Fault code 15560 p046c00

amv

Hello everyone, I have this engine failure, I have taken it to the mechanic and he says that I have to change the EGR. The car works perfectly for me.

The errors are:
15560 p046c00 ( sensor A failure).

Thanks!!!

IMG_20230403_141400.jpg

15560 p046c00 ( sensor A failure).
From where the "sensor A failure" interpretation comes - it's not on the screenshot. I believe the interpretation is not correct.

According to VW TSB/TPI fault code P046C alone and no emission light on dash means no repair needed.

Please untick the "Use Aggressive Mode" - does the fault disappear?

From where the "sensor A failure" interpretation comes - it's not on the screenshot. I believe the interpretation is not correct.

According to VW TSB/TPI fault code P046C alone and no emission light on dash means no repair needed.

Hi, thank you for you answer. Sensor A was specified to me by the car scanner obd bluetooth. He copied it exactly now.

Car Scanner ELM OBD2
Version: 1.98.0/400980/GP
DTC report
Connection profile: Volkswagen OBD-II / EOBDDate: 09/04/2023 14:23:42
VIN: WV2ZZZ7HZH...........

===============
01. Unidad de control del motor01. Unidad de control del motor
DTCs: 1
----------------------------
15560 [0x003CC8]
P046C00: EGR Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance
Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor "A" Circuit, Range/Performance
P046C00: EGR Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance
Estatus: Temporal, Confirmada, Prueba fallada desde el momento del último reseteo de fallas, Prueba no finalizada en el ciclo de conducción corriente

In the instrument panel I do not get the engine drawing failure, only in the obd. Do you think I should ignore the error? In the workshop they told me that I still had to change the EGR

Thanks!

Do you think I should ignore the error?
That's what VW tells - ignore (when no other fault codes are present).
Also fault has been recorded only once (VCDS log frequency=1) at 77013 km of odometer reading.

I would ignore the fault P046C for now.

That's what VW tells - ignore (when no other fault codes are present).
Also fault has been recorded only once (VCDS log frequency=1) at 77013 km of odometer reading.

I would ignore the fault P046C for now

I'll do that thanks. One more question, where can you see that this bug should be ignored in an official pit? thanks

Any VW garage should be able to find the document.

Anyways, all factory originated documents can be found in
However, it's sometimes challenging to find the information as there are a lot of documents.
Ok. Thanks a lot.
I have been doing tests and it is an error that does not come out while driving or idling, only when completely stopped for a while, either removing the ignition key or star stop for about a minute.

Could it be a software glitch? Or certainly a bad egr sensor. If I changed the EGR would it fix it?
I'm going to take it to a workshop that can see if the valve openings and everything is fine or they see a defective point, I wouldn't like to go on a trip and be damaged.

Do you think it's a good idea? Or is it nonsense?

I have been doing tests and it is an error that does not come out while driving or idling, only when completely stopped for a while, either removing the ignition key or star stop for about a minute.
That's exactly my impression, too. In all the six incidents I have captured, indeed it happen when engine is stopped after a drive. When engine is at 0 RPM, it seems to do a couple of EGR valve full range (negative minimum through zero to positive maximum) runs six times and a couple of shorter sweeps. I guess it's meant to clear the valves travel path.

The engine has a built-in test to verify EGR valve movement - described here:

In the captured freeze frame at the faults there seems to be a deviation between the actual and commanded value - perhaps there indeed has been a stuck then. However, the fault hasn't happened in three months now (since the burst of six mentioned before).

I have been doing tests
How many times you have recorded the fault?
Or certainly a bad egr sensor. I
I think it's just opposite - a perfectly fine working sensor (for EGR valve position) - please see the test mentioned above.
If I changed the EGR would it fix it?
Yes, I believe so.

To get better understanding of overall condition of the EGR systems you could run also this test:

That's exactly my impression, too. In all the six incidents I have captured, indeed it happen when engine is stopped after a drive. When engine is at 0 RPM, it seems to do a couple of EGR valve full range (negative minimum through zero to positive maximum) runs six times and a couple of shorter sweeps. I guess it's meant to clear the valves travel path.

The engine has a built-in test to verify EGR valve movement - described here:

In the captured freeze frame at the faults there seems to be a deviation between the actual and commanded value - perhaps there indeed has been a stuck then. However, the fault hasn't happened in three months now (since the burst of six mentioned before).

How many times you have recorded the fault?

