Fitting Leisure Battery and Sterling Relay

Brooksy

Hi All,

Just after a couple of pointers if possible.

In this downtime and stuck at home I was going to attempt to fit my leisure batteries under the two captain seats and sterling split charger. I also have a small inverter and dimmer for the rear lights.

I have absolutely no experience in auto electrics so don't know if it is best to just take my van in somewhere and get it done but could be weeks yet!

I was told that VW have provided the mains from the battery to under the seat but I don't know what I am looking out for! Does anyone have pics of their setup and a bit of info of what I will need?

I currently have:
2 x Leisure Batteries 110ah
1 x Sterling split charger pro Batt Ultra
1 x 1000w DC-AC power inverter

What size cable should I use to link the batteries?
What size cable from van battery to split charger and again to leisure battery?
Fuse either side of split charger? If so what size fuses?
Do I need battery trays if going under the seat?
Also thinking about installing portable solar at later date to connect to an Anderson connector. Does this need to go through split charger?

Sorry these questions may be pretty basic!

I also have heated seats, led lights in back connected to the doors and 12v/Usb sockets at points in the rear that I need to distribute between the van battery and leisure batteries! So not all straight forward.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Ryan

Hi @Brooksy and welcome to the forum.
Can I suggest you start with reading the sticky posts at the top of this section. That will give you a pretty good steer on what you will need to do. Pretty much all of your answers are in there.
I am not familiar with the Sterling Spilt Charger you have but if its not a DC-DC charger it might not be suitable for your van which if its a T6 is probably an EU5 or EU6 engine with stop start systems.
I checked and its listed here, should be fine but you might need another box if you wan tthat solar input.
I would check that out first. Again its in the stickys at the top. Happy to answer questions later for you:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Welcome Brooksy.

Re the factory wiring for an auxiliary battery, does yours look like this?

Back