Factory panels or new ply

Pejer13

Hi Guys,

I just received my new VW T6.1. It is my first transporter and I already love it!
The goal is to sound deaden and isolate the rear, then carpet the sides and ceiling.
The van came with 12mm plywood with some holes in it to secure cargo.
This is not ideal to carpet.
So my plan is to buy some 3,6mm plywood and fit it on top of the existing 12mm panels and then apply carpet to each panel seperately.
Is this the best option?
Do you guys have any advice?
Extra question: Do you need to remove the rubber sealings (tailgate and sliding door) in order to carpet the metalwork? They are pretty tight and I don't know if I can get them back on again.

Thanks!

IMG_0070.jpegIMG_0071.jpegIMG_0072.jpeg

Why not just use the fitted boards as templates and either use the 3 or 6mm ply instead. Saves you carrying some additional weight
I thought it would be handy when i want to screw something on the sides. I wanted to fit my wheel carriers for my mountainbike there. So a little bit of strenght is needed.

Hi guys I’m putting this off as I don’t know weather to buy new ply line kit then carpet or too just carpet factory panels just some help to know what you guys have done

Although it doesn’t seem to be the done thing I carpeted the factory panels and had no problem’s at all.

I think people just ply line as more rigid and easier to work on, factory panels should be fine as above.

I bought 3mm ply and made my own panels using the factory hardboard ones as a template. Reason being that I wanted to be able to screw into them and the original hardboard didn’t seem up to the task.
It’s cheap and easy if you have a pencil and a jigsaw.

Yeah I’m a lvt fitter so doing the ply templating at the min I’m flat out and have other jobs doing.. think Iv made my mind up from what you guys have done I’ll just get a kit..

Back