Fitting plastic trims

RayF

T6 Guru
I’ve got a shed load of black plastic trims to fit when I get my van in a bit, wheel arch trims, side trims, bonnet protection etc, and I’m wondering if anyone has fitted any of these using a sealant/adhesive rather than just 3M tape? I‘m concerned that, if I just use the 3M tape, there is a small gap for water and dirt to accumulate behind the plastic. I always use a non silicone based marine adhesive/sealant on my boat and it’s good stuff and I’m thinking it would be a good idea to use it for this job. What do you think?

Stikaflex seems to be the bonding adhesive of choice.... Certainly better than just relying on the 3m tape.

But be careful,,, If you change your mind it will be a bit more difficult to remove at a later date..!

Stikaflex seems to be the bonding adhesive of choice.... Certainly better than just relying on the 3m tape.

But be careful,,, If you change your mind it will be a bit more difficult to remove at a later date..!
And it’s black as an added bonus.

Last edited:

Do you know of any products that can be used to remove / break down this type of adhesive? I’ve just removed my rear spoiler and need to clean up the remainder

Do you know of any products that can be used to remove / break down this type of adhesive? I’ve just removed my rear spoiler and need to clean up the remainder

I found it more effective to rub it off with your thumb, then any last bits I used Isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol ).

Back