C&H Campers / C&H Pop Tops of Huddersfield

Apologies and THANK YOU DO MUCH

Really appreciate the time you have taken to provide a comprehensive report on their workmanship and the quality. It makes me feel a whole lot better ... as we all love our Veedubs and when you handover for such a big peace of work it is scary!!!
Thanks once again @rydinator and apologies for not replying sooner. Good luck and welcome. PAUL.

@Bluey no problem at all. Like i say, i was in the exact same boat as you prior to getting it fitted, as i couldn't find any reviews that fully warranted them as a company or their product, so in the end i just bit the bullet and went for it and i am glad i did.

Since having mine fitted, i have seen several others that i follow on Instagram, also have them fitted. If you have Instagram, it would be worth checking out their page (chcamperconversions), as they have recently fitted 12 in a week, which goes to show how good they are and not one photo on their page has anything negative to say about them, they get a lot of repeat customers also, which i am going to be one of, for a van i am currently converting.

On a side note, being a first time poster, it might look suspicious that i am associated with them, but i can assure you that im not. Just giving a company an honest review that they deserve.

I already checked and would agree with this

Thanks @Pauly

Sorry for the first post not being one introducing myself, although, i think from my first sentence, i more or less did... I dont own a T6, but enjoy reading the build threads as it gives me a lot of inspiration for mine.

All in all, i wish you all the best with getting your pop top fitted @Bluey. If you'd like to know anything else, please let me know, as i mopes about on here most days now :p

A quick search on FaceBook, not very good workmanship and took a year to get money back. Have a look on the Self Build Campervan group

7088DBA6-F692-4A66-A6DB-40A136E8DB9C.png

Someone I know sent me that earlier and it's a rather new post.

All I can say, is that Im standing by what I said. There's always going to be 1 bad review amongst the hundreds of good ones and people only seem to listen to that one bad review....

@Bluey no problem at all. Like i say, i was in the exact same boat as you prior to getting it fitted, as i couldn't find any reviews that fully warranted them as a company or their product, so in the end i just bit the bullet and went for it and i am glad i did.

Since having mine fitted, i have seen several others that i follow on Instagram, also have them fitted. If you have Instagram, it would be worth checking out their page (chcamperconversions), as they have recently fitted 12 in a week, which goes to show how good they are and not one photo on their page has anything negative to say about them, they get a lot of repeat customers also, which i am going to be one of, for a van i am currently converting.

On a side note, being a first time poster, it might look suspicious that i am associated with them, but i can assure you that im not. Just giving a company an honest review that they deserve.
Thanks again for all the info and the reference sources. Enjoy the sunshine. Paul

A quick search on FaceBook, not very good workmanship and took a year to get money back. Have a look on the Self Build Campervan group

View attachment 46596
Thank you - always good to get some balance .... as we all have experienced sometimes things do not work out. I am having a look at a van fitted by them tomorrow - so seeing it in real life will help. I REALLY do appreciate all the feedback - thanks again @Alan Watts - great profile photo btw - very suave! Cheers Paul

I know I may be too late with my post but I bought a Campervan complete with poptop from C&H campers six months ago . It’s fair to say my experience was “mixed” overall the workmanship is good but there we have some issues : the bed is very difficult to put up and down. It can be done with practice but it’s certainly not smooth . It doesn’t just pull out you have to lift the sections to get it to move . The roof bed is ridiculously short. I’m 5’6” my wife is smaller. We are right at the end of the bed which doesn’t seem to come that far forward over the cab. The supplied mattress is woefully inadequate so you need to buy another. The result of a thicker mattress and a short bed is it’s very claustrophobic. Also it’s not really wide enough for two . Despite C&H promising to liaise with DVLA re change of designation the document just came as a classified panel van with three seatbelts. I attempted it and at least got a letter saying why it couldn’t be designated as a motor home . We also had an issue with no service history available when it is their claim all vehicles have full service history. This couldn’t be rectified. On the plus side they did service the van ( when I pointed out it needed it as soon as we took collection ) and a new clutch flywheel and timing belt were all fitted . Some of this was our inexperience and I think it was good value overall but so just be aware .

