Firthster Viewing a van

Firthster

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all me again.
Going to view a van tomorrow night< kombi dsg iridium grey 79000 miles private sale.
Now what to look for??
just had cambelt done and dsg oil fsh,
Has anyone got a list of what to look for etc
I was trying to buy from a dealer with warrenty etc but given up on that idea.
any help would be great

If the mileage is legit.. 79k is barely broken in. Indium grey is a bonus... (the second best colour, my wife's T6 is Indium grey so I have to say that and she is a member here)

What year is it? 102? 150? Might help you guesstimate if it has done "hard" or "easy" miles.

Check the wheels for curbing, usually a good sign of if it’s looked after or not. Are all underbody plastic trim still there (good way to knock a few quid off). Might sound weird but what sort of dirt/debris is in the nooks and crannies inside, give you an idea of what it’s been used for. Do all panels line up, evenly spaced. How does the seller come across? What’s his property like?

I’ll be using all these again soon!

Hope all goes well!!!

Cheers Dave
The van has done more miles than id like but the price isnt to bad tbh
150 dsg any thing to look for there or are is there nothing to worry about.

Cheers Dave
The van has done more miles than id like but the price isnt to bad tbh
150 dsg any thing to look for there or are is there nothing to worry about.
Find out if the EGR valve / cooler has ever been replaced and at what milage. With 79K clocked it may well come up soon.

Pay for a professional inspection would be my advice. Watch closely at their reaction when you suggest this.

Then just the usual checks - look for oil in the engine bay and signs of any leaks, test drive while braking sharply looking for any pulling to either side. Don't view if the van is wet, second view when dry if so. Start from cold. Check all the VIN numbers match up. I'm an amateur so probably all obvious suggestions. Good luck.

Ahhh and check everything works. Literally everything. Push all the buttons, switches, dials, slide every seat, open every window. Check hardboard panels for signs of Kombi-Window-Leak and ask if they've ever leaked. Get under the floor mats if you can.

Check areas like the sliding door recess and inner door hinge area to see if it’s been looked after…it’s easy to make it look nice but it’s what’s underneath …..if it smells very nice inside what’s it masking….. seat wear :)

Ideally you should put a code reader on it like Carista to check for any stored trouble codes then the van can tell you if it’s well or not. If you can’t or they won’t let you then get them to confirm there are no stored issues so you have some come back later if you find there are.

You have less protection with a private sale which is why it should be cheaper and you need to try and build in some protection for yourself.

Good call on professional help
AA or any other company? Never used one tbh
The vans in Doncaster it’s on eBay grey kombi with alloys20”

If it’s the one on eBay with a private plate then beware it has H4 headlights. Many on here would say you need to find one with better lights, or set aside £300-£400 so you can fit aftermarket headlights yourself. There are threads dedicated to H4 lights on here which you should read before buying.

I would also look for it having been through a recent MOT

Back