From Motorhome To Camper.

Colinduncan

Downsizing- having had a Cathargo for 2 years (8.2 meters liner) I have recently got rid and decided to try a different approach I have gone for a VW transporter T6 as this offers car size advantages when travelling on minor roads and in villages and towns etc.WOW this is a massive change from the proverbial ‘motorhoming’ and am beginning to fear I may have gone a step too far Has anybody else dramatically downsized and if so any tips?! I love the convenience of the van (and the VW people I have so far met) but don’t know how to cope with the lack of storage space etc.

Downsizing- having had a Cathargo for 2 years (8.2 meters liner) I have recently got rid and decided to try a different approach I have gone for a VW transporter T6 as this offers car size advantages when travelling on minor roads and in villages and towns etc.WOW this is a massive change from the proverbial ‘motorhoming’ and am beginning to fear I may have gone a step too far Has anybody else dramatically downsized and if so any tips?! I love the convenience of the van (and the VW people I have so far met) but don’t know how to cope with the lack of storage space etc.
You have to minimise, ask yourself if you really need all this things you carry.. and if you need multiples of these.. why carry 6 plates n cups when there is only 2 of you.. etc.. get rid of the 'just in case' things..
Cut back then add as and when you def need things..

did you get a LWB by any chance?

:)

You have to minimise, ask yourself if you really need all this things you carry.. and if you need multiples of these.. why carry 6 plates n cups when there is only 2 of you.. etc.. get rid of the 'just in case' things..
Cut back then add as and when you def need things..
wise words them

I downsized from an 8.5mtr swift kon tiki 679 a few years ago and now I have a Caravelle. Absolutely love it :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies. I opted for a Swb as my theory is anything bigger than 5 meters is bigger than a car parking space so if you go bigger then your back into motorhome territory I have already enjoyed the convenience of using the vehicle whilst on site whereas with the motorhome you always had to plan your trips out. I believe I can travel quite light my worry is the misses will have to stop taking 6 pair of shoes and 8 changes of clothes for a weekend away

We’re just finishing a 96 day trip in our T6 in Europe and it’s all doable. Admittedly ours in a lwb but we carry an inflatable kayak, paddles, belly boards, masks and snorkels, bike helmets, wetsuits, Cadac bbq, two camping Gaz 907 cylinders, cold weather clothes (we started in April) and warm weather clothes, walking boots, trainers, flip flops, sandals, tool kit, bottle jack and standard jack, tow rope, beach mats, outside table and chairs, sun umbrella, two 5cm thick mattress toppers (both for the missus who’s a princess and the pea person), porta potti, hozelock pump shower, shower tent, ramps, windbreak, solar shower, electric bike charger, two folding buckets and then there’s all the usual, pots, plates, jug, cafetière, chopping board, glasses and so on. Only the bikes are outside in the rack. The rest all fits inside and is accessible from inside the van.

You do have to move stuff to get to stuff sometimes but I just look at it as a small price to pay to be able to enjoy amazing places.

You’ll get used to the smaller space and try and find stuff which might have multiple uses. We carry sarongs, handy to cover the seats, use on the beach to change under, lie on the sand, dry off on the beach, hang from the awning to give some shade and privacy etc.

Thanks for the replies. I opted for a Swb as my theory is anything bigger than 5 meters is bigger than a car parking space so if you go bigger then your back into motorhome territory I have already enjoyed the convenience of using the vehicle whilst on site whereas with the motorhome you always had to plan your trips out. I believe I can travel quite light my worry is the misses will have to stop taking 6 pair of shoes and 8 changes of clothes for a weekend away
Catching the ferry back to Blighty tomorrow after 7 weeks touring Spain & Portugal. 3 t shirts, 2 pairs of shorts, 1 pair of Tevas & 1 pair of walking shoes. Life venture microfibre towels x 2. All our clothes for me & Mrs SS fitted in a single carry on hold-all.

We’re just finishing a 96 day trip in our T6 in Europe and it’s all doable. Admittedly ours in a lwb but we carry an inflatable kayak, paddles, belly boards, masks and snorkels, bike helmets, wetsuits, Cadac bbq, two camping Gaz 907 cylinders, cold weather clothes (we started in April) and warm weather clothes, walking boots, trainers, flip flops, sandals, tool kit, bottle jack and standard jack, tow rope, beach mats, outside table and chairs, sun umbrella, two 5cm thick mattress toppers (both for the missus who’s a princess and the pea person), porta potti, hozelock pump shower, shower tent, ramps, windbreak, solar shower, electric bike charger, two folding buckets and then there’s all the usual, pots, plates, jug, cafetière, chopping board, glasses and so on. Only the bikes are outside in the rack. The rest all fits inside and is accessible from inside the van.

You do have to move stuff to get to stuff sometimes but I just look at it as a small price to pay to be able to enjoy amazing places.

You’ll get used to the smaller space and try and find stuff which might have multiple uses. We carry sarongs, handy to cover the seats, use on the beach to change under, lie on the sand, dry off on the beach, hang from the awning to give some shade and privacy etc.
Am impressed :thumbsup:

Wow - quite a trip! I expected a huge change and probably just having a bit of a ‘wobble’! I am hoping that this option will be more of an adventure - the Carthago was amazing but in reality I would have been as well travelling in the car for the freedom and staying in 5 stars hotels !

The main worry I suppose is wet weather and stuck in a confined space -when your abroad a lot of your living is done outside I expect and the van just for sleeping. I plan on doing a 4 week European trip shortly as a tester - this should be enough to convert me to a happy camper : ) or not! : )

We have had four hires in the UK over the last 18 years, ranging from a large motorhome through to a SWB T6 camper. The best in our view for narrow roads and lanes has to be the T6 as well as providing safe and speedy travel on motorways and enough space for our needs. Considering we brought what we needed in terms of clothing, shoes etc., from Australia we were able to reduce our luggage from two large suitcases with the first hire to two carryons for the T6. We went through the equipment provided by the hire company and left behind many plates, dishes, wine glasses etc., etc.

We are waiting for a LWB camper to be completed at the moment and are discussing what are the essentials compared to the extras. It’s just like the accumulation of stuff in a house. Unless it’s valuable and useful get rid of it. Save the kids the cleanup when the time comes.

Wow - quite a trip! I expected a huge change and probably just having a bit of a ‘wobble’! I am hoping that this option will be more of an adventure - the Carthago was amazing but in reality I would have been as well travelling in the car for the freedom and staying in 5 stars hotels !

The main worry I suppose is wet weather and stuck in a confined space -when your abroad a lot of your living is done outside I expect and the van just for sleeping. I plan on doing a 4 week European trip shortly as a tester - this should be enough to convert me to a happy camper : ) or not! : )
We downsized exactly the same as you and found the addition of a drive away awning made a huge difference especially if the weather was inclement.

I plan on doing a 4 week European trip shortly as a tester - this should be enough to convert me to a happy camper : )

I’m sure you will be converted. We spent the month of May in Spain, travelling all round the northern half in our SWB T6. We took too many clothes, but fortunately had reasonable weather.

The one thing I would guard against is relying on an awning. We do have a canopy but never use it. On the campsites we used in Spain seeing an awning was unusual, but many of the best experiences for us are the city Aires, where ‘camping behaviour’ isn’t allowed. So don’t rely on an awning or you will still be confined to campsites and even then may have some problems if the configuration is wrong.

But whatever you do, enjoy the freedom a SWB brings.

Back