Factory fitted alarm question

Rob 79

T6 Pro
Hey Guys and Gals,

Picking up my 2016 T6 Highline on Wednesday which has been converted.
Just going through the process of getting insurance (caravan guard) and they have said that I need a Thatcham Cat 1 alarm to be insured .

My question is, does anyone know if these are standard on the highline? The converters have said that it has a standard factory alarm and immobiliser.
Rang VW and they didn't seem to know either!!! How can you find this out?

Thanks in advance,

Rob
PS on the pics why do some people blank out their number plate and others don't. Is it a problem if people know????

——————————————
Answer

Last edited by a moderator:
If its a Highline then it will have come with a factory fit Thatcham Cat 1 Alarm/Immobiliser as standard.

PS on the pics why do some people blank out their number plate and others don't. Is it a problem if people know????
Re number plates - personal choice to show/not to show in pictures. Some feel it's a security risk; personally so long as its a pretty distinctive plate and there are plenty of other identifiable marks (e.g. full conversion, type of roof, etc.) then the additional risk of cloning, etc., against someone just seeing your vehicle on your drive or driving about should be small (speaking as someone who has had a car cloned a few years back - loved that Vectra GSi but couldn't wait to get rid after it had been cloned even though it was the Police that advised I'd been cloned and everything would be OK).

Last edited:
If its a Highline then it will have come with a factory fit Thatcham Cat 1 Alarm/Immobiliser as standard.

Re number plates - personal choice to show/not to show in pictures. Some feel it's a security risk; personally so long as its a pretty distinctive plate and there are plenty of other identifiable marks (e.g. full conversion, type of roof, etc.) then the additional risk of cloning, etc., against someone just seeing your vehicle on your drive or driving about should be small (speaking as someone who has had a car cloned a few years back - loved that Vectra GSi but couldn't wait to get rid after it had been cloned even though it was the Police that advised I'd been cloned and everything would be OK).

Seriously, you reckon it will already have a Thatcham Cat 1 alarm?!?!? thats fantastic and will save me £300-400!! Do you know how I would go about proving this though?
With regards to the cloning.......I had no idea:eek:
Thanks again!

I’d be surprised if it has a thatcham alarm of any sort, I just bought a new highline and there’s no mention of one

I stand corrected though if I’m incorrect

I double checked because I told my insurance I had one and this thread got me worried!

Definitely Thatcham Cat 1 on 2016 Highline models as well as the 2018 brochure linked above - I have a similar declaration on my insurance hence checking out when I ordered.

No problem with my insurers, they immediately accepted that a Highline had a Thatcham 1 alarm.

Rod

You can also look the vehicle up on the Thatcham site

Sorting out my insurance just now. Trying to confirm if my SE spec Shuttle has a Thatcham cat 1 alarm/immobilser fitted. Local VW commercial centre have been as much use as a fart in a space suit. Brochure for the Shuttle (thanks for posting it @Pauly ) only states window van has a cat 2 system. Nothing mentioned for the Shuttle though. However my van has a motion sensors on the roof and the button on the drivers B pillar to deactivate them. (Last thing on the roof in the photo I've uploaded.) Can someone tell me if these look like the same sensors as the cat 1 system on the highline spec. Tried Travelvolts link but its a bit vague for a Shuttle. Thanks

20171117_160446.jpg

This is a useful post as Adrian Flux advised me I needed to fit a CAT1. The underwriter confirmed the need as the conversion was now complete and the vehicle value had increased. 'Twas nice to put them straight and not put my hand in my pocket again :)

Just a quick screen shot from Travelvolts file upload and as you can see the transporter shuttle has a cat1 alarm fitted as standard from Jan 04 , really great file from Travelvolts to keep handy for insurance companies .thanks for that :thumbsup:

Screenshot_20181019-202920.jpg

Just renewing insurance and a condition is a thatcham cat 1 alarm. I can’t see any sensors anywhere and I don’t seem to have a switch to disable them.
Any ideas?

Further to the original post it would appear that if it is a highline it should have a cat 1 as standard. So how do I tell it’s a highline rather than a start line with options?
Would a VWV dealer be able to tell from the registration number

Mines a highline and it has a multifunction steering wheel and heated front windscreen. Also Cat 1 alarm

Check the van description on the V5, should say h/line or similar

Back