France opens tomorrow

It really isn’t worth the gamble, book it as a campervan. They can get really upset if they catch a campervan pretending to be a car, it isn’t so much the description but the onboard gas bottles they get upset about. If they are in doubt you get directed to a special lane on the left after control where you get inspected.
We have a few times been sent in this lane even though booked as a camper - they just want to check the gas bottles are turned off.
The only gas I have is in a tank under the van for a bbq point... thanks for the advice.

Les Gets/Morzine is on what we call the Thonon GP. We base in La Chiniallon nr Le Grand Bernand. Matey has a chalet there. The ride thru there and onto Thonon Les bains is one of our favourite scratching routes.

We also have had to abandon our annual MTB trip to LesGets/Morrzine.
Gutted as its great fun dashing across France in the van and then smashing mountain tracks all day using an uplift.
We are booked for a months camping in France for all of August.
We are just waiting to see what the sites measures are before we commit to the final payment.
Our annual MTB trip to Morzine is booked for 3rd week of July. We've not cancelled/deferred yet - have everything hanging on the rumour that there will be a UK/France air-bridge from June 29th (at the first 3 week review after the 14 day quarantine rule came in). Not too optimistic tbh, especially now that the UK has taken CV-19 back to NZ...

Just check the Eurotunnel t&C's as they don't allow LPG powered vehicles but will allow fitted LPG tanks for domestic use but have limits on tank sizes and how full they are! Check their website for exact details about Gas. Unsure which fuel-type your vehicle uses? – Eurotunnel Le Shuttle
Thanks @$immo - having taken a look -basically you need to be at 80% capacity to allow for expansion - they will check the dials in the van... see below for additional info...

1592389660684.png

1592390927043.png

Well we’re booked for a months tour of Europe on August the 6th, never cancelled our tickets Just sat it out and hoped for the best. Phoned the lady in Switzerland about her campsite and she said everything will be open middle of June to the beginning of July
As for the France situation, I work there on a 2 week rotation and lately have had to fly to Frankfurt and drive down, I came home on the 10th and fortunately read I had to fill in this 3 page document before arriving in the UK . Some poor souls never got this information and were stuck in Heathrow filling in forms.
So now I’m in isolation for 13 days before I head back again, not allowed out for exercise either said the boarder control guy who dealt with me :(

Our annual MTB trip to Morzine is booked for 3rd week of July. We've not cancelled/deferred yet - have everything hanging on the rumour that there will be a UK/France air-bridge from June 29th (at the first 3 week review after the 14 day quarantine rule came in). Not too optimistic tbh, especially now that the UK has taken CV-19 back to NZ...
I personally think the quarantine will be lifted on the 29th. Along with the 2m rule also.
I've had to put my plans back a little, so won`t be able to leave until Monday 29th now anyway.

I tried yesterday to book a Eurotunnel departure mid-August and could not get a slot, even after trying different days and times. In the end I gave up and booked the Newhaven ferry which is only 30 mins away from me anyway and makes little difference to how I get to my final destination. Just flagging this up as a warning to anybody planning last minute bookings. I decided I was just going to take a chance on restrictions being lifted by then. A few hours on a ferry is always a nice start to a holiday anyway.

Just looked on Eurotunnel and there seems to be availability... looking mid-August to 01 September...

Just looked on Eurotunnel and there seems to be availability... looking mid-August to 01 September...
You're right czmate 1999. I just looked again. Don't know why I had a problem yesterday. Apologies if I worried people. Still, looking forward to the ferry now and a leisurely full English on board!

I personally think the quarantine will be lifted on the 29th. Along with the 2m rule also.
I've had to put my plans back a little, so won`t be able to leave until Monday 29th now anyway.
We’re due to drive down to Morzine (via Eurotunnel) for some DH for first week of August. We’re also hoping for the quarantine to be lifted.

Neil - Get yourself a Halifax Clarity card for the future - we always tend to keep a couple of hundred euros in the safe for starter money on trips but, other than that, rely on the Clarity card to just hit an ATM for cash in whatever country we're in.

Back