France trip during C19

We are hanging on but the rumour is that France will reciprocate in the next few days and make Brits who travel over isolate for 14days in France.
if this turns out to happen then we will also have to cancel.
This was the case when I traveled. But, it was advisory only, not compulsory. In fact it was never even mentioned when we arrived.
Im not saying it will be this again, its just worth checking what is actually required.

Out of interest, who knows if you self isolate upon return?

We are booked to go to Majorca next month, but feel it would be stupid to go given the uncertainties, so are going to Cornwall instead.
You have to fill a form in, with your address etc.
Then, they say you may get a visit.
I personally, have not heard of anyone receiving such a visit.

That’s exactly what I’ve been thinking, how are they going to police it. Surely they’re just relying on people’s good will.
It would be interesting to know exactly how many people isolate for 14 days, I bet a lot of people will just finish their holiday, come back and just carry on as normal.

That’s exactly what I’ve been thinking, how are they going to police it. Surely they’re just relying on people’s good will.
It would be interesting to know exactly how many people isolate for 14 days, I bet a lot of people will just finish their holiday, come back and just carry on as normal.
Most people that I know anyway.

We are booked to go to Majorca next month, but feel it would be stupid to go given the uncertainties, so are going to Cornwall instead.
Where about? I have been struggling all day find anywhere in Cornwall for the week of the 24th August

Are you suggesting there are a lot of selfish people about that don't care that they could give the virus to their family, friends and colleagues? If we all behaved like this then you can write off next year as well..... if we get that far.... :mad:

Luckily we’ve had our trip cancelled so it takes the what if !!!! Out of the equation Lol. now just need to book somewhere

Although I'm not currently in France, we were in Italy all last week and now in Austria (Innsbruck) in my Motorhome.
Anyone bleating on about how unfair it is on the BBC that the government have done this at such short notice, get real. We knew this was coming before we left the UK a week ago, but accepted the risk and will deal with the consequences correctly. The fact that the government has had to officially announce that 'compensation' claims will be rejected instantly just shows the state of the world today. As adults we are meant to be wise enough to assess risks and make sensible decisions throughout our lives. My wife and I saw how oversubscribed most places in the UK were and felt that coming into Europe was a far better option in our circumstances.

I've moved 2 weeks worth of work back a few weeks upon my return and my wife will be working from home.
Yeah its a pain, but worth it for the holiday, especially as my wife has worked solid throughout all of this for the NHS and deserved a break away from the UK.

What I can`t get my head around, is why the isolation period can`t be reduced with testing. Even if there was an option to pay for the test.
One when you return, then one 7 days later.
If both were clear then only a 7 day isolation would be required.

What I can`t get my head around, is why the isolation period can`t be reduced with testing. Even if there was an option to pay for the test.
One when you return, then one 7 days later.
If both were clear then only a 7 day isolation would be required.

The rest of Europe opt for test as soon as you return home, track and trace.
We seem to have stopped relying on the tried and proven methods, instead just quarantine the crap out of anyone that is a risk. As Boris said in the beginning "I'm reluctant to introduce draconian measures" then does exactly that.

The rest of Europe opt for test as soon as you return home, track and trace.
We seem to have stopped relying on the tried and proven methods, instead just quarantine the crap out of anyone that is a risk. As Boris said in the beginning "I'm reluctant to introduce draconian measures" then does exactly that.
And then wonders why some people don`t comply......
'A world beating track and trace system', oh wait we cant actually make one that works.....

Are you suggesting there are a lot of selfish people about that don't care that they could give the virus to their family, friends and colleagues? If we all behaved like this then you can write off next year as well..... if we get that far.... :mad:

probably a lot of people that still remember Cummings and Stanley Johnson doing what they like...
why would people act responsibly if those in charge aren't.

What baffles me is the surprised reaction when cases go up after any relaxation of restrictions. "Whoa, we didn't expect that, quick bring in another lockdown!"

You can either keep the infection rate heading downwards, or you can relax restrictions, not both.

How's this for a bonus. I don't have to quarantine.
Why? Because within the terms of quarantine on the government website it states that if you've been outside of France before the quarantine measures were started, and you can drive straight through France to the tunnel without stopping where you will come into contact with other people, you are exempt from the quarantine measures.

I'm in Germany not far from the French border sat enjoying my last couple of days here, with a full tank of fuel and a bottle of beer, ready for the 7hr spurt from my location to the Eurotunnel on Thursday. Result.

Using this logic, anyone can come into Europe and back again, providing they don't get out of their private vehicle whist in any country on our Red list.
To me this is about the most sensible measure taken by the .gov website since this all began.
We weren't in France when it went onto the naughty list, and cancelled our French holiday when it did thank goodness.

Now I just need to work out what to do with my empty diary for the next 2 weeks.

To date only 10 fines have been handed out in the UK for quarantine violation.

1 in Lincolnshire, (from memory), and the other 9 by the Boarder Force given to people passing through UK boarders who failed/refused to fill out their isolation location forms.

You travel to Oldham where there is over 100 new cases per 100,000 people, and go home/work/supermarket the next day, but if you return from a region of France, (by car, not coming into contact with anyone), where the new cases is 8 per 100,000 people, you must stay in house arrest for 14 days.

Public Health England hasn't got enough people to do the work it normally has to do, let alone police hundreds of thousands of returning travellers quarantine compliance.

They are relying on the publics good will and compliance.

Reactions: CAB
I don't understand why they don't close all the pubs and restaurants in these local lockdown areas along the M62 corridor and wherever else it's happening. Without doing that then nothing is really being done. I've given up on my September euro trip, my vague plan before Covid was going to be sailing via Holland, through Germany, Belgium and Slovakia to Croatia, before coming back through Slovenia and Austria ending up in France - pretty much every country on the hit list.
I'd still be at more risk calling into the Asda in Blackburn on my way up to Scotland, which is now where I'm going.

The blacklisting of France makes no sense at all to me, you're relying on people actually telling you where they were, the choice should be close the ferries/tunnel or don't. Europe is (apart from a couple of new temporary pop up borders) one big country and should be treated as such.

Back