I know I may be too late with my post but I bought a Campervan complete with poptop from C&H campers six months ago . It’s fair to say my experience was “mixed” overall the workmanship is good but there we have some issues : the bed is very difficult to put up and down. It can be done with practice but it’s certainly not smooth . It doesn’t just pull out you have to lift the sections to get it to move . The roof bed is ridiculously short. I’m 5’6” my wife is smaller. We are right at the end of the bed which doesn’t seem to come that far forward over the cab. The supplied mattress is woefully inadequate so you need to buy another. The result of a thicker mattress and a short bed is it’s very claustrophobic. Also it’s not really wide enough for two . Despite C&H promising to liaise with DVLA re change of designation the document just came as a classified panel van with three seatbelts. I attempted it and at least got a letter saying why it couldn’t be designated as a motor home . We also had an issue with no service history available when is their claim all vehicles have full service history. This couldn’t be rectified. On the plus side they did service the van ( when I pointed out it needed it as soon as we took collection ) and a new clutch flywheel and timing belt were all fitted . Some of this was our inexperience and I think it was good value overall but so just be aware .

@Timmy G - Never too late to share all experiences on here - WE ALL appreciate it as it gives everyone a balanced view .... thanks for pointing out the shortcomings and I hope you are not letting them get in the way of you enjoying the campervan life!!! Anything you liked about the fitout? And please keep sharing the Pos and Neg on anything you do! Cheers Paul

I have seen a few bad reviews on them recently, i can only go by my experience i had with them and i have used my pop top to death and nothing has broken etc through use, i have only upgraded or improved parts on it.

On the other hand, I have used other companies in the past and have only bad things to say about them, whereas others praise the ground they walk on. Im not one to go round bad mouthing a company when they are rubbish, its not in me to do so, hence, my good review on this company and all the other good reviews i have given companies.

@Timmy G - Never too late to share all experiences on here - WE ALL appreciate it as it gives everyone a balanced view .... thanks for pointing out the shortcomings and I hope you are not letting them get in the way of you enjoying the campervan life!!! Anything you liked about the fitout? And please keep sharing the Pos and Neg on anything you do! Cheers Paul
Being a tad late seems to be a habit of mine. Just to say that I am going to contact C&H re a problem that has developed with the bed. You will see from my other entry that I said the bed was not easy to put up and down but now getting back to its upright position and securing it is a real problem. It seems to have moved laterally so needs some attention. It’s still under warranty so I hope they will fix it without any issues. I will keep journal posted positive or negative.

Thanks @Pauly

Sorry for the first post not being one introducing myself, although, i think from my first sentence, i more or less did... I dont own a T6, but enjoy reading the build threads as it gives me a lot of inspiration for mine.

All in all, i wish you all the best with getting your pop top fitted @Bluey. If you'd like to know anything else, please let me know, as i mopes about on here most days now :p
I’m not a T6 owner either but Constantly look at this forum so joined up and now there’s a new thread on here made for people just like us! Show Us Your T5.1 Then. ;)

Thanks for writing this review, I’m in the exact same situation navigating the pop-top waters and C&H were on my hit list after seeing them in one of the mags.

After a lot of research I’m personally a big fan of Austops roofs and the best quote I’ve had so far has been from The Dub Hut at £3,300. I haven’t quite got that available so this positive experience from C&H has lifted my spirits as they’re more on budget for me.

Let us know how you get on and what you decide to do @Bluey. Nice one.

I’m not a T6 owner either but Constantly look at this forum so joined up and now there’s a new thread on here made for people just like us! Show Us Your T5.1 Then. ;)

Thanks for writing this review, I’m in the exact same situation navigating the pop-top waters and C&H were on my hit list after seeing them in one of the mags.

After a lot of research I’m personally a big fan of Austops roofs and the best quote I’ve had so far has been from The Dub Hut at £3,300. I haven’t quite got that available so this positive experience from C&H has lifted my spirits as they’re more on budget for me.

Let us know how you get on and what you decide to do @Bluey. Nice one.
@ricbell4416 I have just paid the deposit on having another c and h pop top fitted on my new t5.1 only this morning and getting it fitted next week.

