Finally Joined The Club

Forrest4799

T6 Pro
Well I’ve finally taken the plunge, we’ve just collected our new to us 2016 T6 highline camper in silver, can’t wait to use it but looks like it may have to sit on the drive for a while due to Coronavirus!
Purchased the camper from a car garage so we haven’t been shown how to use anything!
Well please be patient as I’ll have lots of silly questions but 1st I’ve got to figure out how to use the PMS3 power management system...then the questions will start

Welcome! Must be frustrating not being able to use your van! I’ve had mine for 2 years and I’m still itching to get out and explore!

I’ve got a PMS3 if you have any questions.

Ok gents just to confirm I’m doing this right...

When I’m driving or the vans parked on the drive the Charger Supply switch is ON,
the Battery Selector is OFF

When I’m parked up wild camping the Charger Supply is ON
and the Battery Selector is on VAN

When I’m parked up on Electric Hook Up what is the Charger Supply switched too?
And what position is the Battery Selector switched too?

And I presume the Pump switch is used as and when

Also one last thing I’ve had mixed answers regarding the leisure battery...is it being charged when I’m driving and also on electric hook up.

Apologies for the questions just don’t want to muck up!

Cheers

I’ve got a PMS3H with a CTEK 250sa charger (it came with a split charge relay, which I changed very soon after getting the van).

The way I use mine:

if it’s parked up, not being used, the battery selector is off.

if I’m camping without hookup, it’s set to ‘van’ which is the Leisure Battery on mine. (I’ve renamed it Leisure with a label maker)

They recommend turning the battery selector to ‘off’ when driving, but I’ve driven with it on.

if I want to use the vehicle battery as an alternative to the leisure battery (not advised, as you may flatten it and not be able to start the van) I set it to ‘car’ (now labelled starter).

I leave the ‘charger supply’ off unless I’m hooked up to the mains and want to charge the leisure battery. If I put the battery on ‘van’ (Leisure) and the charger supply on (when hooked up), the mains charges the leisure, which runs the camper electrics. I can charge the starter battery, by plugging the mains in, charger to on, and ‘car’ selected on the battery selector (although I don’t do it)

The ‘pump’ switch just isolates the 12v for the tap. I tend to turn mine off if the tank is empty, to avoid accidentally running the pump dry.

As for whether your van charges the leisure when driving, it should do. Look for a 12 DC-DC charger, or potentially a 100A relay somewhere near the leisure battery. Switch to leisure battery. Now watch the LED battery meter and get someone to start the van. The LEDs should indicate a voltage increase. Alternatively use a multi meter.

Hope this clarifies!

Last edited:
Some convertors including mine do not use the 'CAR' option, in order to prevent you accidentally draining your starter battery.

So my switch set to 'CAR' does nothing.

I leave the Charger Supply switch 'ON' and Battery selector 'VAN' when driving or when camper in use or on EHU

Both Off when parked up for any length of time.

Pump 'ON' only when needed

Back