Fitting Skipton Car Radio Rear Speaker Pods

Tsixty

T6 Guru
I've purchased the SCR rear speaker pod and head unit connection kit (so I don't have to worry about putting new pins in the existing quadlock) that fits in the rear corners of the van (excellent service and quality looking products from SCR btw). I'm happy pulling the head unit out and running the cables but I am a little bit nervous about drilling the holes in the van to mount the pods. I think it is because I don't know what is behind the rear pillars in terms of cables etc. There isn't any indication on the pods where is best to drill them and hence drill into the van for the self tappers. Has anyone who has fitted these pods got a picture of exactly where you drilled them to mount them? Did you just drill the hole or did you have to remove any cables etc out of the way first? I'm doing this whilst trying to dismantle as little of the van as possible, so any other fitting advice would be most welcome. Thanks.

I've purchased the SCR rear speaker pod and head unit connection kit (so I don't have to worry about putting new pins in the existing quadlock) that fits in the rear corners of the van (excellent service and quality looking products from SCR btw). I'm happy pulling the head unit out and running the cables but I am a little bit nervous about drilling the holes in the van to mount the pods. I think it is because I don't know what is behind the rear pillars in terms of cables etc. There isn't any indication on the pods where is best to drill them and hence drill into the van for the self tappers. Has anyone who has fitted these pods got a picture of exactly where you drilled them to mount them? Did you just drill the hole or did you have to remove any cables etc out of the way first? I'm doing this whilst trying to dismantle as little of the van as possible, so any other fitting advice would be most welcome. Thanks.
This is a great question as I’m looking to fit the same kit and have opened the package and am putting aside next weekend to fit them and carpet line (or make a start) to the van. Would love to see how others have done this. Any good advice about running the cables and how you fit to the head unit? Thanks

This is a great question as I’m looking to fit the same kit and have opened the package and am putting aside next weekend to fit them and carpet line (or make a start) to the van. Would love to see how others have done this. Any good advice about running the cables and how you fit to the head unit? Thanks
@Nick Rutter I've not started yet, I purchased the version that came with the new connector and lead to go into the back of the head unit to avoid the dismantling of the quadlock connector and putting new pins in. I'm hoping that the connection to the head until will be the easiest part of the install.

Same here. If I get it done this wknd, I’ll let you know how I get in. Would love to find a thread dedicated to a step guide to this.

8C73AE6F-977B-476F-AC51-D2DD796B1AA1.jpeg1075FDBC-8BBB-4E01-8EDA-C7A2DE5230E6.jpeg

4616F93F-E19C-4C0D-8467-1EC313E3B483.jpeg

628FF3CA-BB88-431E-989B-EF467C5F9AB8.jpeg

CBFB1EE0-C0F3-46C3-A159-E2FDCC3B96A3.jpeg

Got the rear speakers in at last. Wasn’t too tricky in the end. Connector easily fit, then ran the cables through the back of the glove box and up the A pilar and along the roof to the back. Mixed up the cables at first then had to back track to get the correct left and right leads together. Stick to the colour code ans don’t get smart like I did. Also the screwing in the pod housing was a bit tricky as I’d carpet lined the van and had to pre drill all the carpets to let the self tappers screws work. Solid fit and Sounds great. Also upgraded the front speakers at the same time.
@Nick Rutter I've not started yet, I purchased the version that came with the new connector and lead to go into the back of the head unit to avoid the dismantling of the quadlock connector and putting new pins in. I'm hoping that the connection to the head until will be the easiest part of the install.
How did you get on?

Reactions: CAB
@Nick Rutter thanks for posting pictures of your installation - it will help me loads, particularly combined with some help I got off @RedUn who has done the same install. Unfortunately I haven't had time to even start yet. All I've done so far is mount the speaker mounting rings to the pods. I won't have time to do it in one go so will be doing bit by bit. Hopefully this weekend I'll get the radio out and the new speaker wires to the bottom of the A pillar where they will probably have to just dangle for a bit.

Most importantly how do they sound?

Got round to doing this today. However because I was short of time I replaced trim etc as I went rather than getting the whole job of feeding the wires done and testing it before putting it all back together - lesson learnt there, as only one of the new rear speakers is working. Got the fader coded OK using OBDEleven but guess I need to get the head unit back out tomorrow to see if there is a dodgy connection there on one of the new speaker wires. If not, then a case of trying to see if there is a break in the cable somewhere.

Got round to doing this today. However because I was short of time I replaced trim etc as I went rather than getting the whole job of feeding the wires done and testing it before putting it all back together - lesson learnt there, as only one of the new rear speakers is working. Got the fader coded OK using OBDEleven but guess I need to get the head unit back out tomorrow to see if there is a dodgy connection there on one of the new speaker wires. If not, then a case of trying to see if there is a break in the cable somewhere.
Do you k ow if carista can activate rear fader function?

Back