Flooring options

Jbgittens

Hi All,

new to the group! Currently looking at options for the flooring.
I have sound proofed the floor and purchased the deeper side steps but I’m unsure on what thickness batons and ply flooring I should use?
also looking at floor finishes ideally need something waterproof and dark grey/black, can any recommend anything?
thanks in advance!

There's lots of flooring options available... I went with Karndean... plenty of choice of colours and finishes...

Easy to clean and exceptionally hard wearing... quality product.

Not sure on that one as i let the professionals do it when it was converted...!

Sure someone who laid the floor themselves may be able to advise....

A lot of convertors seam to use Altro flooring, might be worth checking out?

Cheers, what size batons and ply did you use underneath? Thanks

We used batons of the same depth as the corrugations in the floor, so the batons have effect of levelling things out.

Can’t remember the ply floor thickness, but just go with the most popular option on EBay. Will see if I can find out though.

Pete

I used existing 9mm as batons, sound proofed then 1.5mx7.5m thermawrap (even after cutting a large piece out had plenty left so cut into strip pieces and stuck down in grooves with 3m double sided tape filled the gap slightly and offers insulation just takes time..bought 1 piece 12mm from local conversation company

These are the batons I used, pre cut so are a massive time saver, rather than measuring & cutting each one
Then a one piece ply floor over the top

20210129_001828.jpg

Last edited:
I used the old 9mm floor to cut into batons then stuck in the gaps. I didn’t do them massive so they fill the whole gap like the pre made ones. I don’t know why you’d do that when it’s only to give something to fix into-I’d rather have that void filled with thermal insulation.
Then I covered the whole floor in dodo therma liner then put strips in all the low spots to give more thermal barrier.
I then bucked the trend by using 9mm ply instead of 12. I’ve got a low pop top and every mm counts. Plus, again, if your batons are the same level as all the metal ridges then where is this board going to flex?
I made the floor myself using 3 pieces of ply and the original floor as a template (plus some card to sort out the corners etc better fit than the original) and then screwed it down.
My conversion is a u-shaped arrangement so I did my cuts so that the walking area is the one large piece and one cut is under the offside units and the other cut is under the rear seat so joins will never be walked on.
Then I layed Altro flooring. I used Altro Xpresslay as you don’t need to glue the whole lot down with contact adhesive-you just use special double sided tape. A quick strip round the edge and a couple across the middle and it was done in no time with no mess. There’s been no movement and there’s no bounce when you walk on it-it feels like it’s bonded down.11BDA4A4-D8F0-4881-A4F0-E89A1BCB7A41.jpegAFA23DB8-D5EB-419B-A7BA-574C96E5AEA4.jpeg
I’ve deleted most of the pics from my phone.

Reactions: CAB
Just started my project in Newtownards, unsure of what flooring option to take. Carpet not practical so it's laminate or heavy duty rubber/ vinyl. What's your thoughts?

Back