Few Newbie Questions

Hey Storm Me too mines a 2016 with 17,500 on and now having to consider getting it replaced with it's Annual service

kinda got to have it done now just for piece of mind... it should be a recall item they sold us dodgy water pump and Tensioners .. thought VW's run forever
I saw something earlier about a recall online, will have to go on the VOSA website and see if mine is one of them.

understand
i have the same dilema. My van is literally 4years old today but only done 18k miles. Do I change now or wait till next year? i may wait till the winter and do it then, split the difference ha ha
I think I will get mine booked in as really don't want to end up with piston/valves issue you're talking about. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. Thank you for clarifying the implications. Happy birthday to your VAN - treat him to a cake!!! Cheers again

As I mentioned above my belt was changed at 4 years and 99000 miles but was mint! The only sign of wear was a slight roughness in one of the idler pulleys.
I think use and mileage play their part but there are far too many variables to know for sure.
Thanks - I Am risk adverse - so best get it booked in as I intend to keep Sharky for a few years.

Thanks All,

@Nigel W @The Bear78 @Ads_Essex @Mud Digger @StormUk . Firstly - many thanks for all your replies. I am definitely going to get mine done.

Just so I am clear - I am going to an independent Garage & I need to be asking them to change the Cambelt AND Water Pump + Ancillaries. Cost c£300 ideally.

Anything ELSE I should be asking them to do or any items they should be changing ?
Are Genuine VW parts essential?

Appreciate all your advice and thoughts. Thanks again, Paul

Thanks All,

@Nigel W @The Bear78 @Ads_Essex @Mud Digger @StormUk . Firstly - many thanks for all your replies. I am definitely going to get mine done.

Just so I am clear - I am going to an independent Garage & I need to be asking them to change the Cambelt AND Water Pump + Ancillaries. Cost c£300 ideally.

Anything ELSE I should be asking them to do or any items they should be changing ?
Are Genuine VW parts essential?

Appreciate all your advice and thoughts. Thanks again, Paul
I think you will lucky to get a price circa £300, I would expect closer to 450. If you have any warranty left then essential you use genuine VW parts (I had the extended warranty for 5 years so had no choice). If you use a good independent then they will be familiar with the rather ‘special’ and expensive water pump fitted to the euro6 VW engines.

- Cambelt. Some were subject to a recall for deterioration.
- Cambelt pulleys and tensioner. Will be in a full kit anyway.
- Water pump. No brainer while its easy.
- Auxiliary belt. Needs to come off for access anyway and cheap by comparison.
- Auxiliary belt tensioner. Also subject to some recall action. If this fails the auxiliary belt can take out the cambelt...

OEM belt can be Contitech I think (Continental?) or Gates of which some were failing inspections and a very small number failed.

Last edited:
I think you will lucky to get a price circa £300, I would expect closer to 450. If you have any warranty left then essential you use genuine VW parts (I had the extended warranty for 5 years so had no choice). If you use a good independent then they will be familiar with the rather ‘special’ and expensive water pump fitted to the euro6 VW engines.
Hi Nigel, I realise now I misintepreted the price on your previous message. Thank you again for spelling it out. I am out of warranty - no extended warranty. Really do appreciate you taking the time to reply. Best Paul.

- Auxiliary belt tensioner. Also subject to some recall action. If this fails the auxiliary belt can take out the cambelt...

OEM belt can be Contitech I think (Continental?) or Gates of which some were failing inspections and a very small number failed.
Many thanks @The Bear78 for taking the time to spell it out what needs to happen. I will use as my checklist when talking to the garage - especially the bit about the "special "Water Pump" and Aux Belt & Aux Belt Tensioner. Cheers again and much appreciated. Paul

understand

I think I will get mine booked in as really don't want to end up with piston/valves issue you're talking about. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. Thank you for clarifying the implications. Happy birthday to your VAN - treat him to a cake!!! Cheers again

i ll get a quote from V W main dealer and let you all know. Hmmmm Cake that's good idea... i'm in the middle of a weekender fit out ...That is my present to the van. getting the belt and pump done is cheap to what the vans cost me this month but very pleased how its coming on and saving a fortune D I Y

i ll get a quote from V W main dealer and let you all know. Hmmmm Cake that's good idea... i'm in the middle of a weekender fit out ...That is my present to the van. getting the belt and pump done is cheap to what the vans cost me this month but very pleased how its coming on and saving a fortune D I Y
Just got mine booked in:
Sharky is going in for his new Cam Belt, Water Pump, Auxiliary Belt & all tensioners etc., next week. Full kit All fitted for £349 at Hollis Autotech, Frognall, nr Market Deeping. PETERBOROUGH.
They have been looking after Sharky since day 1 and Neal the owner has a T4 ... great service and great prices. (If not allowed - apologies).

All booked in for £349 for the full kit as per your list above...new posted added below. Thank you again

All booked in for £349 for the full kit as per your list above...new posted added below. Thank you again

Great deal from them well done a small price for peace of mind i 'll ring VW monday see what they say my nearest main dealer is Croydon plus i need an MOT

I've checked VOSA and I have no recall
VOSA only deal with safety re-calls. You might think that having your engine lock up in the outside lane is a safety issue but that’s not the case.
My daughters Vauxhall has a recurring and sudden loss of power steering which Is a common fault. There is no official recall as it ‘can’ be steered without power steering.
Being an important employer the UK motor industry probably has the government of the day In it’s pocket.

If that is SMG Croydon @Mud Digger, I was quoted £630 +VAT at SMG Tonbridge recently.
hi Noddy yes it will be SMG i dont know of a VW van centre else where i want peice of mind getting this done and now back to Mr angry @ 17000 miles for some Lub and seal conditioner in the coolant

Last edited:
I am in the same situation @Mud Digger. I wasn’t impressed with SMG’s customer service and general attitude when the van had its service and first MOT in March. Won’t be going back now it is out of warranty, but don’t know of a recommended independent garage locally.

After a read through the threads on here, I saw @widu13 used Vantech VW at Uckfield, and was pleased with them (VW trained mechanics), so will be going there for the cam belt change, etc when it is due next March.

Probably too far for you...

Are you still in warranty? If not, No doubt someone on here will be able to recommend an indie around your way.

Back