Expensive wax v Not so expensive wax

Pedro

Sock Model
VIP Member
T6 Guru
This is in relation to waxes more than other products and my question is are the more expensive waxes that much different in quality to justify their price ?
I have used Zymol Destiny on my van ( this is only due to having it to use on another vehicle) and I thought I'd throw a couple of coats on over a few weeks. This cost £570 for the jar
The finish that I get with it is flawless and it's so easy to use.
Today I was parked by another T6 which was blackberry, the shine and finish again was flawless, on speaking to the owner he informed me that it was Autoglym super resin polish followed by Autoglym extra gloss protection which totalled around £30
Even the feel of it against the paint was the same.
So again are the expensive brands really worth the extra ?

My van has a ceramic coating, but I use autoglm on both our cars never had a problem with it.

My van has a ceramic coating, but I use autoglm on both our cars never had a problem with it.

Yes the ceramic coatings are a different animal altogether and definitely more user friendly, and seem to only be applied by professionals.
I'm just wondering what ( if any) differences there are in the waxes ?

Too me it really depends on the colour and how much metallic or pearlescent is in the paintwork.

However I moved from waxes to synthetic sealants and never looked back.
I use a product based on colour of the vehicle.

Too me it really depends on the colour and how much metallic or pearlescent is in the paintwork.

However I moved from waxes to synthetic sealants and never looked back.
I use a product based on colour of the vehicle.

what synthetic sealants do you use on white then ?

I'm using Swissvax Shield. Lasts about 6 months.
Again that's not a cheap wax, but have you noticed a considerable difference between that and any others you have used ?

Again that's not a cheap wax, but have you noticed a considerable difference between that and any others you have used ?
Yes - over the years I've tried Autoglym ( everything! ), Mer, Meguiars, etc. which are polishes mostly. Swissvax is the first proper wax I've used but most waxes with a decent Carnauba content should be ok. Why not try Autoglym High Definition Wax as a starter and see how you get on. Can always eBay it if you fancy a change?

what synthetic sealants do you use on white then ?

On my pearl white prelude I use Werkstat Acrylic sealant. Werkstat had now gone and is replaced with carlack acrylic.

For looks it's outstanding. Pearlescent flake pop is insane. Nice and wet.

On a solid white it will appear more sharp.

Wax looks great on warm colours though.

Yes - over the years I've tried Autoglym ( everything! ), Mer, Meguiars, etc. which are polishes mostly. Swissvax is the first proper wax I've used but most waxes with a decent Carnauba content should be ok. Why not try Autoglym High Definition Wax as a starter and see how you get on. Can always eBay it if you fancy a change?

Will definitely carry on using the zymol , but really surprised by the quality and depth of shine that Autoglym gave on the van, and just made me wonder what is in the more expensive waxes to justify the price tag ( apart from carnuba volume ) :thumbsup:

That's it basically. Higher content. Shield comes with PTFE which stops the dirt sticking - works ok too.

Will definitely carry on using the zymol , but really surprised by the quality and depth of shine that Autoglym gave on the van, and just made me wonder what is in the more expensive waxes to justify the price tag ( apart from carnuba volume ) :thumbsup:

Have got "Destiny" and "Concours" both really easy to use but think Concours has a glossier finish. Always give it a quick spritz with Evian in the evening and wipe down.Seems to make the gloss pop a little more in the morning.

Had concours but was put onto destiny after having motor done in detailers, only ever topped up coatings on car but really do like finish of it on van but maybe it's down to being a darker colour, but again this was due to detailers saying he swears by destiny as a cheaper alternative to Royal , but does the more expensive price tag justify it over concours ? I'm starting to pickle my own head with this now :confused:

Last edited:
I posted a photo of my wifes old T5 California bonnet withme taking a photo in the refelction, She polished it with Autoglym and we have done the same to my black Suzuki Swift. I can't knock the stuff gives us the finish we want.

I posted a photo of my wifes old T5 California bonnet withme taking a photo in the refelction, She polished it with Autoglym and we have done the same to my black Suzuki Swift. I can't knock the stuff gives us the finish we want.
As I said I couldn't believe just how flawless the finish on the blackberry was, which brought me to ask the question.:thumbsup:

With the mucky roads we get around here, my main reason for waxing/sealing is for protection rather than having a deepest shine ever - the shininess never last long.
I look after our vehicles to make them easier to look after. If that makes any sense?!

Having waxed for many years (and I'm not referring to my personal attire :) ) I have found the Armor All Shield to be the fastest and most effective wipe-on-wipe-off product on the market for keeping the dirt off for longer and its much easier to wash off the dirt when it comes to cleaning day.

Last edited:
Like the looks of that @Polzeylad , it's going to be my next purchase, do you leave it on for 10 mins before taking off ?

Back