France trip during C19

Having been back across France from Germany a couple of days ago, spending hours filling out the usual government million question online forms, having all proof of where we stayed on each and every date during our trip, I can confirm that going through border control no one gave a hoot. Not once asked where we'd been, not asked if we'd filled in any forms and certainly not asked to quarantine. Along side all that pointless crap was the fact we left the tunnel surrounded not by UK number plates, but French, Dutch and yep... Spanish. All happy off on their hols with packed cars and bulging roof boxes.
Another pointless PR exercise with no teeth or incentive for any of those travelling through or from the Red countries to care.

Like Chris Whitty said in the beginning, visitors from other countries are a drop in the ocean and have little impact on numbers, so all's good.

Well I have hung on as long as possible but have today decided to cancel our Eurotunnel tickets for departure on the 1st Sept.
I liaised with a couple of our regular sites and they think that France will go into some form of regional lockdown in Sept, they are only guessing but I appreciated their honesty. They added that they have decided to close the season early, probably 2nd week September.
we have done this trip for the last 10 years so it’s really upsetting, we can’t even look forward to going next year as we have a little dog and we fear Brexit will put an end to the pet passport scheme.
just tried to ring a couple of sites we like in Wales and Devon but guess what - all booked solid for September.
oh well we have a big garden to mow so it’s a staycation for us.

Last edited:
we have done this trip for the last 10 years so it’s really upsetting, we can’t even look forward to going next year as we have a little dog and we fear Brexit will put an end to the pet passport scheme.

We have discussed with our vet. The current view is that provided your dog passes the blood test (best done 30 days after the rabies injection) and then is examined by a vet 10 days prior to travel, going abroad post brexit should be ok. To be certain you need to plan about 4 months ahead as the tests have to be done by an approved european laboratory and cost circa £100.

In readiness for next year and to avoid the rush we have already had our dog tested. Thankfully she passed so her passport has been stamped up and she also has a certificate.

Nigel, As you know, we were due through the tunnel on the same day as you. When we heard about France being on the UK black list, I pulled the plug and asked for a refund (still waiting but they're probably very busy!). On Monday, I booked into North Morte Farm (near Woolacombe) for a week from Sunday, 6 September. They have changed their system this year and are on a reservation only basis whereas in the past it was always first come first served. We will see what it's like this year as out of school holiday time, it was never very crowded and now they're limiting numbers on the site, that might be even better. Like you, I'm a bit worried about the future for travel with animals on the continent - we haven't got a dog at the moment and was waiting to see how Brexit developed before doing it. I can't help thinking that we are going to crash out without any deal and things will probably go back to how they were in the dark days before pet passports etc.

We have discussed with our vet. The current view is that provided your dog passes the blood test (best done 30 days after the rabies injection) and then is examined by a vet 10 days prior to travel, going abroad post brexit should be ok. To be certain you need to plan about 4 months ahead as the tests have to be done by an approved european laboratory and cost circa £100.

In readiness for next year and to avoid the rush we have already had our dog tested. Thankfully she passed so her passport has been stamped up and she also has a certificate.
Does this mean that when he goes for his 3year rabies booster, which is due May next year, if we pay the extra for the blood test, and if that’s ok, we get a certificate which covers us for the next 3 years?

Does this mean that when he goes for his 3year rabies booster, which is due May next year, if we pay the extra for the blood test, and if that’s ok, we g

Our vet has advised that the certificate remains valid as long as the rabies booster is maintained so you don’t have to repeat the bloods every 3 years.