I think it's just opposite - a perfectly fine working sensor (for EGR valve position) - please see the test mentioned above.

Yes, I believe so.

To get better understanding of overall condition of the EGR systems you could run also this test:
Hi again, and thanks for the info.
The error occurs every time I stop the engine. There is no exception, except that it stops and starts in a very short time, if more than a minute or less passes, The error returns.
I bought a liquid from the liqui Moly brand, which is used to clean the EGR ducts and diesel carbon.
It is the last option that I have left, perhaps I will clean it and the problem will be corrected, although I doubt it.

What I don't understand is why VW says that if this error comes, you just have to ignore it. Isn't it important to be sure that the valve closes correctly? Thank you

The error occurs every time I stop the engine.
Ahh, I see. Very different than my case.
What I don't understand is why VW says that if this error comes, you just have to ignore it.
Well, certainly their response to ignore was related to my case - to justify EGR replacement.
Certainly had had only few incidents compared with yours.

In the instrument panel I do not get the engine drawing failure, only in the obd.
Well, obviously the fault doesn't cause emission failure as it happens only engine off.

However, clearing the fault causes engine to restart various adaptation processes to build up "Emission readiness" status. It can take up to 400-500 kms before all required conditions are passed successfully. In Car Scanner it's under "Emission tests". Also before a fault manifests itself as warning light, engine's internal tests must fail several times - thus clearing a fault also clears any accumulated internal fault history.

Isn't it important to be sure that the valve closes correctly?
It looks like engine doesn't see the conditions serious enough - otherwise it would turn on flashing coil light (glow plug light flashing).

Just curious - what's the status of your fault - mine has been archived?

View attachment 198224
Hello. Mine is still on intermittently active but says a full drive cycle is yet to be done. I am no longer going to delete the error anymore to see what happens when I have more than 1000 kms. I'll let you know if I find out anything. Thank you so much.

Reactions: mmi
@mmi Hello, a question, how long does it take to archive the error from when it occurred?
Thanks
I guess - it depends on many unknown to me factors...

What I have observed - seems to be typically in range of 300 to 600 km. But also seen much longer times (almost 2000 km), as well as shorter (less than 100km). Possibly the "timer" includes ignition cycles, etc.

Unfortunately Car Scanner doesn't show fault frequency counter which would tell exactly when there has been a "renewal" of the fault. Well, the counter actually is in the shown freeze frame data... somewhere in there.

Hello again. Today for the first time it has thrown me more egr errors After they have been inactive but failed.

I think I'm going to have to replace the EGR. It seems to be getting worse.
I guess - it depends on many unknown to me factors...

What I have observed - seems to be typically in range of 300 to 600 km. But also seen much longer times (almost 2000 km), as well as shorter (less than 100km). Possibly the "timer" includes ignition cycles, etc.

Unfortunately Car Scanner doesn't show fault frequency counter which would tell exactly when there has been a "renewal" of the fault. Well, the counter actually is in the shown freeze frame data... somewhere in there.

Screenshot_2023-05-16-10-34-16-12_1c4cade50911c4021d022fd7fc21ca47.jpg

Screenshot_2023-05-16-06-13-06-24_1c4cade50911c4021d022fd7fc21ca47.jpg

sorry to jump on this conversation
I have a similar issue with my 67 plate T6 4 motion 204 dsg 115k
I have had the management light coming up for a bit with a error on the voltage regulator ,i have just put a new battery on the van as it was getting sluggish and coded it in.
I have also had this EGR 15560 sensor 1 and 23871 error coming up on the van when driving,I am able co clear the error but still comes back up now and again.
I have put the photos of the scan on ,any ideas folks ?

Thanks
John

VCDS1.jpg

VCDS2.jpg

VCDS3.jpg

VCDS4.jpg

VCDS5.jpg

VCDS6.jpg

I have put the photos of the scan on
Would be helpful if you could do VCDS Auto-Scan (use Auto-detect), save it to file, then attach the file in your post.

Anyways, 02256 - Quiescent Current. Indicates that there are extra electric consumers connected which draw (too much) current when the van is locked - e.g. USB chargers, etc.
Could also use VCDS to run quiescent current test.

23871 - aka P0401 - EGR System Insufficient flow.
Please run engine's EGR flow test.

15560 - aka P046C - EGR Sensor 1
Please run engine's EGR Valve Self Test

Thanks for the reply
I will do the scan and post the results hopefully over the weekend .

Thanks
John

Back