Fitting rigid solar panels to pop top roof??

JM87

Just wondering what opinions people have when fitting the rigid solar panels to pop top roofs, ie screwing the feet down with large washers or plates on the underside or just bonding the feet down with adhesive???

Not sure about drilling and screwing into the roof.... i wouldn't feel to comfortable about doing that.... maybe others have done that type of installation...

Mine was bonded on with Stikaflex and some other compound.... although i think mine was regarded as semi-rigid...

i.jpg

Not sure about drilling and screwing into the roof.... i wouldn't feel to comfortable about doing that.... maybe others have done that type of installation...

Mine was bonded on with Stikaflex and some other compound.... although i think mine was regarded as semi-rigid...

View attachment 82182
Tidy install. Where are your wires?!

I mounted a rigid panel on my pop top fiberglass roof and sikaflexed the mounting brackets and also bolted with a washer underneath.

I live in a hot climate and leaving an air gap between roof and panel is desirable or panel can eventually overheat and fail.

This may not be applicable in your circumstances , but in Australia you often see rigid panels on caravans and campervans etc.

This may seem like overkill glueing and screwing but a panel coming off at high speed and hitting someone may be catastrophic.

Tidy install. Where are your wires?!

The convertor said its one of those jobs that they really have to take their time with the router on.... One slip and they're through the headlining...!

82512844_2692530620834514_813823442766790656_n.jpg83198317_2692530587501184_7482663586112733184_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back