Our vet has advised that the certificate remains valid as long as the rabies booster is maintained so you don’t have to repeat the bloods every 3 years.
That’s not so bad then, I can cope with that.
the only additional thing then is the AHD form, valid for just 4 months but again more of a pain than a major problem
  • 10 days after the date of issue for entry into the EU
  • onward travel within the EU for 4 months after the date of issue
  • re-entry to Great Britain for 4 months after the date of issue

Nigel, As you know, we were due through the tunnel on the same day as you. When we heard about France being on the UK black list, I pulled the plug and asked for a refund (still waiting but they're probably very busy!). On Monday, I booked into North Morte Farm (near Woolacombe) for a week from Sunday, 6 September. They have changed their system this year and are on a reservation only basis whereas in the past it was always first come first served. We will see what it's like this year as out of school holiday time, it was never very crowded and now they're limiting numbers on the site, that might be even better. Like you, I'm a bit worried about the future for travel with animals on the continent - we haven't got a dog at the moment and was waiting to see how Brexit developed before doing it. I can't help thinking that we are going to crash out without any deal and things will probably go back to how they were in the dark days before pet passports etc.
We know the area well, spent many a break at Damage Barton just down the road.
pets and Brexit- my hope is that when they see the potential financial hit to the tourist industry then they will find a way to encourage us ‘silver surfers’ with money to spend.

Will do. I’ve also subscribed to the GOV.UK travel advice website for France, Italy and Greece. So I can get immediate email updates as soon as the border or quarantine requirements change.
I was looking forward to this first overseas trip in the van which was converted just a year ago. The planned spring trip to Greece was curtailed first by a broken arm and then 2 weeks later the lockdown. But I did manage to leave mid-August with the idea of a 6-8 week trip taking in the highlights of northern mainland Greece and the Peloponnese peninsular. My original plan to do the Italy – Greece ferry one-way and then the longer drive back through Albania, Croatia, Slovenia etc. (or vice-versa) was discarded as I thought the fewer borders the better. So, I went out via France, Italy then ferry across to Greece from Ancona.

The ferry across allowed “camping on board” which was great having the luxury of your own van to return to any time and kip in – plus you could connect up to power throughout. The ferry was pretty empty – at a guess I’d 20% full? That was nice as on the camping level as us “campers” literally had an open deck area to ourselves. Lots of the huge custom type campers the Germans seem to love. See photo with my silver van dwarfed in between - that is me parked up for the night!

The trip is quite long – around 16 hours – arriving in Igoumenitsa, western Greece at about 6am. I stayed at a nearby campsite for a couple of nights just to have a break from driving and enjoy the Med literally at my doorstep. Well 30 yards away.

This isn’t intended as a detailed guide to my itinerary but maybe some useful info for anyone else planning this trip. As it was I had to cut my stay in Greece to just a few weeks due to “stuff” happening at home. But I managed to drive down to the island of Lefkada, then ferry across to Kephalonia (about a week before the storms hit it). Then ferry to Patras, driving on to Delphi, then onwards to the Meteora and finally to Ioannina and the Pindos National Park, before getting back to the ferry at Igoumenitsa. I had to cut out the Peloponnese peninsular entirely as that would have needed at least a couple of weeks extra to do it justice and I just didn’t have that time.

Going when I did with so few people travelling far from home – especially the Dutch and Germans – meant I had a quiet ferry going out and virtually empty campsites where I could pick my spot. I avoid wild camping and Aires whenever possible as I like the luxury of an EHU and shower!

The roads were quiet and smooth despite what I have sometimes read. Lots of new roads being built in Greece so you can take the fast or scenic route as suits you. The campsites were good – all in great locations, at least the ones I stayed in. Photo attached shows my pitch in Delphi. Just stunning!

I used Campercontact mainly to find them. The scenery is amazing and just a wonderful country to visit.

I did find the ferry back to Italy was much busier – probably because many people were returning at the end of the summer. Coming from Greece I had 36 hours to leave Italy to avoid taking a C-19 test – no problem there as I drove straight to an Aire at Como next to the Swiss border. I also struggled a little on the way back to find a campsite in Germany that had a space – which just meant I didn’t get my first choice. They were full of Germans (surprise!) and Dutch. Obviously they were staying reasonably close to home. Then it was a push through France to Calais avoiding stopping as again that would have meant a 2-week self-isolation period.

