EGR flexi-pipe: Exhaust Fumes In Cab, Hissing From Engine Bay.

Tourershine

Senior Citizen.
VIP Member
T6 Master
I seem to have what I initially thought was an exhaust leak, but after further investigation sounds more like an air leak round the right rear back side of the engine.
I wouldn't ordinarily be concerned and just get it into VW to looked at. (It's actually the first issue I've ever had with my T6)

However, I'm going on holiday next week and my colleague takes over my business and has a lot of jobs, and a lot of miles to cover whist I'm away, so don't want a call saying the vans packed up etc.

It's not effected any power, or brakes, and no warning lights have come on.
It's just a general hiss on tickover, that you can hear when you blip the throttle.

Any previous vacuum issues would be appreciated.

Last edited:
What are you looking for mate, do you want the part number so you can change the part yourself ? If so post a couple pics further back so I can see where it’s located/orientated and I will get some diagrams and parts numbers up for you

What are you looking for mate, do you want the part number so you can change the part yourself ? If so post a couple pics further back so I can see where it’s located/orientated and I will get some diagrams and parts numbers up for you

I just want to identify what that flexy pipe is, so VW can get the part under warranty.
They've asked me to book in the van, so they can find the issue, so thought it would be quicker to tell them what part to order.

Is it bolted to the turbo? Wastegate return pipe perhaps? Would explain the air leak sound.

It's hard to see because it's at the back of the engine.
Thankfully there's no actual issues as yet, and VW are happy to order the part off the picture, plus this picture showing the crack.

Screenshot_20180728-133741_Gallery.jpg

Probably way of the mark but it looks similar to the pipe I took of my Defender when I blocked the EGR.

Hi, can i ask more about your problem as it sounds like could be something similar going on with my T6. Over the last few weeks noticed a whooshing type sound, that i assumed was the turbo, but its much more frequent that a turbo sound and last longer. Particular prevailant on start up. Have let it go for a while with intention to get it booked in at some point, but then noticed few days ago exhaust fumes smell in the cab. Thought i was imagining it at first, sat at a petrol station today waiting for the car in front to move on thinking blimey his car stinks, then i heard him start up the engine and i was like uh oh that small is my van!
Checked again today and definitely smell getting in the cab.

Hi, can i ask more about your problem as it sounds like could be something similar going on with my T6. Over the last few weeks noticed a whooshing type sound, that i assumed was the turbo, but its much more frequent that a turbo sound and last longer. Particular prevailant on start up. Have let it go for a while with intention to get it booked in at some point, but then noticed few days ago exhaust fumes smell in the cab. Thought i was imagining it at first, sat at a petrol station today waiting for the car in front to move on thinking blimey his car stinks, then i heard him start up the engine and i was like uh oh that small is my van!
Checked again today and definitely smell getting in the cab.

As I just mentioned in your other post, i'm having the same problem. The fume smell only started today, but the whooshing noise started a couple of days ago. Like you, I thought it was a car in front of me, but quickly realised it was coming from my engine bay.
You can hear the leak when you pop the bonnet with the engine running, and it is obvious when you feel near the pipe for a leak.

Parkway VW Leicester are calling me tomorrow (hopefully) with an update on the part, and i'm hoping they either have it in stock, or are able to get it before I go on holiday. I'd prefer them to fit it whist I wait, but have no problem fitting it myself if they cannot in time. It's only 4 multi-spline bolts.

Thanks so much for your help!

Will let you know how i get on

Just a quick update.
My dealer in Leicester contacted me this morning saying not to drive the vehicle due to the damage it will cause :confused: and they cannot get it in till the end of August, which obviously doesn't work for me. They did suggest taking it elsewhere, getting another van centre to recover it, but told them I'd fix it myself.

Ordered part from TPS, be here tomorrow and all of £20 with vat, so ordered 2 just in case this starts to become a common problem.

It looks like an easy 4 bolt job, but I will let you know tomorrow.

Ok i managed to get mine booked in for Thursday, so will let you know what they say. Unfortunately i am not very technical so not sure what i’m Looking at myself...

Ok i managed to get mine booked in for Thursday, so will let you know what they say. Unfortunately i am not very technical so not sure what i’m Looking at myself...

Collected part from TPS earlier, and had it swapped over within 20 mins.
It's not a difficult job, but one of the bolts is a little awkward to get to, but well within most peoples skills if they have the right kit.
Obviously this has cured my issue, and as I purchased 2 of these, I now have a spare should it crack again.

Collected part from TPS earlier, and had it swapped over within 20 mins.
It's not a difficult job, but one of the bolts is a little awkward to get to, but well within most peoples skills if they have the right kit.
Obviously this has cured my issue, and as I purchased 2 of these, I now have a spare should it crack again.
Did it come with the shim/gaskets or did/were you able to reuse the existing ones?

Back