Excessive carbon build up on manifold

jon F

I have a problem with my T6.1 relating to excessive carbon build up on the inlet manifold. The van has done 57k and just out of warranty and VW are saying it is wear and tear. Has any one else suffered this problem where they have had to have their engine stripped ?

Begs some questions?
How can a 6.1 be out of warranty?
How do they know its carbon buildup without stripping it out?
What were the symptoms/error codes?
what are you running it on? (Chip oil?)

Full service history with VW. 57k miles 2016 so T6 ! Fuel is proper diesel not chip oil but you may be right BP swapping it for chip oil ! They have stripped it without my permission and found a build of carbon on the manifold sensor.

That makes more sense :)
I would push back a bit and suggest they could have just replaced the sensor and that they have undertaken the additional work at their own expense?
Ask for some VW goodwill as the mileage is average for the age?

Any diesel engine with an EGR valve with 57K on the clock will have some carbon build up in the inlet manifold, fact of life, what were the symptoms that ended with it at the dealers?

It has been back in for engine management light coming on so they carried out a load of repairs including glo plugs egr stuff and hoses etc. Got home and now engine man light on again. They have taken it back in and now had it over two weeks and still struggling to find the issue so say it is carbon build up in the manifold.

This is the repair work that VW have carried out since June and their reply.

In June the vehicle visited out van centre with the engine management light on (30/07/2020 at 53012 miles) we carried out a software upgrade for a the fault recorded, the repair solution provided by Volkswagen was related a code stored for add blue system, this repair included a software up-date and replacement of a EGR Pipe.

In October the engine management light was on again (28/10/2020 at 57099 miles) The fault on this occasion was related to a pressure sensor which is built-in to the glow plug on cylinder number three, during the replacement of the pressure sensor. Following the replacement of the pressure sensor we also re-generated the DPF filter as part of the process instructed from Volkswagen UK

As you are aware the engine management light is again back on (06/11/2020 at 57679 miles) due to the above repairs being carried out recently I instructed the team to investigate further at no cost to yourself. At this stage we made contact with Volkswagen technical Volkswagen who have then instructed us to check the measuring values for the NOx sensor after the initial warmup period, these values came back ok. The next instruction from Volkswagen technical was to check the add blue injection system which also checked out ok. We were then informed that an EGR test would be the next step this also checked out ok. After this it was requested we check out the exhausting in-take system for leaks both of these checks came back ok. Volkswagen then recommended we remove the intake sensor and check in the intake manifold for carbon build-up. This image was sent to Volkswagen deemed the build-up of carbon on the sensor to be excessive and requested we stripped down the front of the engine and inspect, intake manifold valves and ports on the cylinder head these also had a build-up of carbon.

They are now suggesting I pay for it because it is fair wear and tear. Never have I had a vehicle do this at this age.

I have a problem with my T6.1 relating to excessive carbon build up on the inlet manifold. The van has done 57k and just out of warranty and VW are saying it is wear and tear. Has any one else suffered this problem where they have had to have their engine stripped ?

"Full service history with VW. 57k miles 2016 so T6 ! Fuel is proper diesel not chip oil but you may be right BP swapping it for chip oil ! They have stripped it without my permission and found a build of carbon on the manifold sensor."

I resume that, "T6.1" was a typo?:unsure: Sorry I am a little confused. As usual.:laugh:

This is the repair work that VW have carried out since June and their reply.

In June the vehicle visited out van centre with the engine management light on (30/07/2020 at 53012 miles) we carried out a software upgrade for a the fault recorded, the repair solution provided by Volkswagen was related a code stored for add blue system, this repair included a software up-date and replacement of a EGR Pipe.

In October the engine management light was on again (28/10/2020 at 57099 miles) The fault on this occasion was related to a pressure sensor which is built-in to the glow plug on cylinder number three, during the replacement of the pressure sensor. Following the replacement of the pressure sensor we also re-generated the DPF filter as part of the process instructed from Volkswagen UK

As you are aware the engine management light is again back on (06/11/2020 at 57679 miles) due to the above repairs being carried out recently I instructed the team to investigate further at no cost to yourself. At this stage we made contact with Volkswagen technical Volkswagen who have then instructed us to check the measuring values for the NOx sensor after the initial warmup period, these values came back ok. The next instruction from Volkswagen technical was to check the add blue injection system which also checked out ok. We were then informed that an EGR test would be the next step this also checked out ok. After this it was requested we check out the exhausting in-take system for leaks both of these checks came back ok. Volkswagen then recommended we remove the intake sensor and check in the intake manifold for carbon build-up. This image was sent to Volkswagen deemed the build-up of carbon on the sensor to be excessive and requested we stripped down the front of the engine and inspect, intake manifold valves and ports on the cylinder head these also had a build-up of carbon.

They are now suggesting I pay for it because it is fair wear and tear. Never have I had a vehicle do this at this age.
The joy of sending manky exhaust fumes back into the air intake system. :thumbsdown:
I wonder if the EGR valve hadn't fully closed, allowing exhaust gases into the intake at all times, rather than just when it's supposed to?

Reactions: DXX
Hmm. That is an interesting comment. I will raise this with VW as they have replaced the EGR valve on its last visit to the garage !

Hi, I am not sure but VW have said it is fair wear and tear for a fully main dealer serviced car at 57k !

Hi, I am not sure but VW have said it is fair wear and tear for a fully main dealer serviced car at 57k !
How they needed your van for more than 2 weeks to carry out this work is beyond me, but how much are they billing you for?

Back