Doing it again I would avoid the summer. It was hot – and I do love the heat – but most of our vans are not ideal in those conditions. Fortunately, with the sites being so quiet, at night I felt very safe leaving the back doors open and the sliding door and front windows partly open. I bought a new wraparound blind before I went but wisely decided my reflective silver internal ones made more sense. A very good decision. So, I would suggest a Spring or Autumn trip when it will be cooler and presumably quieter than a “normal” summer.

I did just under 3K miles in all but it was all very comfortable driving. Ideally, I would have liked to do the Peloponnese peninsular and would certainly allow a couple of weeks for that – but that will have to be a future trip. I love Greece. Please don’t hesitate, go there when you get the chance.

John, Thanks for the great write up but is there any chance that you could give an indication of costs of ferries and campsites? Also how did you book the former? PM me if you would prefer but I think other people on here might be interested. I ask as Greece was one of our options for earlier this year until Covid intervened and if we manage to get anywhere even close to normality by next April, it will be back on the agenda (a 6 -8 week trip as, if things go to plan, my wife will be finishing work then and it would be a celebratory trip). Thanks in advance for any further info.

John, Thanks for the great write up but is there any chance that you could give an indication of costs of ferries and campsites? Also how did you book the former? PM me if you would prefer but I think other people on here might be interested. I ask as Greece was one of our options for earlier this year until Covid intervened and if we manage to get anywhere even close to normality by next April, it will be back on the agenda (a 6 -8 week trip as, if things go to plan, my wife will be finishing work then and it would be a celebratory trip). Thanks in advance for any further info.
Hi Ayjay

The ferry from Ancona to Igoumenitsa cost me €146 for the camper and €62 for using the camping deck, which by the way has a very passable toilet/shower facility. As that was mid-August you may find it is cheaper out of high season. Not bad considering it is a 16 hour trip – compared to what we have to pay just to cross the channel. I booked on line with www.greece-ferries.com and they were very good keeping in touch with me (not vice-versa) about potential schedule changes due to C-19 restrictions and suggested delaying my payment until they were confident the ferry would be running. The ferry company itself was ANEK Superfast who were better rated online then the alternative Minoan Lines who seemed to have some bad reviews.

Returning I booked on line again just a couple of days ahead, I think direct with ANEK – I’m not sure – but it was a similar amount.

The ferry from Lefkada to Kephalonia was £44 (2-3 hours) and the Levante ferry from Kephalonia to Patros was £58 (4-5 hours). So pretty reasonable I thought.

Campsites were generally around the €21 mark in Greece. Pitches were much more variable than the regimented lines we get here but as I said before, being quiet when I went I managed to get some great spots e.g. Delphi. I only booked ahead the initial site a few miles from Igoumenitsa and to be honest I was never sure if they actually even made a note of it. They certainly didn’t ask when I turned up. All the others were “It’s fine. Just turn up. Plenty of room.” As some of the campsites I used weren’t very large I would probably recommend talking to them about how busy they might be on the rough dates you plan to arrive and then take a view if you want to book ahead – or just book but give them plenty of notice if you don’t think you will make it.

I’m happy to provide the campsites I used if you are interested in the same places. Good luck with your planning.

John, Thanks for that - very interesting and for that money (or even less), the ferry is a very good idea for one way at least. Yes please on camp site details as it's always good to have recommendations. I think that applies to Greece in particular - it's been quite a few years since I was tent camping there (on a slowish drive to the Middle East) but we pitched at a couple of fantastic sites in terms of both facilities and location but also a couple of the worst campsites that I've ever used in my life (our own fault as we kept driving for to long and then had to find something at the last minute). Again, thanks.

John, Thanks for that - very interesting and for that money (or even less), the ferry is a very good idea for one way at least. Yes please on camp site details as it's always good to have recommendations. I think that applies to Greece in particular - it's been quite a few years since I was tent camping there (on a slowish drive to the Middle East) but we pitched at a couple of fantastic sites in terms of both facilities and location but also a couple of the worst campsites that I've ever used in my life (our own fault as we kept driving for to long and then had to find something at the last minute). Again, thanks.

