Extending T6 OEM Reversing Camera onto a Bike Rack/Towbar Box/Trailer

Very interesting idea!
I actually do need something like this so will start my thinking :cool:.
Definitely possible with OEM T6 lowline camera via 13 pin socket.
Highline camera would be much more challenging thou.
By the way, I did it with my Highline setup :whistle: :)

Project completed successfully :D
I am extremely happy with the final result.
It simply works like a charm.
I will post another show off video hopefully tomorrow :whistle:
I am struggling for a space on a long journeys so every [cm³] of storage space outside the cab is more than welcome.

Roof box was not enough so I had to add tow bar box but it blocks the view from my Reversing Camera.
20240114_100739.jpg

Tailgate camera looks like this.
20240110_202643.jpg
Screenshot_20240114_094119_YouTube.jpg

Once I implemented my solution (described in my previous post) I am getting the video from the tow bar box camera automatically (when reversing gear is engaged ):D.
20240110_202827.jpg
Screenshot_20240114_094102_YouTube.jpg

It is worth to mention that Dynamic Guidelines on the HIGH RVC setup are being deactivated automatically once anything is plugged into the trailer socket.

Full demo video below.

Very nice mod!

I especially like you can switch between the cams, eg with bike rack might allow you to check bikes are still properly secured.

A great project and outcome. A question: where did you you mount/position the relay? Within the tailgate, close to the tailgate camera or elsewhere?

Thanks for the quick reply. That helps heaps. So, sounds like a similar location as the connection for the OEM trailer connection (yes, confirmed by your pic). I have a fully lined campervan, but I have made a hinged latch to get access to the trailer connection when I fitted the OEM VW trailer. I have OEM lowline camera in the tailgate, so will investigate best location for the relay as a compromise for each camera. Your outcome is what I would like to achieve, so am now hunting around for a 2nd OEM camera. Thanks.

If anyone fancies this, but doesn't want to go down the DIY route, I'm aware that Exploria have been offering this upgrade for a number of years now.

If anyone fancies this, but doesn't want to go down the DIY route, I'm aware that Exploria have been offering this upgrade for a number of years now.
Can you share a link to their website?
Maybe demo video or photos?

Back