Factory second battery - what runs off it?

DrRTDazzler

Carerpillar inspector
VIP Member
I have a factory fitted second battery in my Kombi. I what of the electrics are connected to it when ignition is off? Is the cigarette lighter? Dash USB?
I did search the forum but couldn’t find answers. Cheers.

Isn't it just for the aux heater. Have the same fitted to mine but my van has been converted so a number of 12v items are collected to it.

I have a multivan , caravelle in UK with the factory fit leisure battery. I looked in owners manual but must be blind as can't see what runs off the leisure battery apart from the parking heater.

I had a search here without much success.

I would assume the various lighter sockets?? I have 6 in total.

What about the interior lighting ?

I've been wondering about the same thing. I have seen a mention somewhere of only critical systems (starter, engine management +++???) running off the main battery and everything else of the auxiliary, but I can't find it again and would like to know for sure.

I would assume the various lighter sockets?? I have 6 in total.
Yes.
What about the interior lighting ?
No.

As @rover220 above the towbar (partially, electric power to the trailer). More in Owner's manual --> https://www.t6forum.com/threads/13-pin-towing-socket.5764/post-126720

I'm afraid the exhaustive answer is in the wiring diagrams - e.g. here
  • Start from e.g. chapter "83 - second battery", then search for the actual consumers using given fuse designations (e.g. SH1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11, 13, 15, 28, 29, 31) - depending on what was factory ordered.
  • The search will pop up among others e.g. chapter "85 - 12 V sockets, with second battery , (8FB)". Also the fuse charts will be useful - chapter 802
  • Also observe the remarks as there has been at least one production change (e.g. from Nov 2017 onwards parking heater was powered from starter battery).
Enjoy ;)

EDIT: >How-to-read-wiring-diagrams ⌦ here<

Hi, can anybody help me? Does a T6 2019 Caravelle an auxiliary battery, thanks
Hi, it is an optional extra, there is no way of telling by the model alone. Is this on a vehicle you already own? If so you could look under the front passenger seat, which is where they are fitted by VW.

Hi, it is an optional extra, there is no way of telling by the model alone. Is this on a vehicle you already own? If so you could look under the front passenger seat, which is where they are fitted by VW.
Thanks, do you know if they put them under the Drivers seat, I have a 12v supply here that is live all the time

I am very happy to confirm that the leisure battery does indeed power all the cig sockets, and aux parking heater. I used a victron charger/power supply connected to leisure battery and in 15 hours it supplied 10.5 amps. Sadly I only see the total figure and not the current draw graph.

I am very happy to confirm that the leisure battery does indeed power all the cig sockets, and aux parking heater.
The dash cig socket is usually powered from the starter battery, makes it easy to plug a trickle-charger between the sockets :thumbsup:
I used a victron charger/power supply connected to leisure battery and in 15 hours it supplied 10.5 amps. Sadly I only see the total figure and not the current draw graph.
Watch your units, do you mean the charger peaked at 10.5A ? or did you mean it supplied 10.5Ah over the 15 hour period? "Total" suggests Ah but a graph is normally time against current... (A) ;)

Correct , I was being lazy and not bothered about the units , it was Ah.

I plugged the fridge into the dash socket and saw the Ah ;) increasing

Back