1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

extended warranty anyone?

Discussion in 'Vehicle Faults Warranty Repairs Issues & Problems' started by mopardave, 30 Aug 2016.

1. Polzeylad

Polzeylad California 204 4motion VIP Member T6 Legend

We sold ours at over three years old with 22.75k miles on it!

2. Polzeylad

PolzeyLASS? How very dare you... ;)

Our other one did some daily duties like bike lugging. This one is purely for campering.

VanBlanc likes this.
  3. Davenjo

Davenjo Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

I'm buying my van via a convertor so I have no relationship with any VW dealers and/or agents, i.e. I told the convertor which van I wanted, which extras, etc., and left the rest to them (whatever discounts they get is built into the end product price I'm paying for the camper).

Do extended warranties and service packages have to be purchased via the dealer who supplied the van or can I go to any VW dealer once I get it?

4. Davenjo

Davenjo Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

@VanBlanc Thanks. I asked the convertor about this and they said I'd need to talk to VW but I have not pushed any further yet. If I have 90 days from registration I will probably wait until I've got the van. Will definitely be considering service packs as well having been stung £650 for a standard 2 year service on my Defender a couple of months ago - I don't think VW servicing is quite as expensive but pre paid servicing may still be the way to go.

5. Pedro

Pedro Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    I know, it's ridiculous, I cover anywhere between 22-25k a year , so service pack was a must.

6. redvers

redvers Member VIP Member T6 Pro

Map
    More like, what conmission they can get out of it ;)

Don't forget that once you have taken the finance out, you can make a substantial partial payment to reduce the debt/interest. And once a couple of weeks have passed, request an early settlement.

(Try to do a full settlement within the first two weeks and they may push you down the right of withdrawal route, which cancels the finance and any associated service agreements)

7. TransporterTim

TransporterTim Member

Map
    Does this only apply if you take out the finance with them? I bought mine outright so will I be able to buy the extended warranty?

VanBlanc likes this.
  8. Polzeylad

We bought ours outright too; no issues extending the warranty.
    We had a lot of problems with our T5.1 Cali so this proper warranty extension (not some insured nonsense) is a massive ownership bonus.

StudleyGlass likes this.
  9. StudleyGlass

StudleyGlass Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    I keep meaning to ask my dealer that as i am paying for mine and i want to extend the warranty

So thats answers that one them. Thanks guys

10. mark

mark Member VIP Member T6 Pro

Map
    I was tempted, but when I asked whether it'll be worth any more when it comes to trading in the answer was just a straight no - it just go's on the book price! . It'll be a selling point but not a dime more. As it'll be swapped in before the standard 3 years I didn't bother.

Caravellet6 likes this.
  11. StudleyGlass

StudleyGlass Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    I will be keeping mine for 5 years at least so its a bargain for me really

12. TransporterTim

TransporterTim Member

Map
    Same here I keep mine for 8 years usually so like to cover it for as long as possible we have 2 other vehicles a t5.1 and a caddy both have the aftermarket mondial insurance warranty that vw offer and it's awful always having to argue over any work being done under wanrranty so if this is like a proper vw warranty I would rather it on this vehicle

Polzeylad likes this.
  13. flyingging

flyingging New Member

Spoke too soon.
    They took the cash but as far as vw are concerned my van hasn't got an extended warranty. The salesman says he's sorted it but he's lieing as vw know nothing. I can see I'm going to have to go and sit there and refuse to go until sorted. Not impressed and very unlikely to buy a van from there again or recommend them to anyone else.
    Cheers flyingging

14. oggie

oggie New Member

Map
    not sure if i would need to extend my warranty for my t6 as i would be selling it after 3 years from new , i think its the only way forward to change every 3 years

15. Polzeylad

Really? Why do you think that?

16. oggie

oggie New Member

Map
    its my view? its better for me to change every 3 years , and i then have no called to worried about extended warranty .

17. Polzeylad

So selling a three year old van and changing to a new one is free?
    The warranty is a full factory one for £350. You sell your van at three years old with the warranty added, it'll sell far quicker.

The old extended warranty was just insurance and total pants but this new VW one is brilliant.

chriscroft likes this.
  18. oggie

oggie New Member

Map
    ok then i take your point about selling a 3 year old camper with added warranty , it will sell far quicker !!
    so i may have a mind change now !!
    NO nothing is free in changing from a 3 year old camper to a new one !! THAT I CAN SEE ! , but that will be the way forward for me as from now on , change ever 3 year s
    as i did not gain nothing for holding onto my 2011 5.1 to a new one , it all runs into £4.500 take or give per year let it be 3 years or 5 years , so why wait 5 years !!!

19. oggie

oggie New Member

Map
    please forward me on the link for the £350 factory one !

20. Polzeylad

You need to ask the dealer; they seem rather reluctant to offer it but I have paperwork here showing we have it; two years, 80k mileage cap (they do higher mileage ones too); I forgot VAT so it's £394.80 for two extra years.

It needs taking out within three months: many have missed out and aren't happy!

I take the view that if a car/van is good and reliable (I've learned that even new vehicles can be a nightmare) and does it's job well then we keep it (almost 6 years for our old BMW 335d Touring), if it's unreliable then we gat shot of it sharpish.
    I've given up on predicting depreciation; I've had "bad" depreciates fetch good money and two "bullet proof" residual cars drop like a stone.
    If this Cali turns out to be a good 'un, we'll hang onto it for a while.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2017