Flat Main Battery Sanity Check

volts

Another Battery Thread Yay...

After reading many threads include @Dellmassive Battery Chargers How I did it.

Since the battery is dead (just enough to sound the alarm) I plan on getting this NOCO 10 amp charger to fully charge and then maintain this charge by plugging it in every few days. Using the earth strap by the battery for the negative earth point

Seems pointless getting the van jump started to only end up in this situation shortly after as i'm going nowhere sufficient to charge while driving

Ideas or alternatives welcome

What about fitting one of the quick disconnects?

That way you are guaranteed of getting a good connection.

I used the panel bolt on the RHS of the battery behind the light.

IMG_20200423_115641~2.jpg

Remove bolt,
Scratch off paint etc,
Fit m8 eyelet,
Replace bolt,
Check connection resistance with meter,
Test charger at full amps.

@Dellmassive Thanks for the Reply. I plan to use the croc clips for the time being as haven't got the tools to hand to remove the bolt scrape the paint, and test it (i.e a proper job)

@Dieseldonkey This charger doesn't have this option. Is it a solution for a completely dead battery

What about fitting one of the quick disconnects?

That way you are guaranteed of getting a good connection.

I used the panel bolt on the RHS of the battery behind the light.

I did exactly that. I purchased the Victron eye connection (M6 works) and a 2m extension cable. I simply disconnect my leisure battery charger, connect the extension and plug in my starter battery. Works a treat.

10 amps. Can you not just plug the charger into the cigarette lighter.
Yes as a absolute MAX......

At 10A the plug and socket will get HOT after a while.....

So great for lower amps.... say 6A.

Yes as a absolute MAX......

At 10A the plug and socket will get HOT after a while.....

So great for lower amps.... say 6A.

Thanks @Dellmassive . Just taken delivery of a Victron adapter to connect into the 12v cig socket. Makes it easy to switch between using the charger between leisure battery and vehicle battery. As soon as I plugged it in, the vehicle battery drew 5.6amps but started falling rapidly to a float charge at 3.5amps within 10 minutes. Will keep a monitor on the temperature though.:thumbsup:

Unfortunately these aren't deep-discharge batteries - once they've been left to completely discharge they will never be the same again.
They lose capacity and the ESR goes up - when you charge you may find your charger thinks the battery is 'full' after only 15 or 20 Ah.
Much better to keep it trickled or on float than letting it go completely flat then giving it a 10 amp charge ;)
A solar panel on the dash has to be the easiest - plug into the fag lighter and forget about it. If your van isnt being used then you only need
cover parasitic drain - two or three hundred mA should be plenty :D

I'm sorted, the Noco had the battery charged after about 12 hours, Great piece of kit. Van started and the only thing i had to change the time, and looking at the MFD i have a ACC Error (don't have Active Cruise Control) but no matter.

those that have a towbar can charge battery through the electrics, i charge the t6 and my skoda superb this way.

those that have a towbar can charge battery through the electrics, i charge the t6 and my skoda superb this way.
Hey Rover, you mean you can charge your starter battery via the towbar socket at the back?? (I've got a towbar socket!) Had a flat battery the other day and had to jump off my wife's car, good to know in future if there's a way to rig something up to the towbar inlet.

Unfortunately these aren't deep-discharge batteries - once they've been left to completely discharge they will never be the same again.
They lose capacity and the ESR goes up - when you charge you may find your charger thinks the battery is 'full' after only 15 or 20 Ah.
Much better to keep it trickled or on float than letting it go completely flat then giving it a 10 amp charge ;)
A solar panel on the dash has to be the easiest - plug into the fag lighter and forget about it. If your van isnt being used then you only need
Are there any dashboard solar panels you’d recommend for keeping the battery’s topped up?
Our van is yet to be converted so haven’t any battery gadgets yet but the van is siting still for the first time since we purchased it and we are concerned the battery may start to drain .

Are there any dashboard solar panels you’d recommend for keeping the battery’s topped up?
Our van is yet to be converted so haven’t any battery gadgets yet but the van is siting still for the first time since we purchased it and we are concerned the battery may start to drain .

