Now been through every page... epic that. Few things...

I don’t think I have gaffa tape but I got them powder coated haha
Love the wasted space above driver seat

Hopefully catch you at a show this year!

Hey Fish.

Now that our van purchase is imminent, I am beginning to nosey through various threads again to see what I would like.

When you wrote an electric HiLo roof (on page 10), did you mean one that rises and lowers by an electric button rather than straps and pushing??
:)

Hey Fish.

Now that our van purchase is imminent, I am beginning to nosey through various threads again to see what I would like.

When you wrote an electric HiLo roof (on page 10), did you mean one that rises and lowers by an electric button rather than straps and pushing??
:)
I’m fairly sure he did - I recall it was Visiontech Automotive Essex who made an electric HiLo.

I’m fairly sure he did - I recall it was Visiontech Automotive Essex who made an electric HiLo.

Have now read the rest of the thread and am a bit put off by the comments on here about hilo's standards. Did they ever resolve the issues??
:unsure:

Might get the austops roof for a few years then upgrade to a california electric roof once we have the basics done (read 'converted the whole van'). There are quite a lot of basics required.
:D

Have now read the rest of the thread and am a bit put off by the comments on here about hilo's standards. Did they ever resolve the issues??

Might get the austops roof for a few years then upgrade to a california electric roof once we have the basics done (read 'converted the whole van'). There are quite a lot of basics required.
That raises an interesting question, has anybody ever had a roof replaced with a completely different make, but using the same 'hole'?

I think most issues surrounding the HiLo have been fitting-related, like squeaks or interior finishing standards.

I’ve no problems with my HiLo two years on.

Austops have been around a lot longer so you’ve got that reassurance.

I honestly don't know but fish could probably make us one.
:p

If it was easier to get down south to the place that does the old california roofs then we would get it down first but it is at the opposite end of country almost.
:(

I am glad that austops is a good make. I had never really heard of them until I looked into the converter. It is who they use.

HiLo is the best IMO.
I have had no issues with the operation nor the fitting of the roof(VisionTech).
Had a couple of things to change which it is booked in for in August..

Electric raise and fall..

HiLo is the best IMO.
I have had no issues with the operation nor the fitting of the roof(VisionTech).
Had a couple of things to change which it is booked in for in August..

Electric raise and fall..

Oh. I thought earlier in the thread, you had said they had done stuff with duct tape. Maybe I misread and it was someone on this thread and not you (sorry).

Did you get your full conversion done by VisionTech?? I can't seem to find the option to just buy a roof and get it delivered to a converters.
Thanks in advance for a reply.

Last edited:
Oh. I thought earlier in the thread, you had said they had done stuff with duct tape. Maybe I misread and it was someone on this thread and not you (sorry).

Did you get your full conversion done by VisionTech?? I can't seem to find the option to just buy a roof and get it delivered to a converters.
Thanks in advance for a reply.
Ah the duck tape was a HiLo failing, yes.
Its basically were they adapt the H rails but rather than do this prior to powder coating, they do it after and stick duck tape to cover it..
But now member know(should know) they can get this sorted by the installer.

You'll need to speak to Vision or VanDoc direct to get them to order.. HiLo only use installers to ensure a fitting 'standard'.

I honestly don't know but fish could probably make us one.
:p

If it was easier to get down south to the place that does the old california roofs then we would get it down first but it is at the opposite end of country almost.
:(

I am glad that austops is a good make. I had never really heard of them until I looked into the converter. It is who they use.
How far north are you?

Aberdeenshire. We are going to see D+R camper conversions in Elgin today about sourcing and converting a van.
So excited.

This will be the most expensive thing we have ever bought (apart from the house) and judging by some of these conversion threads, it might end up more expensive than it.
:laugh:

Back