[Resolved] Fridge not cooling Smod DSX-40 B2E

James_T6

Hi all,

I have a Smod fridge which is not cooling.

It has power because the internal fridge light is working however it doesn't cool... or make any fridge noises.

The on/off switch on the outside works in that it powers the fridge (fridge light) but it doesn't light up any more - I believe it should have a blue light when powered.

I've only tried it through the leisure battery. Will try hook up tomorrow to see if it makes a difference.

Any thoughts on how to fix? Or are they just a bit crap...?

20220608_185243.jpg

20220608_185145.jpg

20220608_185132.jpg

Can you measure the voltage the leisure battery is providing when it's turned on ?

Pete

Hi,

Battery with power off: 12.76v
With fridge on: 12.30v-12.50v
With fridge and lights on: 12.25v

James

Interesting that the battery voltage drops a little when the fridge is turned on. This suggests it is getting power and trying to do something.
Do you have a way of measuring how much current the fridge is drawing ? Did the fridge work OK before ?

Pete

Your fridge won’t make a noise as there is no compressor, it uses heat to cool it by absorption. Absorption fridges are quite power hungry and if you read the link below it suggests that it mainly cools on mains power and can then be maintained on 12 volt whilst travelling or for short periods of time. Did you try it connected up to the 240 volt as that will cool it a lot quicker than on 12 volt

I think you're going to have to take the fridge out to examine both the switch and look for voltage at the wiring connection at the back of the fridge.
The fact that there's no longer a blue light on the switch when you turn it on could be a few things.. no voltage at the switch, no earth at the switch for the led in it, the led may have blown, then looking for voltage at the fridge when the switch is on, earth for the fridge etc etc.

I think you're going to have to take the fridge out to examine both the switch and look for voltage at the wiring connection at the back of the fridge.
The fact that there's no longer a blue light on the switch when you turn it on could be a few things.. no voltage at the switch, no earth at the switch for the led in it, the led may have blown, then looking for voltage at the fridge when the switch is on, earth for the fridge etc etc.
Hi all,

I have a Smod fridge which is not cooling.

It has power because the internal fridge light is working however it doesn't cool... or make any fridge noises.

The on/off switch on the outside works in that it powers the fridge (fridge light) but it doesn't light up any more - I believe it should have a blue light when powered.

I've only tried it through the leisure battery. Will try hook up tomorrow to see if it makes a difference.

Any thoughts on how to fix? Or are they just a bit crap...?

View attachment 159859

View attachment 159860

View attachment 159862
I have the same problem on a less than 2 year oldon the same model. The lights are on but nothing more. I would like to lay my hands on a manual if possible. I am wondering I'm wondering, in my case if there is a thermal fuse and if so where is it located, the reason for this is we have been subjected to extreme heat and maybe this has some bearing on the matter. Just a thought!

I have the same problem on a less than 2 year oldon the same model. The lights are on but nothing more. I would like to lay my hands on a manual if possible. I am wondering I'm wondering, in my case if there is a thermal fuse and if so where is it located, the reason for this is we have been subjected to extreme heat and maybe this has some bearing on the matter. Just a thought!
I would like to add its the same situation regardless of mains supply or 12 volt supply

I would like to add its the same situation regardless of mains supply or 12 volt supply
Just to let you know, the problem was that the fridge had cut out because of the EXTREME WEATHER. As soon as I removed the fridge and placed it in a cooler environment to test, it worked. Bit of a nuisance really because this is why we use the fridges, so I am going to install external fans, hopefully to prevent this from happening again..

Back