Travelin-Lite gloss-black grille fitting [Guide]

GONA66

CARAVELLE
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Fitted my new gloss black grille upper and lower ,and even though the original had the parking sensors it was quite straight forward to adapt the new gloss product with the parking sensors.
I also managed to fit the upper gloss grille without fully removing it from the vehicle ,which again was relatively straightforward. I'll try and explain !

1, Firstly I removed the front wheels ,then I removed the front section of the arch liner from it's fixings.
I then with a piece of electrical wire tied the arch liner to the brake caliper ,this enabled easy access to the fixings securing the front apron to the wing.
2,Having un-clipped the front apron from the wings I then moved on to the upper grille. Whilst the apron was still attached to the front of the vehicle I preceded to un-clip the grille from the apron using a filling knife and some 1mm window glazing packers (white) making sure the packer was between the paint work and the knife !
3,Once the upper grille was un-clipped from the apron I then pulled the apron from the vehicle.
At this stage although the apron was loose it was still attached to the vehicle with cables and washer pipes , so I placed a bucket underneath the front splitter to support the whole assembly.
4,Now I was able to remove the upper grille without the need to continue removing the entire front apron assembly .
5, The tricky bit now was fitting the new gloss black grille in place ,which with a little patience wasn't too bad .
I was now able to re-fit the front apron back to the front wings and into the clips along the front ,fitting back the arch liners and wheels.

Next I removed the lower grille, which is in 3 sections ,the two outside sections have the parking sensors in which is a simple job of dis-connecting the plug in connectors.
Because my new grille did not have the aperture in it for the sensor I had to fabricate a elongated into the new gloss section of grille.
Firstly I removed the sensor from the old grille ,again the filling knife came in handy to assist in releasing the sticky tape holding the sensor on , I then marked the position of the elongated hole onto the new grille .
Then with a new 25mm spade bit in my cordless drill ,from the rear of the grille I drilled the hole. then with a circular rasp file I had to elongate the hole in a horizontal fashion until the sensor fitted. Once this was achieved I fitted the sensor's into the new holes with double sided tape , re connected the plug in clips and fitted the new 3 piece grille into place.
I've included a few pic's to try and show the procedure and hope this may be of assistance to fellow members who contemplate doing this conversion on their vans.20191126_084459.jpg 20191126_084438.jpg 20191125_143255 (1).jpg 20191126_102137 (1).jpg 20191126_102147 (1).jpg 20191126_105409 (1).jpg 20191124_150132.jpg 20191124_150149.jpg 20191124_153933.jpg 20191124_162406.jpg 20191127_135548.jpg

Perfect and did you have to drill out holes for the front sensors as I emailed them today and got this as a response

Hi there at the back there are cut out holes for the sensors that you have to drill through but because it is a gloss black grille you will have to do the job properly and at your own risk due to it could damage the gloss coating if you dont want to do that you are welcome to send it back and we can swap the gloss for a different type grille
Kind regards

Perfect and did you have to drill out holes for the front sensors as I emailed them today and got this as a response

Well, that is sort of correct ! In my case the holes were not apparent on the back of the grille , although it is straight forward to mark them and cut them out.
I cut from the back with a new/sharp spade bit and had no bother . Without prejudice to any one I am a tradesman and cutting of this sort is relatively easy . As with any job where you have to careful time and patience is the way , after all you don't want to ball's it up.;)

Hi Guys Happy New Year, can anyone steer me in the right direction please. I have damaged my front end and need to replace both L+R lower grills, my existing but broken ones have DRLs and PDS holes in them. I only need the plastic part but am struggling to find these in a gloss black, I can find them with either the DRLs or the PDS holes but not both, does anyone know if these exist in preferably in gloss black but if not then grey and I will get them painted

cheers guys

A

Your existing ones should have a part number stamped on them

Part numbers for Transporter’s tend to start with the number 7 followed by a letter.
Based on my (non-DRL) lower grille, you’re looking for a part number similar to
7E5853678 (centre) / 7E5853683 / 7E5853684

738433C6-818B-4EEF-A655-FA95B81E21E2.jpeg

I am after a lower gloss black grille suitable for a vehicle with parking sensors and radar. Wondering if anyone had found one, or will i have to get it sprayed.

J

You could have a word with the guys at travellin lite. They do the lower grill with the radar cutout in glos black and they do the fog light mounts in gloss black too with parking sensor mounts, not sure why would do the fog mounts that allow for the parking sensors if they don’t do the grill to match

Reactions: Jay
I sprayed mine with rattle cans. Easy enough with the correct prep and paint... A chilled lock down activity?

Looks like the travelin lite ones don't have the hole for the parking sensor, so I'm going to have to paint.

Unfortunately no lock down for me as im a key worker (heating engineer). Half of our staff have been furloughed on full pay, not me though I've been put on extended hours. Gutted.

Looks like the travelin lite ones don't have the hole for the parking sensor, so I'm going to have to paint.

Unfortunately no lock down for me as im a key worker (heating engineer). Half of our staff have been furloughed on full pay, not me though I've been put on extended hours. Gutted.
That must prove how good you are at you job then a stay safe mate

Hi I’ve got the two outside lower grill trims painted gloss black which are genuine

VW and have the parking sensor cut outs, but no centre grill with radar cut out sorry.

Was going to put them on eBay, anyone interested on here make me an offer.

Actually that’s funny because I currently have my original centre lower grill with radar cutout at the local body shop getting sprayed up gloss black as a tester before I get all the grills and fog mount done

Back