Fiamma's new F40.

Fish

Joiner
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Been chatting with John Cross(awnings) today (in prep for ccm show) and fiamma have released a new variant for vw T5/6, called F40 due out in March/April .(images on google too).

However, speaking with Fiamma trying to pre-order it, they are only available for Left hand drive.. so may be of some use to others.

Im on the wait list for UK RHD

QQ108364_3.jpg

Not sure how it will work with poptops either..

Last edited:
What's the benefits of it?

The fiamma - Shape mainly from what I can understand.. "not so stuck up".. other than that, a new colour in the material, only comes at 2.7m and black casing..
So far that all I can obtain from john cross.

Am I correct in thinking that I couldn't have this on along with a my Thule Roof Bars?

I like it.... But, it states it is not compatible with pop tops or roof bars.
F40van
It looks quite low profile. May only add a few cm to the overall van height - since the high point of the van is in the middle.

If it fits to the standard in-channel roof mount points, what is "handed" about this? Why would it only fit to RHS of the vehicle?
Is it just the mounts that need to be altered and if so how?

Surely the wind mechanism would be at the front instead of the rear. It might be more to do with the profiling of the case and perhaps positioning of fixing brackets to the vehicle mounting points ?

I spoke to a couple of guys on the Fiamma stand at the CCM show.
I was told that the awning unit itself will be the same and that it's the brackets that need to be adapted for a RHD vehicle. Apparently the brackets are somehow "profiled" for the vehicle and so need to be specifically made for the other side.
As far as dates are concerned - nothing concrete, but the estimate was that Fiamma will want one on stand at the show in October and probably generally avaialable early 2018- so 12 months from now.:eek::(
Looks like I won't be getting one for this summer then.

I had one fitted to my T5 and as she had a pop top the old version required you to buy and additional trim piece at £15 per metre that pushed down between the van and awning to stop water running down in the rain! I wasn't impressed! Even then it leaked and for the money that you pay for one, I am not sure I got enough use to justify the cost as they are awful in windy weather too. The brackets are different for pop top and tin top. Pop top will sit on the side whilst tin top sit on the actual top and appear to be less hassel.

I checked into this a bit more and have found out a bit more - the folks at Camperlands seem to be well informed.

The awning installation kit fits to the roof rack mounts, but it cannot simply be mounted on the other side as there is a slight angle at the back of the van and the installation kit has to compensate for this.
The front bracket is flat and horizontal and the rear bracket is slightly angled. If you simply rotated the whole kit to the other side of the van the angled bracket would be fitted on the flat front, and the flat bracket would be fitted on the angled rear. This would cause a problem as you are trying to fit a straight awning in between these two brackets.
There is currently no information about whether Fiamma are even planning to produce such a bracket for 2018.

Back