First service

CRD

T6 Guru
I've just had my first oil service done at 16k miles and 6 months old. I do mostly motorway miles at a generally consistent 65mph, so I was surprised at the indicator showing so early. My 2 previous vehicles (A6 2.0tdi and A5 3.0tdi) have eked out between 18 to 19k between oil changes.
Anyone else had/getting close to their first oil change and if so, what sort of mileage did you get?

Last edited:
I'm currently at 20k and it's showing service due at 23k. Mainly motorway miles. Any idea on the cost of the first service from VW?

Reactions: CRD
Mine had its first oil change at about 18500, but can't find my service book to give you the exact mileage

Reactions: CRD
I know I'm not answering your question but I wouldn't want to leave the oil in for 16k. I'm probably over the top on oil changes but mine'll get one at 12 months (probably by me).........at this rate, that'll be approx. 7 to 8 thousand miles.

I'm currently at 20k and it's showing service due at 23k. Mainly motorway miles. Any idea on the cost of the first service from VW?
My first 2 services were included in the purchase plan, but the receipt I got showed it would have cost £165.

I know I'm not answering your question but I wouldn't want to leave the oil in for 16k. I'm probably over the top on oil changes but mine'll get one at 12 months (probably by me).........at this rate, that'll be approx. 7 to 8 thousand miles.
I'm happy to go with the service indicator because the oil is still relatively 'young' (6 months old) at change, but I wouldn't leave my oil in for more than a year irrespective of mileage because of condensation contamination etc. My vehicles are also never driven hard, so I base my decision to leave oil in on that basis.
It's funny though, if you happen to watch American YouTube videos on the subject of oil, many still seem to subscribe to the 5k limit for changes.

I'm happy to go with the service indicator because the oil is still relatively 'young' (6 months old) at change, but I wouldn't leave my oil in for more than a year irrespective of mileage because of condensation contamination etc. My vehicles are also never driven hard, so I base my decision to leave oil in on that basis.
It's funny though, if you happen to watch American YouTube videos on the subject of oil, many still seem to subscribe to the 5k limit for changes.
I know what your saying......maybe I'd take a different view if I'd racked up 16k in 6 months. I've always been quite happy to change oil on a 12 monthly basis.

Hi all, I have always subscribed to the time or mileage schedule for servicing regardless of dealer/manufacturer's schedules. I know it is no longer a fashionable system but I regard servicing as preventive maintenance and your bus is a big investment of your finances and emotions, and if it gives you peace of mind then "way to go". I've always calculated 12 months or 10k miles (now 15k kms for me), whichever comes first. Arduous climate of course may lead to revising the schedule - Dusty or sandy areas, extreme temperatures etc.

Done 18000 in 8 months and no service light. (A) roads and around town driving.
Never go over 3000rpm.

Never go over 3000rpm.
wow! I don't often.......and if I do, it's not for long......and generally it's to just clear the old boys throat. I'm also conscious of clogging things up at low revs. I think I took him to 4000 rpm once but decided all I was doing was converting shell nitro (or whatever it's called these days?) into noise!

wow! I don't often.......and if I do, it's not for long......and generally it's to just clear the old boys throat. I'm also conscious of clogging things up at low revs. I think I took him to 4000 rpm once but decided all I was doing was converting shell nitro (or whatever it's called these days?) into noise!
I always change gear by 3000rpm and 3000rpm is 100mph in my 6 speed 140. After that i agree its mainly noise !

Anyway, the point I was making was that the T6 oil change schedule is apparently
Never go over 3000rpm.
As a matter of interest, what mileage is your MFD showing until oil change due?

Anyway, the point I was making was that the T6 oil change schedule is apparently

As a matter of interest, what mileage is your MFD showing until oil change due?
Showing another 7000 miles to service so 25000miles

Back