Hi Katoof, i posted this recently regarding keeping the battery topped up... Charging starter and leisure batteries via solar panel.

Hey Rover, you mean you can charge your starter battery via the towbar socket at the back?? (I've got a towbar socket!) Had a flat battery the other day and had to jump off my wife's car, good to know in future if there's a way to rig something up to the towbar inlet.

Yep. It assumes you have 13pin wiring with pin 9 permanently live and connected to engine battery.

try here ---> Mobile Solar Panels ? . . . - How I Did It -

and below

the 50W panel, then just add a 12v socket plug on the end.

***************************************************************************************************************************

I Just found a Nice 50W foldup Solar kit (with Mono SolarWorld Cells)

50W, 100w, 120W Kit . . . .

s-l400.jpg

BlueFusion Portable Folding Solar Panel Charger 50W, 100W, 120W | eBay
Flex Power 50W, 100W, 120W. Peak Power (Pmax): 50W 100W 120W. Premium Solar Panels and Accessory for Leisure and Marine Applications. Lightweight and Portable. Panel Model: MD1199/50W MD1199/100W MD1199/120W.
rover.ebay.com

1588763482525.png

1588763514748.png

1588763527040.png

BlueFusionlogo-solar-small.png

Premium Solar Panels and Accessory for Leisure and Marine Applications
BlueFusion Portable Folding Solar Panel Charger 50W, 100W, 120W

Portable-Folding-RV-Solar-Panel-Small-1024x777.jpg

Off Grid Applications
Flex Power 50W, 100W, 120W
  • Manufactured from High Efficiency Monocrystalline cells by SolarWorld GmbH, Germany.
  • 25 Year Power Output Warranty***

Lightweight and Portable
  • A quality product, designed to be portable and withstand outdoor environments.
  • Charge mobile devices and batteries on the go.
  • Off-grid charging of batteries for Caravans & RV, Camping and Hiking Equipment, Electric Outboard Trolling Motor, and Residential use.
    Flex-Power-Integrated-USB-Charger-300x300.jpg

Inbuilt Charge Controller

Portable Folding Solar Panel with Integrated Charge Controller
  • Integrated Charge Controller, concealed inside the panel.
  • USB and Battery Charger outputs.
    • Charge Phones and Devices from USB socket, 5V, 1.2 Amp.
    • Charge 12V or 24V Battery. 2m Battery cable, fused and alligator clamps.
  • Excellent low light capabilities.
  • High conversion efficiency.

Electrical Characteristics
Electrical Specification:
Panel Model:MD1199/50WMD1199/100WMD1199/120W
Peak Power (Pmax):50W100W120W
USB Charger Socket (max):5V, 1.2A
Battery voltage (V) *:12V / 24V (Auto Detect)
Discharge Current Rated(Amp):10A
Output power Tolerance:±3%
Power Temperature Coefficient **:-0.39%/°C
Operating Temperature(°C):-35 to +55
Panel Output, Voc (V)/ Imp(A):21.3V / 2.8A21.3V / 5.62A21.3V / 6.67A
* Compatible with Sealed, Gel, and Flooded Batteries. Battery connection required to operate controller. Battery not included.
** Based on standard testing conditions.
Panel Specification
Specification:
Cells:Monocrystalline silicon solar cell manufactured by SolarWorld GmbH
ControllerIntegrated Charge Controller concealed in zipped pouch.
Included Cable:2m battery cable with integrated fuse and alligator clips
Folded Case dimension (cm), L x W x D36 x 30 x 5 cm36 x 30 x 7.5 cm54 x 54 x 5 cm
Unfolded Panel dimension (cm), L X W118 x 36 cm118 x 72 cm180 x 54 cm
Weight (kg)2.4 kg3.9 kg5.2 kg
Note:Specification subject to change, manufacturing tolerance and product improvement. Can withstand some drizzle, protect from substantial rain.
Linear Power Warranty***
  • 25 Year, 80% power output warranty
  • 1 Year limited product warranty
Precaution: Solar panels produce electricity and can lead to electrical shock and injury. All electrical connections should be carried out by a competent adult.

try here ---> Mobile Solar Panels ? . . . - How I Did It -

and below

the 50W panel, then just add a 12v socket plug on the end.

