Firmware Update For Postcode Input In Discover Media?

dmk

mojaveist
T6 Pro
I have a 2017 T6 with the Discover Media head unit.

I originally thought the satnav was rubbish as I couldnt search for postcodes via "new destination" option, as it seemd to not accept more than 4 characters.
After some initial hatred of the unit, I then read on a blog that you have to dig further down in "City" and the press the pstcd button hidden in bottom left corner. Ok happy days I can then search for postcodes after several clicks of menu (still irritating though)

Now I've read same issue on other VW cars (found info on a Polo forum), where the latest cars have different firmware that allows postcode entry on first menu page of "new destination".

Does anyone know of this and can we get our head units updated to this new firmware for free?

cheers

261B657E-18FD-4542-ADBA-60F71A045A57.png Hi, go to Volkswagen Map & Softwareupdates

Then click on the download for ...... to instal the database download manager and then follow the prompts.
Do not download the maps (lower down on the page) unless you want to do it manually, it’s best to let the download manager do it for you.

Thanks but thats the map material/update (which I already have).

The firmware is different

I've tried running the update utility via app connect while the head unit is connected to VW, but no joy

Last edited:
I have the postcode option on the home screen on mine, it’s only 6 weeks old mind.

I have the postcode option on the home screen on mine, it’s only 6 weeks old mind.
So does mine and it’s two years old. The last update also removed the need to put a space in the postcode which made things a lot easier

View attachment 31365 Hi, go to Volkswagen Map & Softwareupdates

Then click on the download for ...... to instal the database download manager and then follow the prompts.
Do not download the maps (lower down on the page) unless you want to do it manually, it’s best to let the download manager do it for you.
Thanks for this link - I've just used it to successfully upgrade my maps. However, I still have the same issue as @dmk reported in that the postcode is only accessible via "New Destination -- City --Ptcd. -- Enter postcode" and a further slight annoyance is that the opening screen of the "Enter postcode" screen is for numbers, meaning, for all UK postcodes, you have to change the screen via the "ABC" button to start entering the postcode.

As I say, slight annoyance that I got used to a long while ago but was hoping that the details in this thread would help remove. Am I missing something?

Thanks for this link - I've just used it to successfully upgrade my maps. However, I still have the same issue as @dmk reported in that the postcode is only accessible via "New Destination -- City --Ptcd. -- Enter postcode" and a further slight annoyance is that the opening screen of the "Enter postcode" screen is for numbers, meaning, for all UK postcodes, you have to change the screen via the "ABC" button to start entering the postcode.

As I say, slight annoyance that I got used to a long while ago but was hoping that the details in this thread would help remove. Am I missing something?
I have just been out to mine and yes I’m afraid that’s the way it works, I’m guessing it’s because postcodes are rather unique to the U.K. so our European friends would rather have City as first choice - as I say it’s just a guess.

Footnote- my wife thinks that the postcode did used to be on the first screen so now I am confused, we have however just returned from France so I did have it set for France before changing the country setting back so perhaps I need to go and play with it a bit more.

Last edited:
I might have missed the point of using postcodes. Have you tried by selecting search option “POI or address”? That allows entering just partial address including house number. See examples below, e.g. entering just “GRA PARK COLIN” starts auto-filling and eventually narrows the results to the only one. But unfortunately this doesn’t work for postcodes.

NAV_select_POI.jpg
NAV_gra_park_colin.jpg
In the results the matching characters are the blue'ish.
NAV_gra_park_colin_completed.jpg

Another search "HOLD HILL HEND" results more possibilities for selection from the list or further reduced by typing further:
NAV_hold_hill_hend.jpg
NAV_hold_hill_hend_completed.jpg

I have just been out to mine and yes I’m afraid that’s the way it works, I’m guessing it’s because postcodes are rather unique to the U.K. so our European friends would rather have City as first choice - as I say it’s just a guess.

Footnote- my wife thinks that the postcode did used to be on the first screen so now I am confused, we have however just returned from France so I did have it set for France before changing the country setting back so perhaps I need to go and play with it a bit more.

Nigel, having been to Franc this summer after updating my maps etc. before we went I find that Discover Media is still quoting the old speed national limit for France. Is yours or have you got an even later version of the software? If so what version is yours?

Rod

Nigel, having been to Franc this summer after updating my maps etc. before we went I find that Discover Media is still quoting the old speed national limit for France. Is yours or have you got an even later version of the software? If so what version is yours?

Rod
Hi Rod, please excuse me if I ramble on for a bit........
Last year we were done by a speed camera in France so this year I thought best get prepared.
I always download and send to the camper via CarNet, before we leave, all our known destinations together with Archie’s POI for every campsite in France, this for previous years has worked flawlessly and makes life oh so simple.
This year determined not to be caught again I downloaded from this forum the European speed camera database which had to be installed manually via an SD card - no problem and on our way it warned of cameras on the M25 and out of Calais so I was happy.
On day two in France I discovered that although I had the speed cameras it had wiped all my other POI’s and I subsequently learned that you can not mix POI’s loaded by CarNet and loaded manually. Fortunately my daughter back in U.K. reloaded my POI’s back onto CarNet and via the internet on my phone we got them back onto the satnav which, of course, then deleted the speed cameras.
So in order to try to locate all the pesky hidden cameras I turned on my trusty, held in reserve, Garmin (safety zones) so I was using two satnavs.
As the Garmin displays the French speed limits in mph whereas the VW in kph I tended to look at that for speed control rather than the VW so, to be honest, I really didn’t notice. (Does anyone know if the VW can display speed limits in mph on the continent?)
On the odd occasion I did look at the VW it looked OK.
On a positive the routing produced by the VW was generally better than that of the Garmin.

So to answer the original question the map version on my VW is as per current version (4/3/18) and I didn’t notice if it had the new speed limits.

Sorry to waffle and hope you can follow
Nigel

Hi Nigel, it sound as though your Discover Media data is the same as mine. I don't bother with any POIs on Discover Media as I still use Autoroute on a laptop on which I have thousands of POIs for Aires & campsites etc. including my own database.

As for speed / speed limits I am quite happy with kph and have a dash cam that displays my speed in either mph or kph which ever I want as of course will Autoroute. We've had eleven weeks over on the continent this year so are quite used to working in kph & kilometres and of course the old Beetle has a 'Ks' clock so I have to like it here and abroad, there's no choice with a speedo that old and I won't be sticking mph on the face of that!

I might get around to asking VW when they are going to get their offering up to date but I'm not holding my breath for a sensible answer! It'll be interesting if any system can display the correct French speed limit depending on your direction of travel on the roads that are 80kph in one direction and 90kph in the other.

Rod

Just use Google Maps Navigation through App connect. No problems, no worries, no VW software woes....

do you get voice announcements

Yes, same options as phone: On, Alerts only, Mute. Depending on the 'voice' you select (Google maps settings on phone) you can have full road names announced or just where/when to turn.

Back