Folding Mirror retrofit?

SAF1981

Diver
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hello, new to the T6 forum.

I have a T6 Camper and looking to replace the wing mirrors with electric folding ones.
Has anyone done the same, any recommendations and how easy is it to integrate with the central locking?

Thanks

If you want as cheap and easy as possible then as above. If you want genuine then it's more involved and definitely more expensive.

I’m glad someone has brought up the mirrors!! I have the factory power folding mirrors & after looking on here I thought a vcdu mod would make them fold up on locking! So when I went to Midland VW to get some Bilstein Coilovers slapped on the beast, I asked them to do said mod, together with auto locking.
To my despair they said it couldn’t be done as it didn’t have the right whodomaflip!,,,
Anyone have a clue?

It depends what year the van is
MY16 can be coded to do it
MY17 cannot be coded, needs a module fitting
MY18 onwards, do it as standard

That’s the word I was looking for, they said about a module. But mines a 2016, was delivered may 16 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The travellinlite kit uses genuine mirrors and switches :)

Ah ok, they were using copies for the T5.1 power fold mirrors, not sure why they don't for the T6 tbh, the units have the same VAG part number anyway.

I probably should have added in my original post that I've done mine totally OEM, all of the wiring is correct as per factory (the parts list on here is missing repair wires to the mirror connectors). :)

The T5 mirror actually fits higher in its mount than the T6, but that may be the mounting plate :thumbsup:

So are we saying i need to by a new module? Where does that go? I mean they all ready manually fold, heat & adjust? :thumbsdown::confused:

So are we saying i need to by a new module? Where does that go? I mean they all ready manually fold, heat & adjust? :thumbsdown::confused:

The module that needs to be changed is actually the window motor unit - it has the brains that controls the convenience features including folding the mirrors. If you have folding mirrors already, and have two "Q" modules, then to get fold on the key, you need to swap your driver side motor for an "R" version. There's a fair chance with a 2016 you have "L" modules so just need coding.

The look like this:

s-l640.jpg

Wow. How do you know all this shizzle? So where do I find all the coding to pass on to a genius with a laptop?

Wow. How do you know all this shizzle? So where do I find all the coding to pass on to a genius with a laptop?

Been there, done it :)

There's another thread on here somewhere with the coding changes, should (depending on your window motors) be a simple change for you with VCDS.

Hi all. We're away in Cornwall and a motor home going opposite direction decided it didn't like my drivers mirror so snapped it off on the bracket. I have gaffe tapped it back on for now. I have read through the posts about replacing the bracket but I wondered whether to uprgrade to the electric folding mirrors. I can't believe these vans don't come with this as standard but never mind. I'm getting confused about the electric folding mirrors. Do i need to order the mirrors and would this come complete with the bracket that has snapped. I presume it would so there's no point in trying to replace if I decide to go that route. Any pointers on what I need and where to source from.

Mark

I have a pair of 2018 mirrors sitting here, removed to upgrade to electric folding, no top caps or glass as they were re used.All wiring intact and no damage.

I would do it if you can but you would probably also have to upgrade your door controls to include the switch for folding them in

I would do it if you can but you would probably also have to upgrade your door controls to include the switch for folding them in
Do you have a photo of where the switch goes. If i have to spend a bit more by upgrading I don't mind as I can't remember the last car that hasn't had it and it really annoys me when I jump in the van to drive off and realise I've left the passenger wing mirror folded in. Who knows what I need to buy extra? Do I have to change the mirrors? Mark

Back