***************************************************************************************************************************

I Just found a Nice 50W foldup Solar kit (with Mono SolarWorld Cells)

50W, 100w, 120W Kit . . . .

s-l400.jpg

BlueFusion Portable Folding Solar Panel Charger 50W, 100W, 120W | eBay
Flex Power 50W, 100W, 120W. Peak Power (Pmax): 50W 100W 120W. Premium Solar Panels and Accessory for Leisure and Marine Applications. Lightweight and Portable. Panel Model: MD1199/50W MD1199/100W MD1199/120W.
rover.ebay.com

1588763482525.png

1588763514748.png

1588763527040.png

BlueFusionlogo-solar-small.png

Premium Solar Panels and Accessory for Leisure and Marine Applications
BlueFusion Portable Folding Solar Panel Charger 50W, 100W, 120W

Portable-Folding-RV-Solar-Panel-Small-1024x777.jpg

Off Grid Applications
Flex Power 50W, 100W, 120W
  • Manufactured from High Efficiency Monocrystalline cells by SolarWorld GmbH, Germany.
  • 25 Year Power Output Warranty***

Lightweight and Portable
  • A quality product, designed to be portable and withstand outdoor environments.
  • Charge mobile devices and batteries on the go.
  • Off-grid charging of batteries for Caravans & RV, Camping and Hiking Equipment, Electric Outboard Trolling Motor, and Residential use.
    Flex-Power-Integrated-USB-Charger-300x300.jpg

Inbuilt Charge Controller

Portable Folding Solar Panel with Integrated Charge Controller
  • Integrated Charge Controller, concealed inside the panel.
  • USB and Battery Charger outputs.
    • Charge Phones and Devices from USB socket, 5V, 1.2 Amp.
    • Charge 12V or 24V Battery. 2m Battery cable, fused and alligator clamps.
  • Excellent low light capabilities.
  • High conversion efficiency.

Electrical Characteristics
Electrical Specification:
Panel Model:MD1199/50WMD1199/100WMD1199/120W
Peak Power (Pmax):50W100W120W
USB Charger Socket (max):5V, 1.2A
Battery voltage (V) *:12V / 24V (Auto Detect)
Discharge Current Rated(Amp):10A
Output power Tolerance:±3%
Power Temperature Coefficient **:-0.39%/°C
Operating Temperature(°C):-35 to +55
Panel Output, Voc (V)/ Imp(A):21.3V / 2.8A21.3V / 5.62A21.3V / 6.67A
* Compatible with Sealed, Gel, and Flooded Batteries. Battery connection required to operate controller. Battery not included.
** Based on standard testing conditions.
Panel Specification
Specification:
Cells:Monocrystalline silicon solar cell manufactured by SolarWorld GmbH
ControllerIntegrated Charge Controller concealed in zipped pouch.
Included Cable:2m battery cable with integrated fuse and alligator clips
Folded Case dimension (cm), L x W x D36 x 30 x 5 cm36 x 30 x 7.5 cm54 x 54 x 5 cm
Unfolded Panel dimension (cm), L X W118 x 36 cm118 x 72 cm180 x 54 cm
Weight (kg)2.4 kg3.9 kg5.2 kg
Note:Specification subject to change, manufacturing tolerance and product improvement. Can withstand some drizzle, protect from substantial rain.
Linear Power Warranty***
  • 25 Year, 80% power output warranty
  • 1 Year limited product warranty
Precaution: Solar panels produce electricity and can lead to electrical shock and injury. All electrical connections should be carried out by a competent adult.

Brilliant- Thankyou :)

ours didn’t go completely flat, but it gave us a low voltage warning, so we took it for a drive to top the battery back up. We’ll get a cheapish 500ma solar panel to plug into the cigarette lighter if that will work, until we get the proper solar system installed.

Back