Expensive wax v Not so expensive wax

@StudleyGlass @Loz The same place also offered me this (is the bit about the remap and the dealer true?):

ECU Mapping Calibration (£399)

The gains in performance are around the 40 bhp mark with an additional 60 – 70 nm of torque. We can reduce the delay in the throttle pedal getting rid of that annoying hesitation. We are also able to remove the trip counter in the ecu that would tell the dealer the vehicle had been mapped making it undetectable therefore avoiding the potential warranty issues. As I mentioned their maybe a chance the dealer would wipe the map when doing an update but for a small charge we can reinstall file, re calibrating for the dealer tweaks. The map is completely custom and would be made especially for your van, this mean we can adapt the mapping to suit any driving style or particular requirements you may have (towing, motorway or economy).

I thought £399 inc VAT wasn't that bad a price BTW, thoughts on that too? Sorry to go off thread on this one @Pedro

Go on the g technique website and get a price. The crystal serum black can only be applied by a certified detailer. The crystal serum light can be done by anyone. Find a certified dealer and see what they offer local to you.

Cheers mutely!! :)

Some of you are paying crazy money.
I sold our last California to a dealer who was gobsmacked at how pristine it was.

That's simple claying, polishing and sealing once in a while with regular two bucket washes after a snowfoam.

No mega bucks stuff, just adhering to a few simple rules and a fairly decent but still modest set of products. And I live in a place where the sea air batters anything (our cars are parked outside).

Same with our old 335d.

Does a van really need over £500 spending on detailing it?!

Does a van really need over £500 spending on detailing it?!

That depends on how you look at things.

I can spend a good 10 hours detailing my car every few months as that's how long the products I use last. Now that's roughly £800 of my business time.

The g techniq crystal serum light lasts about 5 years and will only really need a quick wash down every week of so.

That depends on how you look at things.

I can spend a good 10 hours detailing my car every few months as that's how long the products I use last. Now that's roughly £800 of my business time.

The g techniq crystal serum light lasts about 5 years and will only really need a quick wash down every week of so.

Others run businesses too you know...

I'd be very surprised if any "system" lasted five years.
It reminds me of the dealer applied stuff with £30 of products costing £300+ and apparently lasting three years.

I'm sure this stuff is good but I'm confident regular care with half decent kit is just as good if not better. Does it rinse the chassis/wheelarches/suspension/brakes for you? Does it clean the door seals for you? Does it wash off bird muck? And tree sap? Does it remove leaves? Does it clean muck off the floor? Does it remove all dust? Does it clean the windscreen inside and out? Does it vacuum the carpet for you? Does it pressure wash your foot mats? The list goes on...

Last edited:
Always washed my cars with Fairy Liquid followed by an occasion session with Mer... Job Done!

Fairy liquid!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I will lose sleep over that!

Ha ha! I thought that might have raised a couple of eyebrows, @Loz @Polzeylad I know about the salt content etc. but I've always used used a drop in a bucket of hot water on all my motorcycles and cars over the years, never any problems as long as it's all rinsed off properly and I'm quite meticulous about how I look after my toys :thumbsdown:

Just use cheap car shampoo and we can all relax and be happy again. ;)

Oh and a wash mitt NOT a sponge.

Oh and two buckets, one with a grit guard.

And and and and... :laugh:

3 buckets, one for wheels. And filters to rinse it down once your done, almost dries itself

Others run businesses too you know...

I'd be very surprised if any "system" lasted five years.
It reminds me of the dealer applied stuff with £30 of products costing £300+ and apparently lasting three years.

You missed my point. What I meant was not everyone has time to detail their cars. That's why you pay £xxx amount for someone else to do it. £600 for a couple of days detailing isn't bad. I charge that depending on product.
Plus once detailed with a decent ceramic sealant it's easier in the long run to maintain.

I agree a few years could be a bit optimistic and certainly there will be better products to give a better finish.

That's why i use a different product on my car than the Van as the other sealant looks much better but only lasts a few months.
Certain sealants last longer than others. G techniq say the csl will last up to 5 years and the cs black 7 years.

The dealer applied stuff will last depending on who put it on but not a lifetime like they seem to offer.

Chipsaway are a supaguard dealer depending on the franchisees that taker it on. I personally don't endorse it as I find better products myself plus I make more money painting cars instead of detailing.

Agreed on Supagard; my 335d had it done for "free" and it soon wore off but I did get a big bag of products which were handy.

I always find time to look after ours cars and van; and they need extra tlc as we live by the sea. I'd pay for a physical barrier like Ventureshield but not crazy money for a detail.

Save the cash for a good machine polish a couple of years down the line.

Back