Fiamma F45 Awning - Rattling...

ahappychappie

T6 Guru
Hi,

I just wondered how much people's awning rattled? I expect a little and its probably a characteristic, but mine really really rattles. If you have the window open and didn't know there was an awning you'd think it was the window and it was about to fall out!! I'm sure it shouldn't rattle that much!

Pretty certain its wound in back correctly, legs secure etc so don't know why its rattling so much.

My conversion was fab and of the highest quality so full confidence it was installed correctly. I've just messaged them but wanted to get your feedback.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Sorry to steel this thread somewhat but its directly related to the Fiamma F45 awning...

I just wondered how much people's awning rattled? I expect a little and its probably a characteristic, but mine really really rattles. If you have the window open and didn't know there was an awning you'd think it was the window and it was about to fall out!! I'm sure it shouldn't rattle that much!

Pretty certain its wound in back correctly, legs secure etc so don't know why its rattling so much.

My conversion was fab and of the highest quality so full confidence it was installed correctly. I've just messaged them but wanted to get your feedback.

Thanks in advance

There's some info in here about rattling Fiamma F45s

There's some info in here about rattling Fiamma F45s

Thanks, funnily enough I did put bits of insulation foam where I thought rattles might occur but no luck. I think I will try proper lengths of foam around the legs and see what happens.

If you tap the awning it rattles so I thought more the casing rattling than the legs but think it will be trial and error.

I have my own thread now I see, thanks for sorting ans sorry for hijacking :)

I’ve just been out tapping my closed up F45s along the length - I have to hit it pretty hard before anything rattles. And, as per threads linked above I have not applied any additional padding within the case.

The only difference I can think of is the filler strip (looks like some sort of dense foam) Hillside have used, between the brackets above the door, to plug the rain gap between awning and van - this may be cushioning the whole case?

A couple of things you may or may not have tried:-

Double check that the legs are getting clipped into the case correctly and with the feet pressed up firmly against the outer edge of the case. When mine are clipped in there is no movement of the feet or legs.

When we shorten the legs we always tighten the thumb screws a bit to hold them to length - this might “accidentally” also be preventing the legs rattling within themselves?

Ensure the red indicator tabs at either end of the closed case are retracted flush with the bottom of the van side of the casing - this will confirm whether the case is fully closed.

Good luck getting it sorted.

I sussed out the rattle when I got mine!
Somewhere on here I posted the solution with pics, but I’ll be bu66ered if I can find it now!

In essence..
Stick a piece of 3/8 “ thick foam inside the case on the lower edge, half way along the stowed leg.
The result is that when you fold the leg away, you lift it over the foam pad and press it down as you click the leg into place.
The foam acts to put upward pressure on the middle of the leg and stop any loosenes.
Now, no rattle.

Hope that helps.

Somewhere on here I posted the solution with pics, but I’ll be bu66ered if I can find it now!

In essence..
Stick a piece of 3/8 “ thick foam inside the case on the lower edge, half way along the stowed leg.
The result is that when you fold the leg away, you lift it over the foam pad and press it down as you click the leg into place.
The foam acts to put upward pressure on the middle of the leg and stop any loosenes.
Now, no rattle.

Hope that helps.
Your pics are in this thread - Which rain guard strip for fiamma 45s

I’ve just been out tapping my closed up F45s along the length - I have to hit it pretty hard before anything rattles. And, as per threads linked above I have not applied any additional padding within the case.

The only difference I can think of is the filler strip (looks like some sort of dense foam) Hillside have used, between the brackets above the door, to plug the rain gap between awning and van - this may be cushioning the whole case?

A couple of things you may or may not have tried:-

Double check that the legs are getting clipped into the case correctly and with the feet pressed up firmly against the outer edge of the case. When mine are clipped in there is no movement of the feet or legs.

When we shorten the legs we always tighten the thumb screws a bit to hold them to length - this might “accidentally” also be preventing the legs rattling within themselves?

Ensure the red indicator tabs at either end of the closed case are retracted flush with the bottom of the van side of the casing - this will confirm whether the case is fully closed.

Good luck getting it sorted.

Davenjo - thanks - pretty much what I have tried but will double check and try again

In essence..
Now, no rattle.

Hope that helps.

Oldrat - fab - I did search but obviously not hard enough. I'll have a go at doing similar to the above, that's a big help.

Thanks all, appreciated as ever.

I took my van back to Andy @ AJC conversions and rattling now stopped - now have a peaceful drive, makes such a difference.

Andy put velcro strips under various parts of the legs and put carpeting material on the internal brackets holding the legs - all now good.

Given its an all metal unit common sense says Fiamma should line the casing - but that's additional requirement and cost - albit minimal cost

Back