[Guide] Fitting H&R Anti-Roll Bars

kiter

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Plan is to tackle this job over the weekend, if I can get on my neighbours ramp. There are no instructions with mine and I'm wondering if anyone has these around that they could scan in or even just give me some pointers. I tried to call Vanstyle at lunchtime today but gave up after 15 mins in a queue being told my call would be answered shortly as I had to get back to work. Any help appreciated.

My set didn't come with instructions either but its fairly straightforward to fit the H&R ARBs (Euro 5, 5 speed van).

Get both sides of whichever end you are working on off the deck to make it easy on yourself, you dont want any torsion on the ARB!

The method I used on the front was to unbolt the drop links from the ARB, then unbolt the subframe saddles. To get clearance to remove the oem ARB, unbolt the NS hard piped section of one of the power steering pipes which allowed me to flex it out of the way (because of the rubber sections its swaged to) in order to remove the dpf sensor connector holding plate. With that out of the way there was enough room to remove the arb out of the NS arch and fit the H&R in the same way the oem came out.

Photos below the pipe bracket and connector mounting plate I remove to get clearance, should give you an idea of where the bolts are on each.

The diagonal metal/rubber hose I unbolted and moved (10mm head bolt).

20190419_172123.jpg

20190419_172127.jpg

Then removed the 17mm headed bolt accessed from behind the connector holding plate with the power steering hose shown above moved out of the way (it covers the bolt head if not moved).

20190419_172455.jpg

20190419_172330.jpg

20190419_172138.jpg

Plenty of room now!

20190419_172144.jpg

The rear was easy. Again, with both wheels off the deck and suspension unloaded (ignore the blocks under the wheels in the photo below, that was post ARB fitting!), undo each rear arm clamp and then the middle chassis clamps......just dont drop the ARB on your face! :laugh:

20190420_132301.jpg

Last edited:
brilliant thanks mate, will make life a lot easier:) just need to hope neighbours ramp is free over the weekend.

brilliant thanks mate, will make life a lot easier:) just need to hope neighbours ramp is free over the weekend.

No worries. :thumbsup:

You'll be needing XZN/Tri square bits to remove the front and rear ARB chassis clamps.

My set didn't come with instructions either but its fairly straightforward to fit the H&R ARBs (Euro 5, 5 speed van).

Get both sides of whichever end you are working on off the deck to make it easy on yourself, you dont want any torsion on the ARB!

The method I used on the front was to unbolt the drop links from the ARB, then unbolt the subframe saddles. To get clearance to remove the oem ARB, unbolt the NS hard piped section of one of the power steering pipes which allowed me to flex it out of the way (because of the rubber sections its swaged to) in order to remove the dpf sensor connector holding plate. With that out of the way there was enough room to remove the arb out of the NS arch and fit the H&R in the same way the oem came out.

Photos below the pipe bracket and connector mounting plate I remove to get clearance, should give you an idea of where the bolts are on each.

The diagonal metal/rubber hose I unbolted and moved (10mm head bolt).

View attachment 43588

View attachment 43589

Then undid the 17mm headed bolt accessed from behind the plate with the power steering hose shown above moved out of the way (it covers the bolt head if not moved).

View attachment 43590

View attachment 43591

View attachment 43592

Plenty of room now!

View attachment 43593

The rear was easy. Again, with both wheels off the deck and suspension unloaded (ignore the blocks under the wheels in the photo below, that was post ARB fitting!), undo each rear arm clamp and then the middle chassis clamps......just dont drop the ARB on your face! :laugh:

View attachment 43595
Did you change your drop links at the same time?

No worries. :thumbsup:

You'll be needing XZN/Tri square bits to remove the front and rear ARB chassis clamps.

Very fortunate neighbour has a very well equipped workshop, which so long as I drop him a supply of strongbow he is a happy man and I get access to all the tools.

should I be doing these as well, van is just over a year old with 8k on the clock?

Entirely up to you really, mine were still in good order too.

My thoughts were; if you are going to the extent of fitting an improved ARB, you might as well improve the drop links to get the best results from the new setup.

I have no idea how much flex the oem 'U' channel drop links have but they dont look the sturdiest! Glad I had the HD Meyle to hand though as one of the oem drop links Torx pattern rounded out on removal of one side and needed cutting off. :thumbsdown:

Last edited:

My thoughts were; if you are going to the extent of fitting an improved ARB, you might as well improve the drop links to get the best results from the new setup.

I have no idea how much flex the oem 'U' channel drop links have but they dont look the sturdiest! Glad I had the HD Meyle to hand though as one of the oem drop links Torx pattern rounded on removal and needed cutting off. :thumbsdown:
better get ordering...……… rather do everything at once. Sold some limited edition whisky couple of weeks ago and they did way better than I expected so van is getting some upgrades on the excess:)

I have no idea how much flex the oem 'U' channel drop links have but they dont look the sturdiest! Glad I had the HD Meyle to hand though as one of the oem drop links Torx pattern rounded out on removal of one side and needed cutting off. :thumbsdown:

Likewise. Had same problem with the drop link torx rounding. Ended up replacing with better quality after market links.

Where did you guys pick up the arbs from?
Vanstyle via ebay, seemed to be cheaper to buy them this way rather than direct from their website as there was free postage, even to the highlands and I needed the ones for LED headlights. I paid £449 via ebay and website price with delivery was £485.99, not sure if they have a wee mistake here.

When you see the diameter of the new rear bar you will see why, it's a fair old rod!

For me, I'd say they are worth it, even at full price (home fitting saves money though).

I can imagine, I'll slap some on there no doubt, I've bought h&r bars for much more niche vehicles for less that's all!

I can imagine, I'll slap some on there no doubt, I've bought h&r bars for much more niche vehicles for less that's all!

I will let you know how it feels once done, I'm not planning on lowering mine but just want to improve the handling a bit.

Back