Excessive fuel use

Jer1978

Afternoon all , would anyone have any ideas why my 204 t6 is now struggling to achieve anything over 27mpg?
it has a 116k on the clock , I’m fairly sure I used to get 32/34 mpg.
Any ideas gratefully received

It seems to me that for very 10 people on here driving T6s, you will get 10 different ranges of MPG. Personally, the best I've ever had out of my 150PS manual was 34 (on a long run in warm weather!) but the last time that I filled up (a couple of weeks ago), it was only 28 when I did the sums - that's all actual MPG calculated on a brim to brim basis (the car computer always says a bit more). I will say that the last thing that I think about when driving is MPG but that's the same as when I drive my main car which is an automatic Audi SUV with a lot more power than the van and which consistently gives a better MPG. Somebody will be along soon to say that they average 45 or even 50 MPG in their T6 but I remain sceptical that such a thing is even possible in real world driving situations.

Reactions: .50
No I didn't. The fact is that there just might not be an easy explanation other than 'sh1t happens' and also your complaint about lower MPG is happening in colder weather which is no real surprise. In any ever, you said you were only 'fairly sure' that you used to see better consumption.

Always used to get over 400 out of a tank full , now 320 / 340
What I was wondering more is could there be a fault or issue causing it , ie fuel filter , air filter or something else

Mine seems to be down on mpg
Had it serviced last month but also went from 18” to 20” wheels so just assumed it was that I do a lot of driving and can definitely tell I’m filling up more
But to be fair Iv not done any calculations

I haven’t done any calcs either but defo using more and not sure if it’s since it was serviced last , it’s due in again Thursday so will get them to have a look

I’m a bit mpg obsessed. For over 10 years have used an app to record my fill ups. It’s useful to see mpg as it changes with seasons, mods, road trips, etc.

I’m new to my T6. Just filled up properly for the first time.

33.6mpg with mixed driving. Admittedly I’m a rather chilled driver. Slow on the motorway. Soft on the pedals.

204 DSG with 105k miles.

CBAF34C8-A33D-4E30-A852-6A77CC0EFC9F.jpeg

7E12C20D-191E-4EDE-9093-36B41C4DC14A.jpeg

I’m a bit mpg obsessed. For over 10 years have used an app to record my fill ups. It’s useful to see mpg as it changes with seasons, mods, road trips, etc.

I’m new to my T6. Just filled up properly for the first time.

33.6mpg with mixed driving. Admittedly I’m a rather chilled driver. Slow on the motorway. Soft on the pedals.

204 DSG with 105k miles.

View attachment 113876

View attachment 113877
Sounds about right?

Sounds about right?

Yep. All my reading on here suggests that’s the experience of most people.

I’m toying with the idea of a remap. I wonder if it makes much difference.

I can see now I was foolish hoping for 40! And I still need to convert to a camper... mpg sure to drop with the added weight.

Yep. All my reading on here suggests that’s the experience of most people.

I’m toying with the idea of a remap. I wonder if it makes much difference.

I can see now I was foolish hoping for 40! And I still need to convert to a camper... mpg sure to drop with the added weight.
By all means get your van mapped, but don't expect any meaningful increase in economy, your van may be nicer to drive but even if it does 1 more mpg that will take years to pay for the remap.
33 MPG isn't too bad for a vehicle that big.

My 204, dsg, 4-Mo diesel only averages about 24, but will see 30 on a run. Before/after my Revo map it didn’t really change at all.

I haven’t done any calcs either but defo using more and not sure if it’s since it was serviced last , it’s due in again Thursday so will get them to have a look
I‘d suggest that the calculations are the first step, knowing the facts is the first step to any diagnosis.

I‘d suggest that the calculations are the first step, knowing the facts is the first step to any diagnosis.

Very good point. And I wouldn’t trust the van display. Do the calcs yourself. I’ve used an app called Road Trip for 10 years+. It’s great.

I've just run the numbers on my recent road trip to the South of France in our 2018 T6 150PS manual full camper conversion. We drove a total of 1916 miles, 385 of which were the two legs of the trip from Gloucestershire to Eurotunnel and back but the rest was mainly quiet(ish) French toll motorways rarely exceeding 70MPH and mostly in 6th with cruise control on. Overall consumption, full tank to full tank worked out at a smidgeon over 35MPG. The van now has a total of 8100 on the odometer and I can but hope that at some point, the engine will decide that it has loosened up enough for it to start giving better MPG (then again, I try to be an optimist and it's the hope that kills you in the end).

Last edited:
I have a 150 dsg shuttle lwb, T6.
I'm yet to beat 39mpg on a long run at 60 ish mph. Doesn't drop much if I do 70 mph either.
Get about 30 mpg mixed driving.
69 plate with 13k miles on the clock !

Damp air…cooler days…soot building up( more regens) …tyre pressure….Town driving…the list goes on but all have impacts on fuel economy…But still for me it’s the fun factor…gave up worrying about fuel when I started towing…Don’t get me wrong it’s good to monitor the vans consumption on all fluids…even little fixes like changing a dirty air filter more often can help but if think a paper element and wet/damp/cold will make the engine work harder..even I struggle on cold mornings :)

Back