First service

Just make sure you get the correct one, think it's the pro long life one.. Can't remember at the moment, it's expensive, but if you run the wrong one you will stuff things up.. Oil is now part of the emissions system as well as lubrication..
I'm going to drop the oil in mine in the next couple of weeks. Just looking at Halfords website at Castrol edge......it doesn't say "professional" on it but it does show the right spec.......vw 507 00. Will the Halfords "Edge" be ok?

I'm going to drop the oil in mine in the next couple of weeks. Just looking at Halfords website at Castrol edge......it doesn't say "professional" on it but it does show the right spec.......vw 507 00. Will the Halfords "Edge" be ok?

This is what the VW garage service my GTD with (longlife VW 507-00 spec): except they charge £80 for it so I have bought some for top ups and will put a 5l bottle in for them to use at the next service. There is plenty of it on ebay and strangely a lot comes direct from VW dealerships selling it through their ebay shops.
Quantum Longlife 5W-30 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil 5 Litre Bottle

Spoke to Castrol today. Who knew oil was such a bloody minefield! Basically, I wanted to know the difference between Castrol edge and Castrol edge professional. The guy at Castrol said that pro is for use when filled in the factory and is formulated for situations where the vehicle may be parked up (in a field?) for a while before despatch. It is a very slightly different formulation. He confirmed that Castrol Edge 5w-30 LL (50700) is absolutely fine and wouldn't cause any warranty issues. So, it's off to Halfords for me next week for 8L of the stuff. Anyway, there it is fwiw. :thumbsup:

Old thread resurrection.
dunno if this is a new record,I'm getting my oil service light and she's only 10mnth old with 3.5k on the clock .
Q.can this be ignored till some realistic milage has been done,does it need to be done by vw dealership.?

I would never leave oil in my sump more than a year just had the first service done on out van only 6900 miles. I believe in clean oil make for a longer lasting van. I have a t5 2.5 we use it to tow our MK2Golf race car and that has a oil change every year. So far touch wood 8 years in and no problems. This is my opion I think its the cheapest thing to replace that does a vey important job

I called my local VW commercial ( wrexham)t t ask why oil service light was on,was told it might be an error and to take it to a dealership to get it turned off, said first service is 20k,I think hes confused.i will ask again if oil service can only be done by VW dealership or does oil service warning go out automatically once it recognizes it's been done by whoever?

An oil service can be done by anyone, as long as they use VW parts. If you had a warranty issue later on, then VW could use this as an excuse, which is why I went to VW for the first service. The indicator light does not go out automatically - it needs to be turned off explicitly (not sure if this requires something like VCDS).

More importantly, I wouldn't leave it until 20k to get the oil changed. I get ours done every 12k.

Pete

24k miles or 2 years it tells you. Just had mine done after 2 years and it's just done over 10k. I thruth it depends how hard you drive the thing as to changing oil. My mini's were changed every 3 to 6k miles because they were hammered. The last Cali we had had the oil change after 2 years. I would not get too excited over if they say it will go that long it will. Thing that pissed me off was when the service was done they said the air con and break fluid needed changing as well. Why is it an extra it should be part of the service. Cost me another 100 quid and I don't know if the fluid was changed. Tuff if it was not it does not really need changing that often it's just another way to get more money out of you :mad:

Leighton vans,who I bought van from tell me it's a first year service,just oil and filter.
Vw dealership say it's 20k or 2yrs and they will not just turn off" oil service now" indicator.and want £170 to do an oil n filter change and turn indicator off.
I change my bike oil every 3k,but 4k on a van is crazy.

Leighton vans,who I bought van from tell me it's a first year service,just oil and filter.
Vw dealership say it's 20k or 2yrs and they will not just turn off" oil service now" indicator.and want £170 to do an oil n filter change and turn indicator off.
I change my bike oil every 3k,but 4k on a van is crazy.
I was quoted 250 quid to do the oil change the air con was another 100 odd more, it's down as the first service in the book, it's next service will be done by an indipendent if I still have it, I'd rather give my money to a local garage that a dam dealer who rips you off

Back