Exploria Kombi Beds

@CRD Only needs a swivel seat and you have a nice office desk :rofl:. Seriously, nice alternative but you need to be able to fasten it down somehow surely? Nice job, as long as all the legs are reduced evenly :whistle:.
I am going to fit some bungees to attach to tie down points on floor. Also, legs have screw out levellers and I may get some of those floor protectors that go between furniture legs and hardwood floors to spread the load a bit.
I'm not claiming it to be a serious alternative to the Exploria bed and was only done on a whim and for a bit of fun. Doubt I'll ever use it as a bed to be honest!

@Thogg, or BigBear as we are now going to call you (If you were ever in the copper chopper, you'd be the bear in the air - convoy reference), what are your thoughts relating to how the extending section does not lock in the extended position? Trying to work out how and what can be retrofired into the rail to lock it.
I would prefer it to lock back but I think it'll probably be fine. I'm not clever enough to retrofit anything to anything though!!

I would prefer it to lock back but I think it'll probably be fine. I'm not clever enough to retrofit anything to anything though!!
Oh come on @Thogg, you are a BigBear who is trained to restrain difficult subjects. What about Velcro straps, you probably know them as "leg restraints" :rofl::whistle::whistle:

Yes mate. It's actually higher than I thought it would be but I'm very happy with it. When I've actually spent a night or two on it I'll review..
Thanks Thogg, thats the one I'm planning on ordering, but like you say its higher than I was expecting. Certainly looks like a quality bit of kit though. Will look forward to the review

Looking at the pictures, do the lashing points still remain in place and usable? I thought they would have to be removed. Bonus if they do stay.

I removed them completely leaving just the barrel and the cup in place. I don't think it'll work leaving them in. You could just lash stuff to the bed legs though!!

Thanks Thogg, I thought I could still see the D Rings in the photos. To be honest can't see me ever needing them anyway!

Thanks Thogg, I thought I could still see the D Rings in the photos. To be honest can't see me ever needing them anyway!
No worries. I was worried whether we'd get cases etc under the bed easily. Needn't have worried at all! Loads of room. Next task it hooking up the LED lighting under the bed. But that can wait for a bit!!

Looking at the pictures, do the lashing points still remain in place and usable? I thought they would have to be removed. Bonus if they do stay.
@surf-report mine was fitted by them and it has retained the lashing rings. Obviously you loss the full movement range of the ring but you can still tie or clip things to it.

Kept mine in, you only get half the movement of the d-ring, but it still works to lash things down if required.
I also have size 4 legs, and have to wonder how the bed fits in on lower legs at the rear. If you look at the picture below the bed deck is just above where the back end narrows around the tail lights. I guess the deck has to be chamfered inwards to account for this on shorter legs. You may need to consider that the size 4 legs are the shortest you can go to get the bed to extend over folded down kombi seats.

WP_20170412_20_08_03_Pro.jpg

I seem to remember reading that size 3 and down the rear tapers in

I never refitted my lashing points, didn't need them, also thought it gives me a few more threads on the bolts, little bit more security when im writhing about on the bed !!
Also those looking at having lower than a 4 leg height, I don't think you can have the rear seats still in place ?

I never refitted my lashing points, didn't need them, also thought it gives me a few more threads on the bolts, little bit more security when im writhing about on the bed !!
Also those looking at having lower than a 4 leg height, I don't think you can have the rear seats still in place ?
Yes you are right @superflyguy, below leg height 4 does not fit over the folded down kombi seats.

Guys, when the bed is in place can you still sit on the back of the van? or is it a bit awkward? Just thinking aloud...

Guys, when the bed is in place can you still sit on the back of the van? or is it a bit awkward? Just thinking aloud...
Do you mean sit on the bumper threshold strip? If so, yep it's a tad awkward as the bed comes right to the back edge of the load space. It can be done though, as if removing dirty boots etc you don't sit bolt upright and bend at the waist. So you can still perch there.

Yes, @DaveyB that's what I was thinking, I suppose with the size 4 legs you have a good balance of space above and below, like you say just for sitting under the tailgate with a brew if it's raining etc. Also if the bed is fully extended and you have front swivels fitted is it close enough to use as a table?

Yes, @DaveyB that's what I was thinking, I suppose with the size 4 legs you have a good balance of space above and below, like you say just for sitting under the tailgate with a brew if it's raining etc. Also if the bed is fully extended and you have front swivels fitted is it close enough to use as a table?
I don't have front swivels however I reckon you could use the front section of the bed for that purpose, and it be close enough.

Back