Flat Battery after 3 weeks

Zagora

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Went on holiday a few months ago and the van was left parked at home for three weeks. Prior to going away I was doing a 42 mile drive to work every day so the battery was as charged as it could have been...no short journeys or having all the electrics on. I also have a spare battery fitted by Absolut5.
On my return i tried to start the van...nothing, not even the warning lights on the dash coming on.
Managed to jump start it...just and its been fine since but it doesnt get left for more than a day.
Now I dont want to keave it parked up for a few days without worrying, I certainly won't be leaving it parked at an airport if i travel abroad for a week.
I took it to the main dealer, they charged it overnight and left it to moniter if there was a power drain going on.
The dealer told me everything is normal and there is nothing anyone can do to rectify this.
Van is 11months old and has a Varta AGM battery.

It seems i have to live with this issue which i find to be unacceptable having spent £40k on a new vehicle.
Has anyone else had issues with these batteries?

If the dealer says there is no power drain, then the battery is faulty. I can leave our van for 4 weeks no problem.

Pete

Not gone 4weeks myself yet.... but was fine at 16days..

MY18 OEM Varta battery

Now starting to use the van I bought in Feb.

Nothing on the C-Tek is running as yet and I've pulled the fuse to it as a test. Leave the van for 4 days and it churns slowly for a couple of attempts then only clicks the started relay.
Had a couple of decent runs before the weekend and parked with no opening of doors etc as I was away.

What's the general experience of dealer visits and warrantee on this?? I'm reading mixed answers...

Cheers.

Now starting to use the van I bought in Feb.

Nothing on the C-Tek is running as yet and I've pulled the fuse to it as a test. Leave the van for 4 days and it churns slowly for a couple of attempts then only clicks the started relay.
Had a couple of decent runs before the weekend and parked with no opening of doors etc as I was away.

What's the general experience of dealer visits and warrantee on this?? I'm reading mixed answers...

Cheers.
If you just bought it you have a warranty so just throw the problem back to them.
Is your starter battery a Moll?

also, what is your van? age? new/secondhand?

What @Loz said . . . . . Probably a dodgy MOL battery?

Get it replaced.

Yeah the question was what are peoples experience on here of getting them replaced?
I have read a number of posts that state dealers are arguing the toss and trying to charge for the batteries and labour.

Yes it's got a year of warranty left.

Yeah the question was what are peoples experience on here of getting them replaced?
I have read a number of posts that state dealers are arguing the toss and trying to charge for the batteries and labour.

Yes it's got a year of warranty left.
Sounds like they're dodging the issue, do have a dedicated battery supplier you could visit that can independently test the battery for you? Then take the results back to the dealer?

The dealer told me the battery is fine and theres lots of things running innthe background that will drain the battery.
Speaking with a friend last night who owns a new Land Rover Discovery says the problem is common with owners of his vehicle. The forum he's on is full of stories of owners having flat batteries.
It seems to be a common problem with Euro6 diesels!

Surely if you cant leave a vehicle parked for a few weeks without having a flst battery its not fit for purpose!

Leaving mine at Heathrow for 3 1/2 weeks tomorrow, fingers crossed but my battery is only 2 weeks old. I also have a lithium jump start pack just in case.

If it's under warranty just call out vw assist and ask for a TECH and not the RAC to attend

If it's under warranty just call out vw assist and ask for a TECH and not the RAC to attend

I had a flat battery after my last holiday. Dealer said the battery was fine but if it happens again using the vw recovery service is the best option as they will carry a spare battery and may swap it out if faulty whereas it’s an order in job for the dealer...

I've had a good experience of getting a Moll starter battery replaced. It hadn't failed to start the van, but put that warning message up about shutting down the radio etc. And it was often down to 30% SOC or less.
It was booked in for the first oil service at about 12000 miles with Robinsons in Norwich, and they said two days with overnight test of the battery. As it turned out they tested it on the first day and replaced it there and then. An Exide EFB. Seems ok so far, with the result that Stop Start now stops more often...
ReplacementStarterBattery.jpg

Sorry forgot, it was warranty replacement no problem, and it's a March 2018 T6.

So it seems I'm not covered by VW Tech van but only subbies as I'm in deepest darkest West Wales. Nearest van dealer is an hour and a half away and they want it for three days, despite the tech vans being able to diagnose, fit and test within an hour at the road side?!?! They have ONE tech van for the whole of Sth Wales and he's on holiday for a week anyway... (I did think of driving near Swansea outside office hours and 'breaking down' but I'd have to wait until he's back off holiday! :mad:

Battery is dying overnight now :(

So, looks like my only option is for recovery to Swansea, be without it for three days and take a day off to go and get it!!!

Booked in on 20th June so van sat lonely until then.

Carista arrived today so scanned and got this. 'Central electronics: 04194'
Trying to find out if this is related to the battery issue. Can't find that on 'tinternet at all. All seem to stop at 03003 and then jump to 16344. Can't find any that start with '04'

Anyone know if Carista uses different codes?

Morning all. Just joined this site. I've got a 2017 Bilbos conversion. I also had a flat battery issue.
I got Bilbos to check their installation, all well but they said the battery was basically down to 30% capacity. This explained why it charged up quickly for me off the vehicle. I took it to the local VW van centre. They kept it overnight did some checks and replaced the battery. From speaking to them and the guys at Bilbos although no one will admit it, there is a problem with the OEM batteries. I've had no problem since with a different battery

Back