. ;)

Most OEM plastic parts are ABS. It resists heat better and wont instantly shatter under stress. Fibreglass is cheap but it acts cheap too.

Thanks everyone for your input. :thumbsup:

Consensus is that ABS is best suited, fibreglass/GRP least suited and no-one gives a toss what it's called as long at gives you the look you're after. Simples!

ABS can also be moulded easily as demonstrated when I touched a traffic cone, dead centre...
In that case, I want a spoiler that's made from whatever that traffic cone was made off.

• Haha
Reactions: CAB
In that case, I want a spoiler that's made from whatever that traffic cone was made off.
Traffic cones are normally PVC, nothing like ABS.
The rest of the vans plastic body bits are mainly ABS.

Instantly thought of Miss Piggy ........

Back