Flashing Coolant Light

The additive in the coolant expands when heated. That is why you can only measure and topup when cold.
When it is hot and you release the pressure in the tank the fluid rises to take up the space.

Fill it up when its cold and then leave it.

So I’ve topped it up when cold and all’s been good for 2 days.
My fried also had the gear for a pressure test to rule out any kind of leak.
I’ll keep an eye on the level and see how it goes.

And so the saga continues...

After over 2 weeks of running without issue, the coolant light came back on at start up this morning.
3 mile school run, and on restarting, no light.

It sounds like you have a loss in the system somewhere, however, the dealer will not have the time and patience to monitor this for 2 weeks.

If this were mine I would check and top up cold like you did last to this level,
upload_2019-7-19_10-37-21.png

Then use a marker pen to draw a line on the reservoir, then take a photo of the cold level every 3 days, before starting.
You can then use this evidence when you take it to the dealer.

My California is in for a few warranty items and one of them is the returning coolant light. Getting a hot and cold pressure test done. They found coolant loss when hot so she's getting the cold test tomorrow to try and pinpoint. Missing her already driving a courtesy Caddy Max. I reckon I could convert one of these and have a pretty stealthy camper.

So, Van has been in the VE dealership since Monday. 2 day diagnostic found a fault with EGR so that’s been replaced under warranty.

I suppose time will tell

Same here, oddly coolant had been filled well above the max level.

They updated the adblue recall, so I got the 8 fill ups after some prodding!

Same here, oddly coolant had been filled well above the max level.

They updated the adblue recall, so I got the 8 fill ups after some prodding!
When I 1st went in with the fault, mechanic came out to top up my coolant and started saying something along the lines of “yeah VW are now thinking that the min level was set too for the euro6, so I’ll top you up with plenty”

When I 1st went in with the fault, mechanic came out to top up my coolant and started saying something along the lines of “yeah VW are now thinking that the min level was set too for the euro6, so I’ll top you up with plenty”
I'd read somewhere about them adding 330ml above the line supposedly a VW fix.

UPDATE

Fault back on again
Booked back in at VW next week. I genuinely thought the EGR change had solved it.

... and so it continues

UPDATE

Fault back on again
Booked back in at VW next week. I genuinely thought the EGR change had solved it.

... and so it continues
Any joy on yours?
My 204 (58k Miles) has had an egr valve changed 6k miles back and has had low coolant alarm in the last 1k miles. Dealer at first said it was the air escaping from the system after the egr valve change..
Then after a couple of hundred miles its back down again and the red light came on again. They took the van back in for a few days and did all manner of tests but still nothing conclusive. They're sticking to the story that it was still air in the system.. One thing that really worries me is the van is very rough when starting from cold. Might suggest a small amount of water getting into the bores overnight from the pressurised system?
Interestingly the dealers topped the coolant up brim full when they gave it back to me. The level is now back down to just above minimum after 250 miles.

Any joy on yours?
My 204 (58k Miles) has had an egr valve changed 6k miles back and has had low coolant alarm in the last 1k miles. Dealer at first said it was the air escaping from the system after the egr valve change..
Then after a couple of hundred miles its back down again and the red light came on again. They took the van back in for a few days and did all manner of tests but still nothing conclusive. They're sticking to the story that it was still air in the system.. One thing that really worries me is the van is very rough when starting from cold. Might suggest a small amount of water getting into the bores overnight from the pressurised system?
Interestingly the dealers topped the coolant up brim full when they gave it back to me. The level is now back down to just above minimum after 250 miles.
Hi,
It’s been at VW for 2 days and I’ve not had a meaningful update yet. They’ve said they can there is a fault but don’t know what’s causing it.
Mine is also sluggish to start when cold so your theory sounds like a possibility. I’d be relieved if they change the gasket and show me an imperfection. My warranty runs out at the end of the month so fingers crossed!!

Hi,
It’s been at VW for 2 days and I’ve not had a meaningful update yet. They’ve said they can there is a fault but don’t know what’s causing it.
Mine is also sluggish to start when cold so your theory sounds like a possibility. I’d be relieved if they change the gasket and show me an imperfection. My warranty runs out at the end of the month so fingers crossed!!
Luckily my warranty has just run out.. It’s be going on a while though.

Back