I can only go by my positive experience of them and In the year I had it fitted, I had absolutely no problems with it what so ever, it just works.

I hope this will give you abit of confidence in making your mind up, as previously stated, I was abit hesitant when I first enquired about it after reading some negative reviews, but then again, you will get that with most products.

Let me know if youd like to know anything else

I had my T6 T32 fitted at the end of August and the POPTOP is briiliant .... The only issue was with the wind deflector vibrated when travelling at high speed.... C&H tried to fix and Jules at C&H always replied to emails etc. Managed to resolve the wind noise by using Insulation tape to close the gap - all noise now gone!!! If anyone wants to know more just ask. cheers and staysafe!

I had my T6 T32 fitted at the end of August and the POPTOP is briiliant .... The only issue was with the wind deflector vibrated when travelling at high speed.... C&H tried to fix and Jules at C&H always replied to emails etc. Managed to resolve the wind noise by using Insulation tape to close the gap - all noise now gone!!! If anyone wants to know more just ask. cheers and staysafe!
What was the total price and full specification on yours? Did you go scenic canvas etc? How's the trimming in the roof? I'm so OCD and if that wasn't perfect it would kill me.

Standard black, side air vents with cover. Clear window at front. So you get a mesh window on the sides with covers and a clear window at front. NO full opening.

I do think you need to be realistic on finish.... I know people on here who have spent £5k plus on their pop top and were NOT happy..... I am afraid there are no guarantees.

if you are OCD then I would not go here .... if you are realistic and only want to spend £2.5k including 6 LED's then C&H are great. Personally I am very happy with my POPTOP.

My advice is you need to visit and see them working if you are a perfectionist and don't pay in full until you have the finished poptop.

I have tried to keep this review as factual as possible, so that it gives a fair reflection for others to make their own decision.
I booked the van in for a pop top, new side and rear windows and a rock and roll bed in mid May, for the works to be completed late July.

We live 200+ miles away from CandH so we booked a hotel for a couple of nights.
The day before the works were booked in, about an hour before we were due to set off I received a phone call from CandH explaining that there was a 3 week delay on the R&R bed due to the upholstery suppliers, this was due to Covid and the impact it had had.
We chose to get the roof and windows done and get the bed in 3 weeks as we were planning a trip in the new van to Yorkshire anyways.

On the day all went well, slight delay but nothing major. Went back to the hotel and told to drive slowly to allow glue to dry over night.

Next day set off back home. About 10 miles into the journey the front wind deflector at the front of the van. Known as a pod flew off down the motorway.
Obviously we pulled over and called CandH who told us to come back and they would fit another one.
They got straight onto fitting another when we arrived, although none one apologised, but one member of staff did say that it had happened a few times before as the glue takes at least 4 hours to dry. We explained it had had about 15 hours. Just to note, the glue blobs weren't dry and 2 screws at either corner had pulled out.

We then had to drive home over 200 miles at no more than 50 mph. With gaffa tape holding it down. Which obviously took a while.
I have since bought a rubber wind deflector that sits just infront of the pod and we haven't had any problems since.

A week before we were due to collect the R&R bed I called to make sure everything was in order. I was told that there was nothing in the diary booked in, but after checking with the upholsters the original date should be fine.

We arrived about 3pm to get the bed. It still had to be collected from the upholsters. We went for a walk and after about an hour and a half we were ready to go. The bed upholstery colour was a different shade of blue then ordered and I had requested that the Ford logo not to be stitch in the headrest, Unfortunitly it had.

We were due to spend 2 weeks in the van. The weather wasn't great, very wet. We noticed after the 2nd night that the mdf board at the rear of the van had started to sagg. We started to poke around, and found the carpet underneath was soaked. I then started looking harder and pulled up the carpet around the rear join where the canvas meets the roof to find several gaps, with clear day light. The biggest gap had water literally running through.
Also whilst up there I noticed that the elevating bed has only got 3 screws out of a total 6. 1 in one side, 2 in the other.

Obviously this can be fixed, but difficult to do so when camping and miles from home. Now the van also has musty wet smell as the carpet is so wet.

Like I said, this is factual, no opinion. So hopefully this reflects a fair and balanced review.

Back