Ford Mustang 2018

chriscroft

15 years of VW T 'ing
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I'm not that bothered about cars, but I really feel that at some point in my life I ought to own one of these, and go on a few old time Grand Tours across Europe, among other things. Very soon a V8 will be a thing of the past so maybe it is now-ish or never.
2018-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT350.jpg

I do like them but couldn't own one; too big, too brash.
But I do need to scratch the V8 itch one day...
It would only be used on Sundays and special road trips, I don't doubt a European V8 would pi22 all over it, but I can't think of anything more intoxicating than one of these with its 4pipe exhaust note valve being tweaked twice every minute:):):):)

It would only be used on Sundays and special road trips, I don't doubt a European V8 would pi22 all over it, but I can't think of anything more intoxicating than one of these with its 4pipe exhaust note valve being tweaked twice every minute:):):):)
Yep the Yank V8s are hard to beat for sound; I particularly love the off beat idle of a classic small block Hemi but they just don't do corners.
Cracking VFM though but I just know my fast revving, turbo boosted, straight six shopping hatch would show them a clean pair of tailpipes on most Euro roads; took ours to the Black Mountains and it was an absolute hoot.

But I'd love to try a Mustang. Current V8 list driven to date is too small; tested a BMW 750i for the Independent and the outlaws had an F355 I drove. That's it!!

Yep the Yank V8s are hard to beat for sound; I particularly love the off beat idle of a classic small block Hemi but they just don't do corners.
Cracking VFM though but I just know my fast revving, turbo boosted, straight six shopping hatch would show them a clean pair of tailpipes on most Euro roads; took ours to the Black Mountains and it was an absolute hoot.

But I'd love to try a Mustang. Current V8 list driven to date is too small; tested a BMW 750i for the Independent and the outlaws had an F355 I drove. That's it!!
This 2018 Mustang claims to have active suspension which would help, but a Golf GTI would probably leave it for dead on country roads. I have driven a LR 110 V8, I think it had 150bhp and 180lbft, looks pretty pants against our 204 2.0l oil burners:), oh and we had a V12 Jag XJ6 classic for a while; but that's it for me.

This 2018 Mustang claims to have active suspension which would help, but a Golf GTI would probably leave it for dead on country roads. I have driven a LR 110 V8, I think it had 150bhp and 180lbft, looks pretty pants against our 204 2.0l oil burners:), oh and we had a V12 Jag XJ6 classic for a while; but that's it for me.
Dad had a V12 Jag for a bit too; comedy mpg!
He also had a 928, a 308 GT4 (Fezza) and the most amusing, a Ford Cortina P100 pickup with a near 400bhp V8. Oh and a Stag V8; looked great, broke down every week.

Dad had a V12 Jag for a bit too; comedy mpg!
He also had a 928, a 308 GT4 (Fezza) and the most amusing, a Ford Cortina P100 pickup with a near 400bhp V8. Oh and a Stag V8; looked great, broke down every week.
P100 V8 WOW, did he do the conversion?

Driven V8 Q7's and A8's when I used to moonlight for the Audi Chauffer Service, but they were not really in your face fun. However the A8 6.0 W12 Quattro that I got to play with one particular evening for some red carpet event or other in Leicester Square, was hilarious. 80 litre tank and I managed to just get 200 miles out of it.

Had a drive of several v8 mustang's in Florida down the years.....love 'em! Wife said get one.......that was when it was $2 to the pound........but a daughter wanting to study medicine brought me back down to earth! Now it's just me and mrs md, it was a straight choice.......the five point ohhhhhhh or a T6. The T6 suits me right now but the mustang is only on the back burner! Ironically, both kids are now in Oz and my son WILL have a v8 before his old dad!!!

Not my cup of tea but the parents brought this last March as a little treat, 5.0 of V8 yank tank. It makes a nice noise and the seats are comfy but the build quality is shocking!

My daughter & the Mrs love it though

0388560B-342C-43A6-9CA9-2A69E0B950AE.jpg

that's identical to the last one I drove in Florida! love it......great colour choice! surprised to hear you say the build quality is poor.....I thought they'd really worked on that? what's the road tax on that.....£500+?

that's identical to the last one I drove in Florida! love it......great colour choice! surprised to hear you say the build quality is poor.....I thought they'd really worked on that? what's the road tax on that.....£500+?

The panel fit is shocking credit card in the bonnet wing join on the drivers side and a finger in the other side! I would have sent it straight back to the dealer but the old man isn't one to kick up. It's locked up in his garage and uses it on ocasional weekends don't think he's done 1000k yet.

Yep got the tax reminder through for it today! Along with Ford advising that we only got one years breakdown cover and need to pay £150 if we want further cover!

It got slated in the last series of Top Gear. Pretty cheap to buy but flawed and its residual value will drop like a stone. Completely agree that something like a Golf GTi would be quicker and much more fun.

The best sounding cars I ever had were a TVR Chimera 4.5 which is the same basic V8 engine as in the old Mustang, and a Porsche 911 993, the last of the aircooled flat 6's. Even my old Range Rover V8 sounded good, but did less than 10mpg pressing on

It got slated in the last series of Top Gear. Pretty cheap to buy but flawed and its residual value will drop like a stone. Completely agree that something like a Golf GTi would be quicker and much more fun.

The best sounding cars I ever had were a TVR Chimera 4.5 which is the same basic V8 engine as in the old Mustang, and a Porsche 911 993, the last of the aircooled flat 6's. Even my old Range Rover V8 sounded good, but did less than 10mpg pressing on

Always preferred the TVR six but they were made of chocolate.
Mine sounds pretty good but the turbo does strangle it a bit - the exhaust makes some great sounds though. My Golf R32 made a good noise but wasn't actually very powerful for a 3.2 litre V6. Bomproof though.

Always preferred the TVR six but they were made of chocolate.
Mine sounds pretty good but the turbo does strangle it a bit - the exhaust makes some great sounds though. My Golf R32 made a good noise but wasn't actually very powerful for a 3.2 litre V6. Bomproof though.
Yeah, the TVR straight 6 with the flat plane crank was a great engine. I had an R32 as well which I loved - not mega quick but just a great all rounder.

Back