First service

i've got 500km on the clock and it'll be going in for a oil and filter at 1500km,

i don't like the idea of running it past 1500-2000km on the first fluids, oil is cheap, although it won't help me if the DPF stuffs up:mad:

I will take mine in July for her first oil change as I will have had her 12 months then.

I asked my local dealer if they would change my oil and filter @ 5K and all they could offer was a first service. I'm still considering this but wonder if it will then have a knock on the the service schedules going forward. I'm a great believer in oil quality advances and appreciate that fluids last longer than the old Duckams GTX days but contamination is still contamination and my personal choice is to change @ between 5-6 K and then every year.

Reactions: DPS
Really? The oil is £65 alone....... will be changing mine at 10k..

I plan on keeping my T6 a long time. A lifetime in engineering (some of it in the automotive industry) has taught me that service schedules have little to do with the best choice for longevity and more to do with marketable long service intervals.

65 quid for oil is nothing compared to overall cost of the van and fit out.

Yeah engine and oils are better than days gone by, but getting any possible metal or rubbish out of the engine after breaking in the engine is a no brainer for me.

Would you trust VW to look after you if your engine stuffs up after warranty period is up... i sure don't

I kinda have a fair understanding of how oil and engine wear and the affects of etc. Just thinking 2000 mile oil changes are bit extreme. That's why I've chosen to drop mine at 10k, I did sample it at 5k against a new sample so I had a bench mark to compare. And all the tests we do in the oil lab at work show less than a 5% decrease in some tests at this point. Which working from works guidelines for running a new engine is perfect.
And of course I will sample again at 10k just to see how much the oil has degraded.

After the oil change, my service indicator is now showing as next inspection due in 25,000 miles. I certainly won't be waiting that long before its next change- probably 18k max which I will do in approx 8 months.

Mine is in for first service at 25000, was saying this on mfs from 7000 miles, however changed oil at 12500 for my own peace of mind.

Just dropped my T6 off for its first 'long-life' service at 20000 miles.

The service receptionist quoted £345 for this service due to it being a long-life service plan. Does this sound correct in terms of cost to what you guys have paid?

PS/ the dealer is Marshall, South Oxford (Nr Didcot)

Oil accounts for a large proportion of the costing.. Then dealerships charge large labour rates...

As long as that's the going rate for a transporter service (first one) :thumbsup:

Moving forward, I'll be dropping the oil myself at 10k in between the VW services

Last edited:
If that's your local dealer, I'd just pay it, as any issues over the next 2yrs is down to them.. Divide the cost by 2 and that's your annual service charge. There is a service costs publication by vw somewhere about.. Just google it..

As long as that's the going rate for a transporter service (first one) :thumbsup:

Moving forward, I'll be dropping the oil myself at 10k in between the VW services
Just make sure you get the correct one, think it's the pro long life one.. Can't remember at the moment, it's expensive, but if you run the wrong one you will stuff things up.. Oil is now part of the emissions system as well as lubrication..

Had the first service a month ago at 24k a thousand miles early, but timings meant it had to go in. Longest I've gone with any vehicle for service intervals.

Back