Factory LED lights and LED DRL grilles

RSMarco

Hi,
I have the factory LED headlights and would like to fit the DRL grilles as I like the look. However, on searching this forum I read that the grill DRL won't work with factory LED lights for some reason?

The posts I have read on this forum have touched on this but I can't find anything that say's it can be done or not?

Does anyone know if you can install these DRL grills to work with factory LED and if so, how do you do it?

Vehicle is a 2019 California.

Much appreciated,
Mark.

I have the aftermarket gloss black grills with DRLs from vanstyle. These only pick up an ignition feed from the lights so I can’t see why they wouldn’t work with LEDs.

Are the different genuine other grills with the drls in or at least designed to take drls?

I have the aftermarket gloss black grills with DRLs from vanstyle. These only pick up an ignition feed from the lights so I can’t see why they wouldn’t work with LEDs.

Are the different genuine other grills with the drls in or at least designed to take drls?

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I should of detailed which grills I have. I purchased the gloss black lower grills with DRL from Travelinlite which say they are plug and play. I read something on this forum saying that a similar kit didn't work with the factory LED lights but the post didn't expand on this.

Not sure if it's something to do with the module the DRL comes with and the way the LED lights work..?

Just wanted to ask the question before I attempt anything.

Can I ask what the best way is to tap into the loom as the kit comes with a Posi Tap connector. Not sure how good these are?

Much appreciated.

Ah, I think those are different (better I believe). I think (and I may be wrong) they fade when the lights come on which the vanstyle ones don’t so maybe it’s that control module that incompatible

The official literature from VW states the optional bumper DRL kit is not compatible with vehicles equipped with factory LED headlights.

I cannot fathom why they state this and know dozens of people here have fitted them without issue, i have done two sets (without using the extra relay) and worked fine with no errors

The official literature from VW states the optional bumper DRL kit is not compatible with vehicles equipped with factory LED headlights.

I cannot fathom why they state this and know dozens of people here have fitted them without issue, i have done two sets (without using the extra relay) and worked fine with no errors

Hi, @Pauly
Thanks for the information. May I ask if you would explain how you fitted them please?
I have tried to speak with Travelinlite and they say I need a different module but I don't see how this would work as it's for a T5 to T5.1 upgrade?

Much appreciated

I have only seen genuine kit not the TL one so can’t comment on the module

Can I ask what the best way is to tap into the loom as the kit comes with a Posi Tap connector. Not sure how good these are?

Much appreciated.
I ended up tooling up to replace the pin in the nearest connector (junior power connector type pins and crimper). Looked at various options and decided that was the best way to go. PosiTaps are good for the interior but not sure of using them in the engine bay. I still have a bit of an issue making the 2 wires going to the pin water tight though.

I considered the TL kit but I only wanted the outer grill pieces and they didn’t sell only these so went with the Vanstyle. I’m regretting this now though as the fit isn’t great.

I am sure you have it but Here is the instruction they sent me for installation.

Attachments

• T6 DRL 2015.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 75
Hello everyone, i will be doing the factory Led headlight upgrade in the next couple of weeks. I would also like to fit Drl's in the lower grilles. I read a thread on here from a while ago which said that the genuine vw Drl's are not compatible with the vw Led headlights without some rather complicated sounding wiring involved,did that end up being the case @Pauly ? And if so,is it also the case with the aftermarket kits from the likes of Travelinlite etc? Can i have both sets of lights and if so,what is involved? Thanks in advance for any advice

@VanDamMan has Factory LED’s with Separate DRL’s. Not sure how they’re connected.

Don’t know why VW say they are not compatible, I have connected up a couple sets to LED headlights without the optional relay and all work fine

I'd guess DRL dimming in OEM LED headlights is done by PWM which might be challenging on some LED modules?

All worked as intended as far as I can remember ? ( it was a couple years ago)

I'd guess DRL dimming in OEM LED headlights is done by PWM which might be challenging on some LED modules?
Just to clarify OEM LED DRLs are constantly supplied with clean 12V DC and for dimming (when they switch to "sides mode") the sides voltage is switched from clean 12V DC to PWMed 5V DC.

Reactions: mmi
Back