Ayjay, not sure if this is getting into the realm of PM’ing rather than public thread but on the basis others may be interested here are the campsites I stayed at in Greece and my comments:

Camping Kalami – 15 mins south of Igoumenitsa. On the beach. Nice family run place. Quite small with a mix of pitches – probably the busiest I stayed at. But it was ideal to chill for a couple of nights after the drive down through France and Italy and to plan my next stage.

Camping Vassiliki Beach, Lefkada – Vassiliki is a bit of a touristy place but campsite was fine, again nice family running it and 200 yards from the beach. The ferry to Kephalonia was from Nydri just back up the eastern coast about 30 mins away.

Camping Karavomilos Beach, Sami on Kephalonia. Nice campsite, good facilities, great staff, very large but maybe 10% full when I was there. Great swimming pool and also on the beach and 15 minutes walk into Sami where there are loads of restaurants and you can get the ferry over to Patras on the mainland. I love Kephalonia and have had many holidays there so allow time to explore the island if you haven’t been there – see photos!
20200830_114741.jpg 20200830_124917.jpg
Sadly badly hit recently by the “Medicane”.

Delphi Camping, Delphi – stunning position, 30 minutes walk uphill(!) to the small town and fascinating excavations and museum. Smallish campsite, great staff, owner provides free tastings of their own olives, olive oil and tapenade. Nice restaurant on site with incredible views. Must go!
IMG-20200903-WA0001.jpg

Campsite Vrachos Kastraki – campsite near the Meteora monasteries. In the village/town so choice of restaurants. The campsite is OK, not great, Quite run down feeling but adequate. Convenient is the best I could probably say – but the facilities were plentiful and clean and great views of the Meteora. (Photos are not from the campsite but nearby.)
20200906_182346.jpg 20200906_121007.jpg

Camping LIMNOPOULA, Ioannina – municipal campsite next to the rowing club and on the side of the lake. Basic facilities at the rowing club. Used as a base to visit the Pindos National Park. 20-30 minutes walk into town.

You have to also consider that, unless you are wild camping, then campsites even in the popular areas are limited. So as you have found out, the quality can be variable. But I would say that all the ones I stayed at above I would happily return to.

Yet again, thanks - there's some good stuff there which should be useful to the community in general. Happy camping.

As a retired couple who set out every year on an adventure but have never had the confidence to get much further than Bordeaux then I am finding this thread fascinating.
You never know we might, after reading this, be brave enough to cross another border next year but doubt we have the courage to get even close to Greece.

Nigel - My advice is just do it. As John demonstrates, using the ferry to get from Italy to Greece makes the drive a hell of a lot shorter and far less daunting. Saying that, having done that whole road trip, I would recommend it for one way at least as you get the chance to visit some truly fantastic places on the way. I last did it 10 years ago when I drove from home to Dubai and it was an adventure that will stay with me for a long time to come. Let's just hope the whole Covid situation (and Brexit negotiations) improves to the extent that we can start thinking about such things again because, TBH, if they don't and we find ourselves more or less restricted to the UK for the foreseeable future, I for one will bet selling the campervan and going back to a tent.

As a retired couple who set out every year on an adventure but have never had the confidence to get much further than Bordeaux then I am finding this thread fascinating.
You never know we might, after reading this, be brave enough to cross another border next year but doubt we have the courage to get even close to Greece.
Nigel, if you have the time to spend doing the Greece trip then I would suggest just taking your time going down through France and Italy, stop off at plenty of places - you are hardly going to be short of memorable places to visit en route. Don't think of it as one long journey, just break it up into manageable bits you feel comfortable with. I did not do the journey out in one go. I stopped in a nice campsite near Clermont Ferrand and had a couple of days hill walking; then I had a few days with relatives near Turin. But obviously you can make a lot more stops as you want. Sometimes I used autoroutes and other times deliberately took more scenic and quiet local roads depending on sites I might want to visit and "deadlines" I had set myself eg the ferry booking from Ancona. That was the only ferry I had booked in advance of leaving - except of course the Newhaven-Dieppe one. For me this Greece trip has always been a bucket list item and despite having to unfortunately shorten it this time I loved every moment of it.

Back