First aid kit

Linoleum Bonypart

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Can anyone recommend a kit with all bits n bobs that covers most scenarios.... Trying to fill under passengers seat lol.. Cheers

Can anyone recommend a kit with all bits n bobs that covers most scenarios.... Trying to fill under passengers seat lol.. Cheers
Plasters of all sizes, field dressings, and burns are the most commonly used. Tablets, too.

Something people rarely consider is a tourniquet. Or haemorrhage gauze dressing. You don’t get them in everyday kits, but should do.
DR’s ABC doesn’t really cover it, but if you’ve got a catastrophic bleed, chest compressions or a bandage isn’t going to save anyone.

Plasters of all sizes, field dressings, and burns are the most commonly used. Tablets, too.

Something people rarely consider is a tourniquet. Or haemorrhage gauze dressing. You don’t get them in everyday kits, but should do.
DR’s ABC doesn’t really cover it, but if you’ve got a catastrophic bleed, chest compressions or a bandage isn’t going to save anyone.
I would also recommend getting a tourniquet, but I can't recommend strongly enough that you buy a genuine CAT tourniquet, not a cheap knock off one where the windlass is liable to break. The other alternative, though not as good would be a tourni-key, which are cheaper. A second recommendation is to learn how to use it. Having taught trauma/first aid training it is amazing how many people haven't a clue how they work and assume you just tie something around a limb tightly. They do work, they save lives.

Depends what you want it for ;) If you've ever actually needed one you'll realise that commercial first-aid pouches are useless for anything beyond a mild headache :)
If its to deal with a real accident or genuine medical emergency I'd supplement a commercial one with useful stuff like Nige's big gel haemostatic gauze patches (they really are good for serious grazing and trauma), proper big strong bandages and pads, a big reel of medical tape, velcro straps & strong scissors and a proper thick blanket, then for minor cuts superglue (yes) and finger bandage :thumbsup:

Most of the important stuff seems to have been covered above BUT almost as important is knowing how to use it all!

I have a Skoda supplied kit in mine and SWMBOs car - I go through every few years and replace everything. I have a few sealed capsules of saline. Good for washing wounds or grit out of your eye. I also have some inadine patches (iodine impregnated gauze) which is good for anything that looks infected.

We also tend to carry a pack of baby wipes in the car, even though the kids are 13 & 15, which are good for cleaning lots of things!

Ian

Back