Fiamma vs sun shade vs event shelter

Thanks - I got them from vanstyle.
One tip - they charge delivery if you buy off their site, but they ship for free if you buy off their eBay site.
Do you happen to know their eBay name, I can't find it and the name "vanstyle" is someone in the states with nothing for sale?

Thanks @TeresaE, will take a look.

@Davenjo - don't suppose you have a picture of your airhub in the bag do you? Trying to visualise how it might compare size wise to our Attar, as freeing up a bit of room in the boot would help. Thanks

Thanks @TeresaE, will take a look.

@Davenjo - don't suppose you have a picture of your airhub in the bag do you? Trying to visualise how it might compare size wise to our Attar, as freeing up a bit of room in the boot would help. Thanks
Sorry no - away all week so can't take a photo of it - it is definitely smaller than our Kela 3 so will be quite a lot smaller than your packaged Attar.

If you haven't already got, I'd invest in a tie down kit:- Fiamma Awning Tie Down S We also bought the plates to put around the feet but, unless you are on really soft ground, I think they are a waste of space - you can get the feet secured just as well using a couple of pegs through the holes in each foot and knocking them in at different angles to each other.

Second that - we were away on the weekend with the Fiamma up and out on our LWB.
Bit scary when the wind picked up but used the tie downs and total confidence.
Fiamma is expensive but well worth it for space and versatility etc.

Please excuse my ignorance but what are the tie down kits and where does it fit? o_O

As Davenjo says - mine just bought from a campervan show last year.
Two triangular webbing bits that slide into the channel on the pull out bit of the Fiamma.
Then two straps with ratchet fasteners and held into ground with two very substantial steel pegs.
Solid!

image.jpeg My personal opinion is the awning I put on my T5 (Fiamma F45s), was the biggest waste of nearly £600 quid I ever spent! It spent most of its time as an ornament rather than an awning as because I couldn't use it for what I brought it for (which was more of a rain shelter) as there was a gap due to me having a pop top and how the brackets fitted, so I would have had to have brought a rubber seal that fitted between the body and the awning and put it in everythime it was raining and I wanted the sliding door open! First time I used it I wound it out and before I could peg it down on the legs, a low gust of wind hit at just the right angle and was enough to bend the aluminium brackets. You couldn't leave it out of a night as it would make you nervous in case it got windy and I can count on one hand all the times we actually got any use out of it. So not sure I would bother again. We now have a day tent that we put up next to the van rather than an awning and it's just awesome, no worries about any wind etc having any impact on the van. Just my opinion and I am sure others will like theirs but for me, no.

Re the Fiamma. I rented a California a few years ago. It came with a Fiamma which I erected so it sloped backward towards the van to give me good head room under the canopy. Over night it rained and filled the canvas up like a bath tub and broke the fixings due to the weight.

Agree with some of the comments.
I am always a bit nervous if its windy...but the tie down straps as mentioned above solve that.
Regarding rain.... it's just getting soaked a few times and then you realise that if you lower one of the legs then the rain just drains nicely away from your van.
If you are really good then you collect it in a bucket and wash with lovely pure rain water!
LOL

View attachment 10868 My personal opinion is the awning I put on my T5 (Fiamma F45s), was the biggest waste of nearly £600 quid I ever spent! It spent most of its time as an ornament rather than an awning as because I couldn't use it for what I brought it for (which was more of a rain shelter) as there was a gap due to me having a pop top and how the brackets fitted, so I would have had to have brought a rubber seal that fitted between the body and the awning and put it in everythime it was raining and I wanted the sliding door open! First time I used it I wound it out and before I could peg it down on the legs, a low gust of wind hit at just the right angle and was enough to bend the aluminium brackets. You couldn't leave it out of a night as it would make you nervous in case it got windy and I can count on one hand all the times we actually got any use out of it. So not sure I would bother again. We now have a day tent that we put up next to the van rather than an awning and it's just awesome, no worries about any wind etc having any impact on the van. Just my opinion and I am sure others will like theirs but for me, no.
We use ours a lot.

My seal is permanently fixed in position so no rain drops for me between door and awning - also use a tie down kit which helps provide a bit of assurance in bad weather (obviously wouldn't leave it out in a gale but happy to leave out it moderate winds and/or torrential rain).

Just come back from a week at Ullswater where we used the Kela 3 for most of the week but with Thursday night and Friday forecast for rain and wind we decided to take the dry Kela down a day early and used the Fiamma - it was out all night in wind and heavy rain with no concerns or problems.

Pegging our safely in wind requires either 2 people or do it in stages - roll out a little way - drop legs so they can be pegged away from the van - roll out a bit further - re peg legs further out - repeat.

To stop water pooling on the canvas, slope it down away from the van with one leg a bit lower than the other so the water naturally runs away.

We use ours a lot.

My seal is permanently fixed in position so no rain drops for me between door and awning - also use a tie down kit which helps provide a bit of assurance in bad weather (obviously wouldn't leave it out in a gale but happy to leave out it moderate winds and/or torrential rain).

Just come back from a week at Ullswater where we used the Kela 3 for most of the week but with Thursday night and Friday forecast for rain and wind we decided to take the dry Kela down a day early and used the Fiamma - it was out all night in wind and heavy rain with no concerns or problems.

Pegging our safely in wind requires either 2 people or do it in stages - roll out a little way - drop legs so they can be pegged away from the van - roll out a bit further - re peg legs further out - repeat.

To stop water pooling on the canvas, slope it down away from the van with one leg a bit lower than the other so the water naturally runs away.
Used to slop mine one way to stop the water collection too. It did help

Back